John Tiller Software: Napoleonic Battles Recommendation?

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 13, 2020, 07:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Not sure why I do this to myself, but someone mentioned in the Tiller Software sale thread about the Napoleon Battles series games and peaked my interest.  I know nothing about those battles so thinking might be a nice education:)  With that said, looking for a recommendation of which to get with the following thoughts.

1)  Since I know very little about these battles, subject matter doesn't matter to me.  Sure I have heard of Waterloo and played various games based on it but doesn't mean I am an expert:)
2)  Is there any advantage over the newer releases?  And on that note, does anyone even know the release order of the games?  Not sure when each were released.  Maybe doesn't matter since it seems like they all received updates in 2020.
3)  I saw some of these have new 3D maps which I tagged below.  Maybe I should go with them?  Although I wasn't sure if any of the other recent releases already had the good 3D maps included and not listed as updates.  Not sure how to find that out.
4)  On the fence about scenarios...my first instinct is leaning towards more smaller but something about this period makes me think I should go for the bigger ones.....maybe the best is a nice mixture:)

Not 100% sure I will pull the trigger, but very tempting based on what I might hear.....

List of Available Games

Wellington's Peninsular Campaign
Campaign Eylau-Friedland
Republican Bayonets on the Rhine
Campaign Marengo
Bonaparte's Peninsular War
Campaign Bautzen
Campaign 1814
Campaign Leipzig (Updated 3D Maps)
Campaign Austerlitz
Campaign Jena-Auerstedt
Campaign Waterloo (Updated 3D Maps)
Campaign Wagram
Napoleon's Russian Campaign (Updated 3D Maps)
Campaign Eckmuhl (Updated 3D Maps)

devoncop

Hi GR

I have all of these except 1814 and the Peninsular titles.

Of those listed my favourites are Marengo which has a big variety of sizes scenarios and takes place in tricky terrain of hills,vineyards and rivers so visibility is often a big consideration,  Leipzig for the variety of armies and big sweeping open battlefields and Austerlitz because the sides are better matched than you may imagine.

I just bought Republican  Bayonets  on  the  Rhine  which is the latest Napoleonic title and it seems to have a very Marenngo like feel with some interesting minor state armies involved.

Whatever you do though, as soon as you can get into the MP scene via The Blitz wargame club or the Wargaming Society. The AI is not brilliant and all the folk I have played since jumping in this summer have been friendly and helpful.

Hope that helps a little.

Ian

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

nelmsm

My reply is the same every time I see this question; pick the one that interests you the most.  If you do that then you'll be more inclined to get into it.  Most have a selection of small to large scenarios.  I'll agree the AI is not great in these games though the designers have been trying to do a better job in the recent designs.  Use it to get familiar with the mechanics and then seek out a PBEM opponent.  For your first game post that you are looking for someone who will help you with tips and tricks and not just look to gut stomp you right off the bat.  I can help with that if you get to that point. Don't worry about time to do PBEM either.  If you are up front about how many turns you can do a week then you will find someone like minded and it goes pretty smoothly. My favorite would be the Leipzig game just because it has the biggest battle of all but they all have their charms.

Grim.Reaper

Thanks all...still pondering but appreciate the information to consider.

rwenstrup

I would recommend Campaign Waterloo ... there is a lot of history available about the battle ... and the game plays well.
I've got them all, and Waterloo is my favorite ...

Grim.Reaper

Think I have narrowed down to the following three choices, largely because they have the updated graphics and I don't necessarily care about which battle as I am not familiar with any so nice to learn.

Campaign Leipzig
Campaign Waterloo
Campaign Eckmuhl

Tried finding scenario information on the Tiller site, although one of them had a link, it appeared broken.  If anyone owns these three, can you tell me how many solo specific scenarios are included for each?  I know the AI is not great, but neither am I so that doesn't bother me.  I'll likely go with the one that gives me the most solo options.

Dammit Carl!

Still amazed at times that we have such a rich, deep well of games we can pick and choose from to digitally recreate numerous conflicts from recorded history.

-I'm still totes stupid on Napoleonic-era stuff.

devoncop

Grim Reaper

Leipzig has about 400 scenarios (though some are variants of the same battles and many are best suited for MP)and has the most single player scenarios of those you list.

You will have plenty of gaming to keep you busy even if you do only play SP.

Cheers

Ian

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: devoncop on December 21, 2020, 10:05:59 AM
Grim Reaper

Leipzig has about 400 scenarios (though some are variants of the same battles and many are best suited for MP)and has the most single player scenarios of those you list.

You will have plenty of gaming to keep you busy even if you do only play SP.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks, that is the one I was leaning towards based on what I was hearing....

rahamy

The order of release is on this page, with the newest titles on top... but as noted, all received an update in 2020, so the base engine is the same across the board.
Wargame Design Studio
Operations Manager
https://wargameds.com/

Grim.Reaper

I don't know why, but this mod might have pushed me over the edge to purchase one of the titles for sure.  Really like how it looks and represents the info better than I have seen before.  Guessing not everyone will like it, but clicks with me.

Rayfer

G.R  Thanks for posting the mod screen shot.  My first reaction was 'no way'...but the more I studied it the more I started to see how it may well be pretty darn good.  I'm tempted to try it out.  Where did you get it?  Thanks.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Rayfer on December 27, 2020, 10:31:05 AM
G.R  Thanks for posting the mod screen shot.  My first reaction was 'no way'...but the more I studied it the more I started to see how it may well be pretty darn good.  I'm tempted to try it out.  Where did you get it?  Thanks.

Yeah, I actually like it a lot...better than the default 2D, just seems easier to understand the formation of each and much easier to see the facing, at least in my opinion.  Plus I like how the skirmishers look.  I got it from the Blitz site:

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/showthread.php?tid=74017&pid=440839#pid440839

rahamy

It is interesting, and is a great example in how the games can be altered to meet individual taste.
Wargame Design Studio
Operations Manager
https://wargameds.com/

Rayfer

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 27, 2020, 10:42:00 AM
Quote from: Rayfer on December 27, 2020, 10:31:05 AM

Yeah, I actually like it a lot...better than the default 2D, just seems easier to understand the formation of each and much easier to see the facing, at least in my opinion.  Plus I like how the skirmishers look.  I got it from the Blitz site:

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/showthread.php?tid=74017&pid=440839#pid440839

Just curious...which title is the screen shot from?