Hearts of Iron IV- 'No Step Back' DLC

Started by Ian C, November 23, 2021, 06:34:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian C

al_infierno

I've ended up reinstalling this one to give it another chance since I'm in the mood for some casual grand strategying that isn't Crusader Kings.

Question for the groggies - do you guys make use of the Battle Plan system where you set up a front and allow the computer to control troop movement?  Or do you ignore this and micromanage troops?
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

fabius

Quote from: al_infierno on March 06, 2022, 01:26:58 AM
I've ended up reinstalling this one to give it another chance since I'm in the mood for some casual grand strategying that isn't Crusader Kings.

Question for the groggies - do you guys make use of the Battle Plan system where you set up a front and allow the computer to control troop movement?  Or do you ignore this and micromanage troops?

Been 6 or more months since I played. (main PC fried)
Always got frustrated with the AI shuffling troops up and down the line so only used battle plan to position then micr'd

That said I'd give the plans another chance as I see to be going through a phase of accepting losses to own side AI planning and execution. A sort of more commander approach seems to be giving more roleplay enjoyment at the mo' and give AI more chance.

I'd wager this though. Three essentials:
1. Mod
2. Use a mod
3. Use a mod like the expert AI or something that balances the game.

Pete Dero

bobarossa

Battle plans give you significant combat modifiers if you let the troops sit for a while.   Then I micro once battle begins.

Ian C

Quote from: bobarossa on March 06, 2022, 03:03:17 PM
Battle plans give you significant combat modifiers if you let the troops sit for a while.   Then I micro once battle begins.

Quote from: fabius on March 06, 2022, 07:47:33 AM
used battle plan to position then micr'd

Exactly this.

Ian C

New version of Millennium Dawn mod is out and it looks incredible. This is a modern-day mod starting in 2000 or 2017. All modern politics, economics and weaponry. It looks complex but I'm going to try it.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2777392649

Tutorials here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G6lYnP0knI&list=PL36TqZI0G592x3sYphwPHuMvobA6si543

glen55

I haven't played in a while, but I used to do something very similar to what this guy posting on the Paradox forum does. There's still a fair bit of micro-management necessary to get it right but your guys can do maybe half the job on their own.

Quote- I assign a portion of the frontline to each infantry army (24 divs) and give each their own battle plan target. That's usually the whole frontline divided into 4 non-overlapping sections. The northern army attacks Leningrad, the two central ones the wider Moscow area and the southern one Stalingrad. Another mountaineer corps attacks the Crimea. All straight forward.

- Then I assign sections to my panzer armies which don't overlap each other, but are overlapping the infantry sections obviously. The panzer armies are for pincer movements and are stationed on the northern and southern flank. The northern army attacks Stalingrad and the southern one Leningrad (both first rush straight ahead, then swing around to create pockets).

This works quite well if you are willing to interfere manually as needed. I usually observe the a.i. carrying out the plan and pause once I see an opportunity for a manual encirclement. Then I grab a handful of adjacent troops and manually direct them for encirclements.

Also you can use it to move a group a long way. Set up a battle plan line and your guys will deploy in line when they get there. Then you can either set a new battle plan or micro away per your choice.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

W8taminute

Downloaded the Millennium Dawn mod last night and spent a few minutes with it.  Looks very cool.  Definitely will spend some more time with it. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Ian C

It's recommended to click the ? on each panel for info on how to do things. They've done an amazing job in converting HOI 4 into modern warfare strategy game.

W8taminute

Quote from: Ian C on March 16, 2022, 06:31:12 AM
It's recommended to click the ? on each panel for info on how to do things. They've done an amazing job in converting HOI 4 into modern warfare strategy game.

Yes thanks for the tip.  I've been doing that intuitivly and am really impressed with the work that went into this mod.  Millenium Dawn is satisfying an itch I've been having for months now.   :)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Lowenstaat

Quote from: Ian C on March 14, 2022, 06:04:29 AM
New version of Millennium Dawn mod is out and it looks incredible. This is a modern-day mod starting in 2000 or 2017. All modern politics, economics and weaponry. It looks complex but I'm going to try it.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2777392649

Tutorials here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G6lYnP0knI&list=PL36TqZI0G592x3sYphwPHuMvobA6si543

Thanks for posting about this update. I played the old Millennium Dawn a bit. I'll be sure to check this one out, too.
"Initiative compensates for a lack of skill."

Ian C

ArizonaTank

Paradox released a dev diary today with the notice that they were working on for HOI4

We take great pride in our attention to gameplay telemetry that we receive from keen HOI4 players from across the globe, and our data wizards regularly furnish us with relevant information with which to steer development of features. After NSB, we were informed of a clear and scientific trend in the data:

That's right folks, it turns out that 99.5%* of you exclusively play monarchies. It was quite clear to us that we had a mandate to finally concede to public demand, and add the long-awaited Habsburg branch to the Generic focus tree!

*These results were verified by independent election officials.

Now, regardless of which nation you hold dear, you too can find and install a local member of the Habsburg dynasty, taking part in the restoration of everyone's favourite neighbourhood hegemony.

After discovering a stray member of the Habsburg dynasty, steer your nation to glory by choosing an appropriate spouse or accidentally inheriting some countries you weren't aware existed.

No Habsburg tree would be complete without an edifying array of royal marriage candidates, so we've included plenty of historically accurate examples:

Once you have secured the bloodline, you can, naturally, expand your sights to join your relatives in other countries in vying for the ultimate prize:

Ultimately we feel that this adds a great deal to the generic focus tree experience, importantly providing a thoughtful, plausible and historically inspired approach that you can enjoy with nations as far afield as you like.

After reading this a few times and wondering what the heck this was all about, I remembered it is April fools day....

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Ian C

In case anyone is interested, the latest Beta Update is out and while playing as Germany, the Soviet AI kicked my ass. The game has never done that before.