Middle Provincial Era GROGPUBLIC game thread

Started by JasonPratt, September 17, 2018, 05:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erax

If the event doesn't fire (best case scenario), we have a 95% chance of victory.

If the event does fire (worst case scenario), it essentially takes out one of our dice, so we'd have to get 14+ on 2d6+8, which is still a 72% chance.

And JP, you can get the 'colored die' effect on forum code by rolling 2d6 and then a separate roll of 1d6.

JasonPratt

^^ True on the colored die effect, good call.

Keep in mind that if you beat the Veientine War, the Republic will permanently gain an extra 10 Talents per Turn of income (effectively immediately on the following Turn), and will permanently unlock the 8th, 9th, and 10th Legions in logistic potential. So you'll have an easier time beating on new Wars coming up -- and on the Aequian War (which only has an equivalent power of 2 Legions).

The War against your neighboring Etruscan city of Veia, is arguably the single most important War in the Latin Era, for this reason. The Republic gets a one-time spoil harvest from other Wars, and some semi-permanent taxable farmland to manage (representing the agri publica, or public land, granted to senators usually for management, if I recall the term properly); but the city of Veia seriously levels up the Republic.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Snapshot updates for the Senate Phase of Turn Four!

M. Furius Camillus is still at War, of course -- I just composited him into the mat photo for convenience. Being at War, he isn't eligible to be one of the new Consular Tribunes. (Neither is Fabius, due to being Pontifex Maximus.)

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

As a note to AzTank: while the discussion of how to deal with the Wars is important, don't forget that your first (and possibly last, for this turn) duty as Presiding Magistrate, is to Propose three other senators (in Rome and not Fabius the PontMax) as Consuls.

Once that's done, the PM post will probably shift to some other Player, and he'll take over leading the Senate for the rest of this Turn, including making Proposals about whether to raise more Legions, which War(s) to prosecute, and how.

Tripoli

Quote from: Erax on October 22, 2018, 04:55:56 PM
Our options are: throw everything at the Aequian War, throw everything at the Veientine War or try a balanced approach like last turn. Given that 1) we are facing what amounts to a random reinforcement for BOTH wars (should we try to fight both) and 2) the Republic's treasury is practically overflowing and 3) unrest is low; I suggest we raise 2 legions and try to knock out the Veientine War with everything we have. We can weather one unprosecuted war next turn for -10 cash and +1 unrest.

I recommend fighting only one war this turn.  Because of the importance of the  Veientine war, this is the war that should be emphasized
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

JasonPratt

If y'all decide to go after the Veientine War and leave Aequius (Aequia?) for next time, keep that plan in mind when AzTank proposes voting on senators, because whoever gets to be on the Tribunal Council this turn will not get to be one of the two regular Consuls (Roman or Field) on Turn Five. And Cincinnatus voids the Aequian D/S results.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Tripoli on October 22, 2018, 08:36:51 PM
Quote from: Erax on October 22, 2018, 04:55:56 PM
Our options are: throw everything at the Aequian War, throw everything at the Veientine War or try a balanced approach like last turn. Given that 1) we are facing what amounts to a random reinforcement for BOTH wars (should we try to fight both) and 2) the Republic's treasury is practically overflowing and 3) unrest is low; I suggest we raise 2 legions and try to knock out the Veientine War with everything we have. We can weather one unprosecuted war next turn for -10 cash and +1 unrest.

I recommend fighting only one war this turn.  Because of the importance of the  Veientine war, this is the war that should be emphasized

Concur on the Veientine war. Also, raising at least 2 legions.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 22, 2018, 09:00:35 PM
If y'all decide to go after the Veientine War and leave Aequius (Aequia?) for next time, keep that plan in mind when AzTank proposes voting on senators, because whoever gets to be on the Tribunal Council this turn will not get to be one of the two regular Consuls (Roman or Field) on Turn Five. And Cincinnatus voids the Aequian D/S results.

How about?

Papirus

Acilius

Valerius
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

JasonPratt

Just for discussion, or are you calling the vote?

For ease of reference, Pap is here:

Acilius is here:

Valerius is here:

Erax

I would like to see some people who aren't Aristocrats, Plutocrats or Conservatives in office for a change.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Erax on October 23, 2018, 09:36:58 AM
I would like to see some people who aren't Aristocrats, Plutocrats or Conservatives in office for a change.

Let's just say that all is not above the table, and quid pro quo is a real thing....:)
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

JasonPratt

As an outside observer, watching the political dynamics in this game continues to be fascinating.

Now, what are the newcomers and/or the Militarists going to do about it...

Some things to consider:

In the classic statement of economic scepticism, in the long run everyone's dead. ;) Various bouts of mortality will necessarily change the power dynamics. It doesn't happen fast, but it can happen quickly (so to speak)! In fact, mortality has hampered Erax's Progressives more than once already, but by the exact same token (or death bag) the Reaper can come for anyone.

The new two non-original Players come from a group (so does I.I., I think) from which they could recruit more Players for the remaining two slots. If the Progressives and the Neutralists formed a voting block, they could quickly become a terrifying minority power.

Starting next Turn, the Censor office will open up for elections (thanks to the 12 Tables). It's a post guaranteed to tempt players to go after their political enemies and generate more friction, to the destruction of the Republic.  >:D

Several people are holding Tribune cards -- this isn't much of a spoiler since the game setup includes several preliminary ones in the Latin Era. Their functionality hasn't yet unlocked, but when they do then Players will be able to make their own Proposals -- and veto the Proposals of other Players! This won't take away all power from the Presiding Magistrate, since the Tribune cards are one-time fire-and-discard usage, but it's going to change the political dynamics again in various ways.

After the Italian Era, the Provincial Eras start, where the Republic will need senators sent out of Rome to be Governors. While that's a good way to gain power, too, it means that, like senators at War, they aren't around in Rome to affect Senate voting. So the political dynamic is going to complexify and change once again. (This is when the main game starts, and you can provisionally expect the Tribune functionality to activate before then or during the Early Provincial.)

JasonPratt

Quote from: ArizonaTank on October 23, 2018, 09:47:14 AM

Let's just say that all is not above the table, and quid pro quo is a real thing....:)

Okay -- but were you actually calling for a vote? And if so, did you have a voting order?

IncompetentIdiot

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 23, 2018, 09:12:03 PM

Okay -- but were you actually calling for a vote? And if so, did you have a voting order?

I'd vote in favour.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 23, 2018, 09:12:03 PM

Yes, calling for a vote, Conservatives first, they vote "For".  Next Plutocrats, Conservatives, Populists, Militarists and Progressives.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"