This Land is My Land

Started by Atilla60, October 27, 2019, 05:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

On too much consideration, that's a really scary safe word...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Steam let me on, but doesn't indicate the Halloween sale is running...  ???

Can't get to my wishlist to verify whether tons of things are on sale.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Gusington

For me the sale began at 1pm EST.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Tempting...looks incredible.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

I'm definitely interested, but not enough to pay them $40 to be their beta tester -- not yet anyway.

Gusington

Agreed...39.99 though...😎

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MOS:96B2P

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 20, 2019, 09:49:58 AM
I'm definitely interested, but not enough to pay them $40 to be their beta tester -- not yet anyway.

Yep, this.  It made me kind of laugh when I read in the game description:   defining your narrative through the decisions you make.  Don't think I'll be paying $40 to define my narrative in a Beta version of the game.  But maybe down the road.  We'll have to see how this develops.  And I noticed they had some bigger area maps.  Do you move around those like Mount and Blade and then go back to a first person view when entering a town, farmstead, fort, etc.?  It does have some scenic screenshots and an interesting setting.

It also may be kind of tricky to make and keep it a fun game and not something else.  The description mentions revenge, vengeance, retaliation and describes poisoning groceries.  Then they show a screenshot of a wagon train, small town or farmstead.  The native Americans themselves are shown to have encampments (part of the scenic appeal).  So will the game just make all the characters military aged males and disregard the women, children, elderly people, non-combatants that would have also been in many of these locations?  Not sure how to pull that off. 

I know it probably sounds strange but I have no problem with my military aged character coming across another military aged character and shooting him in the face.   ;D   But if the other dude has his wife/kids cowering behind him inside the farm house or teepee then ......... it's no longer a game that helps you escape the realities of real life (IMO). 

Interested to see if they can make this a narrative worth defining.........       

Jarhead0331

I'm not interested in this at all. The title, the concept the setting...none if it appeals to me... :peace:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

But you still bought it, right?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Looks cool but being honest, the screenies just make me want to go load up RDR2.  :/

Also regarding the name -- it just keeps popping that quote from that old Jib Jab election video back into my head.  "This land was my land.... BUT NOW IT'S OUR LAND!"   :2funny:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Has anyone here played this one at all?  I'm absolutely in love with the Spaghetti Western setting and will gladly eat up any good offerings in a tangentially related setting.  Also, the idea of being a native warchief in the dying west is an untapped goldmine.  Without a sale it's a bit expensive for my EA tastes unless it's basically done and being QA'd.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao