Console Recommendations

Started by Bison, January 14, 2016, 03:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

Bison, if you go here, you can see all of the games you can get for Xbox.  I know Wii has the same thing.  Might make it easier to search for games.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-one?xr=shellnav
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Barthheart on January 15, 2016, 10:21:35 AM
Does the PS4 have an online system?

One of the main reason me and my gaming group have Xboxes is because of Xbox live. We're spread out all over the province now and it's an easy way we can get together for some hack and slash gaming once a month. It costs me $70 CDN a year for that service and worth every penny. Also lets me play World of Tanks on my big screen....  :)

Haven't graduated to the Xbone yet..... need to save up on money and Wife points.....

Of course it does. It's called PSN, or PlayStation Network, and in my opinion it's much better than Xbox live.

Most of its features are free, but you can join PSN+ and get some extra goodies, like free games, for a monthly fee.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

Just to muddy the waters, I despise the format the PSN was revised to a few years ago. Searching through my purchases is the poop on that particular cake, though -- I could handle the other changes, but last time I checked (admittedly several months ago) such a 'search' is limited to scrolling down in reverse purchase order through a list.

Searching for games, I rather like Gamefaqs.com. It lists even games from Japan unavailable in the US, and games that never came to exist!  >:D Lots of sort options, and they include a review-score compilation with links to the reviews (where on line).

One could meanwhile, for console upgrade purposes (since unless you're going WiiU and have Wii games already, you won't have backward compatibility worth anything), consider an NVidia Gameshield or a Steambox. My impression is that they convert PC gaming to a console-ish experience.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 16, 2016, 10:31:03 AM
Just to muddy the waters, I despise the format the PSN was revised to a few years ago. Searching through my purchases is the poop on that particular cake, though -- I could handle the other changes, but last time I checked (admittedly several months ago) such a 'search' is limited to scrolling down in reverse purchase order through a list.

Searching for games, I rather like Gamefaqs.com. It lists even games from Japan unavailable in the US, and games that never came to exist!  >:D Lots of sort options, and they include a review-score compilation with links to the reviews (where on line).

One could meanwhile, for console upgrade purposes (since unless you're going WiiU and have Wii games already, you won't have backward compatibility worth anything), consider an NVidia Gameshield or a Steambox. My impression is that they convert PC gaming to a console-ish experience.

Just to muddy the waters further. I feel exactly the opposite. I far prefer the UI of the PSN than the xboxone. I despise the new Microsoft live format. PSN is sleeker, cleaner and much easier to navigate.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grimnirsson

QuoteMost of its features are free, but you can join PSN+ and get some extra goodies, like free games, for a monthly fee.

Well, fact is you do need XBL and PS+ to play games online, so that's exactly the same on both the XO and the PS4. Only Nintendo Online is completely free.
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Bison

I was soooooooooo close to walking out of BestBuy with a console today and then I froze...why?  I'm not sure I starting thinking about exclusives, baseball, and the controllers.  To top it off I stopped by 3 damned stores today to try and play some demos on the xbox and ps4 with the kids.  I want to see how they handle the controllers, but the demos were not working for either system in any store.  The BestBuy guy told me how the BestBuy contracts out the damned floor demo stations and they need to call in a work order for the contractor to get the demo working again, which can take two week to happen.  What?  It's freaking BestBuy.  You telling me with all of the electronics geeks working in the store they couldn't, I don't know, maintain their own damned store demo consoles?  For pete's sake any damned 10 year old who walks in the store could hook up a damn xbox or ps4 to a tv in 10 minutes and have it running.  Unbelievable is all I can say on that front.

mirth

Quote from: Bison on January 17, 2016, 02:18:14 AM
I was soooooooooo close to walking out of BestBuy with a console today and then I froze...why?  I'm not sure I starting thinking about exclusives, baseball, and the controllers.  To top it off I stopped by 3 damned stores today to try and play some demos on the xbox and ps4 with the kids.  I want to see how they handle the controllers, but the demos were not working for either system in any store.  The BestBuy guy told me how the BestBuy contracts out the damned floor demo stations and they need to call in a work order for the contractor to get the demo working again, which can take two week to happen.  What?  It's freaking BestBuy.  You telling me with all of the electronics geeks working in the store they couldn't, I don't know, maintain their own damned store demo consoles?  For pete's sake any damned 10 year old who walks in the store could hook up a damn xbox or ps4 to a tv in 10 minutes and have it running.  Unbelievable is all I can say on that front.

Dear Lord, I'm close to buying you an Xbox One and sending it to you!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Bison

I'll take the Elite Bundle (1TB) with an additional controller.  :P

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Bison on January 17, 2016, 02:18:14 AM

Sounds suspiciously like a government operation.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Bison

I had the same thought myself actually.

Bison

Apparently couch co-op is becoming a thing of the past.  In my obession research to decide between the Xbone and PS4, I looked up games that have couch co-op.  Basically I was looking for games that a. played co-op, and b. used split screen in particular I was looking at racing games and lego-like games.  Of all of the current popular racing games only one had co-op split screen Forza 6.  It looks like the lego games are co-op and split screen now, unlike the previous versions but it also seems that Lego dimensions is stealing some of the resources from the old school lego games.  No point here other than I don't get it.  Consoles are, at least I thought, a social activity with friends in the same room.  However now it seems that everything is solo, local gaming, or multiplayer online.

Grimnirsson

QuoteApparently couch co-op is becoming a thing of the past.

That's a correct observation and sadly true. Hiimori and I used to play couch coop/splitscreen MP as long as we played on consoles and we began to realize that this is often kicked as a feature in many games. Still, it seems there's a trend maybe that designers become aware that this is not obsolete because everybody has DSL and there are games out there that support it. We had a blast playing every Borderlands game in couch coop, we love Diablo 3 with Reaper of Souls, are currently into the Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition RPG, even CoD is great for couch MP online (although the splitscreen in BO3 is kinda crap because of the tiny fonts)...if you look out for these games you can find them. Battleborn will be the same coop/online/couch/MP/splitscreen play as you wish style of game as was Borderlands.
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Bison

Diablo 3 is on the short list of games to get regardless of my final decision.

Barthheart

Quote from: Bison on January 18, 2016, 02:11:44 PM
Diablo 3 is on the short list of games to get regardless of my final decision.

By the time you make up yer mind the next generation consoles will be out....  :P

Bison