Middle Provincial Era GROGPUBLIC game thread

Started by JasonPratt, September 17, 2018, 05:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Quote from: Erax on October 07, 2018, 05:26:13 PM
I'm not sure how deficit spending (with a Plutocrat Consul) works so I meant 3 legions now.

As long as a Plutocrat is the highest ranking available officer present in Rome, processing an expense below 0 in the Republic's Treasury won't lose everyone the game. Later once other offices open up, it would be feasible for other senators to march off to War as Consuls and leave behind a Plutocrat as Pontifex Maximus or Censor or something like that. Doesn't matter what as long as the Plutocrat is HRAO when an expense tries to draw from nothing in the Treasury -- but a debt will be kept track of.

Someone from another Faction can be HRAO without tanking the Senate from a Treasury debt, as long as a net expense doesn't go down any farther. I would allow normal expense batch processing to have some negatives in there, as long as the overall result was positive by the end. For example, normal segment 3 activity at the end of the Revenue Phase is going to need to pay for any Active units, which is a debit, but as long as Rome has less debt or an actual surplus by the end of the process I wouldn't call it a game-over. The expense batch would have to make the debt worse, to count as fatal. But with a Plutocrat as HRAO, any expense batch creating debt or making it worse wouldn't be fatal.

Doing that is still risky, though, since you can't always perfectly guarantee a Plutocrat is HRAO for every possible net debt expense! He might keel over dead from the Mortality Phase, for example, and the next HRAO in sequence down the line might be a Populist.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Quote from: Ethel the Frog on October 07, 2018, 07:08:15 PM
Okay.  It is time for a new election.  I am stepping down as Roman Consul.

I need to nominate two new Consuls. I nominate Cornelius for Roman Consul, and Fabius for Field Consul.

In case anyone wants a shortcut to find them, Cornelius is Faction Leader for I.I.'s Aristocrats (the purple Player One), and Fabius is a senator for AzTank's Conservatives (the brown Player Four). That should help you find them more easily in the snapshots above.  O:-)

This, incidentally, would help clear the decks for more militaristic Consuls next turn, when odds are better that you'll be facing one or more Wars!

I will note that, flipping them around, Fabius' 2 Popularity will help more as Roman Consul than Cornelius' 0 Pop, toward reducing Unrest next Turn during the State of the Republic speech.

Edited to add: I'm assuming the Frog is waiting to give Players time to discuss or suggest alternatives before calling the vote, at which point discussion will be prohibited (and he'll have to provide the order he's calling the Factions for votes.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Erax

Actually the PM doesn't nominate the offices, he nominates the two Senators (Cornelius and Fabius) and if they're elected their players decide which one gets Rome Consul (or they roll a die if they can't come to an agreement).

JasonPratt

...ah, yep, that's correct. That's actually in my rule compilation flow-sheet, too. I had just forgotten.  O:-)

Ethel the Frog

Ok.  I vote for.  And, the proposal is the two for consul, they decide among themselves which is which. 

Vote order is:

Progressives, Neutralists, Aristocrats, Expansionists Populists, Militarists, conservatives.

Erax

JasonPratt

Quote from: Ethel the Frog on October 08, 2018, 07:57:03 PM
Ok.  I vote for.  And, the proposal is the two for consul, they decide among themselves which is which. 

Vote order is:

Progressives, Neutralists, Aristocrats, Expansionists Populists, Militarists, conservatives.

The Neutralists and Expansionsts aren't active yet.

JasonPratt

Okay, let's see.

Plutocrat + Progressive block votes = 9 + 4 = 13 for vs currently 0 against. Potentially 31 votes remain either way.

I.I.'s Aristocrats are next, with potentially 8 for or against. (They don't have the highest total Influence, so their 1 knight can't activist vote x2 this time, only x1.)

While I'm at it, Erax's Progressives could have voted 5 against, since Flaminius' 1 knight would have triggered his activist ability (x2 votes) against a proposal for some other senators' gain, the idea being that the senator believed this proposal would be at the expense of the people or the Republic in general. Had he voted against the proposal and won, that particular senator would have gained 2 Influence! (Plautius wouldn't have gained it, because he doesn't have a knight yet as a minion to trigger activist x2 voting.)

This represents the special ability, but also the temptation, of the Progressive Faction: to act against what they see as corruption in the Senate, and in favor of the people (through Land Bills), and so convince other minor senators (in the invisible pool behind the minions) to join their vote. They're the only faction who can farm Influence this way.

JasonPratt

Mmm, checking vote tallies.

13 for vs currently 0 against. Potentially 31 votes remain either way.

I know for a fact that AzTank (on a Google hangout where it's easier to get in touch with the Frog) already agrees with the proposal, so the Aristocrats will add +11 for.

New tally 24 for vs currently 0 against. Potentially 20 votes remain either way. And that by itself means there's a majority win, since it would be impossible for everyone else voting against to win with the remaining potential votes.

Since there's no benefit in this case for anyone else to vote against (their senators won't gain anything, and any 'against' vote can't win), I'll skip ahead to implement the victory.  O:-)

JasonPratt

Fabius of the Conservatives, and Cornelius, Faction Leader of the Aristocrats, have been elected as Consuls. Each gains 3 Influence, bringing their personal totals up to 8 each. Total Influence goes up to 18 for the Aristocrats, edged out by 19 for the Conservatives.

Next, I.I. and AzTank will have to work out between them who gets to be Field and Roman Consul. The main difference at this point, is that the Roman Consul will be HRAO for the next turn, and will be responsible for leading the Senate: making proposals about the Army for this turn, and about new Consuls next Turn.

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

AzTank's senator leads the Republic on an even roll:

[blockquote]Rolled 1d2 : 2, total 2[/blockquote]

JasonPratt

Fabius is Roman Consul; Cornelius of the Aristocrats will be Field Consul -- for this Turn, kind of an honorary position. ;)

JasonPratt

No more Mandatory business remains this Turn.

To recap your current proposal options, which being non-Mandatory can be proposed in any order (if at all):

You could disband your remaining 4th Legion if you really wanted to, but you'd only end up needing to raise it again sooner than its disbanding would save money on.

Another non-Mandatory option open right now is to raise new Legions. However, you'll have to pay upkeep on them next Revenue Phase, and you don't actually need any right now; and if you do need some next Turn (which is highly probable), you'll have time to raise and send them during the next Senate. Of course you might not have the cash next Turn, but if you spent the cash now you'd be even farther in the hole.

Your last non-Mandatory option would be to pass another land bill to try to reduce unrest to a more manageable level. The financial stresses aren't good for that, though: a Type 2 Land Bill reduces Unrest by 2 when it's passed, but you'll be paying upkeep of 5 Talents per Turn in perpetuity. A Type 3 Land Bill reduces Unrest by 3, but you'll be paying upkeep of 10 Talents. Note that you don't get a new Unrest drop each Turn! -- but you do have to keep paying each Turn. Repealing them later will bring back the same Unrest you reduced.

Someone upthread had opined that it's better to pick up new Legions now, since later you may not have the cash to do so. In either case, however, you're now operating without a financial safety net, since one of the Plutocrats isn't HRAO.

Erax

The Republic has 39 talents now, and there won't be any expenses (besides raising legions) between now and next turn's revenue phase, so I suggest we raise 3 legions; we won't go bankrupt before new income rolls in. Yes, we'll need to spend 6 talents on upkeep that we'd save if we didn't raise them now, but there are circumstances (unrest and events, if I remember right) which could make legions harder or even impossible to raise next turn, and right now we have no such restrictions.