Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Quote from: mikeck on March 29, 2020, 05:05:00 PM
REALLY wish they would have gone the other way: tornado, F-4, F-111, su-24, etc

Hell to the yes squared!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Skoop

The F-14 is a great module, well done.  My only complaint is that jester isn't fast enough in maintaining multiple target locks to put phoenixs down range.  When I flew it in SP, I found that I was far more efficient at getting target locks than the AI RIO. I mainly fly PVE MP and you can't seat swap in flight or have the AI fly with human RIO in MP, so I really don't fly the cat enough. 

I'm in the process of revisiting it though, inspired by a recent reread of Red Storm Rising.  Some great tomcat sequences described in the book.  RSR makes me want to play CMANO, Steel Beasts, Dangerous Waters, and DCS all at once.

Dammit Carl!

How deep does the Combined Arms module go to scratching that sort of itch?

Yskonyn

Not deep at all. The units are dumb (but have improved somewhat). Control is very basic.
I have read that some form of work is planned for CA, but as it stands right now I would advise buying the module if you're hoping it might give a SteelBeasts like experience in DCS.
It most definitely does not.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Dammit Carl!

Destraex

I just watched the video. Saw a lot of modules that are not in game yet, giving people the impression they can play them now? Also did not see the tomcat, I am getting the impression ED hate this module. It barely gets a look in on the supercarrier videos either.
Very generous of them to give us a distraction while we wait for the now delayed supercarrier module. I am very pleased with them for doing this.

A month is a good chunk of time to concentrate on learning an aircraft you might like. The usual free weekends would not be enough for that. Additionally and perhaps more importantly, it gives people a chance to try maps they don't own and get those out of their system.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Toonces

Oh bloody hell.

I managed to stave off my cravings for the DCS sale, only to be confronted with this madness.

Fine, DCS, you win.  I shall download F-14, F/A-18, Persian Gulf, and Nevada and see what all the fuss is about.

This could get expensive.  So much for "austerity measures."   ::)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

mikeck

Quote from: Destraex on April 17, 2020, 08:04:21 PM
I just watched the video. Saw a lot of modules that are not in game yet, giving people the impression they can play them now? Also did not see the tomcat, I am getting the impression ED hate this module. It barely gets a look in on the supercarrier videos either.
Very generous of them to give us a distraction while we wait for the now delayed supercarrier module. I am very pleased with them for doing this.

A month is a good chunk of time to concentrate on learning an aircraft you might like. The usual free weekends would not be enough for that. Additionally and perhaps more importantly, it gives people a chance to try maps they don't own and get those out of their system.

I haven't paid attention to it but now that you mention it, the trailers for the Super Carrier dont really have many F-14s. Maybe it's because ED made the F-18 module and it was associated with the SC In pre-release sales. I think they are hoping to get people to buy one so they can use the other; maybe they get more from their internally developed module?

Don't know, but I've been playing the hell out of the F-14. I love it but have one complaint that keeps me from using it exclusively....I Just don't feel the immersion using either the Jester or hopping in the back and doing it myself. I like to flip all the switches and work all the gear myself but switching seats isn't the same.

I love it but as the F-18 gets more filled out, I Think that will be my go to. Just something really immersive sitting in the cockpit alone on a Carrier deck at night with rain and fog; then popping up above the clouds with the moon. I love it. Jester ruins it a little
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Super Carrier press is most likely not including the Tomcat because the early access release of the super carrier module was not expected to have full tomcat compatibility. However, the delay in releasing super carrier may provide an opportunity for that to change. I noticed some super carrier specific additions to the tomcat module in this week's open beta patch change log.

It's not some conspiracy. It would be wrong for them to advertise something that will not be fully supported at release.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Destraex

From what my mates were saying they just don't think the lso will support it early on.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on April 18, 2020, 07:53:44 AM
From what my mates were saying they just don't think the lso will support it early on.

Correct. I said the early access release.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Toonces

There is also a disclaimer at the end of the video...you know, for the Destraex types.   ::)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Yskonyn

Anyone else finds that Nick's way of talking in the video is like its played at 0.8 speed or so? The tone is cool, but it suffers a little too much from high pressure drag perhaps? 😜

Anyway I thought the music worked best with the Warbird shots. I couldn't help getting a Saving Private Ryan / BoB vibe there. For the modern birds it was more of a miss, for me at least.
Still, awesome digital air combat pr0n no less!  :smitten:
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 18, 2020, 08:02:01 AM
Quote from: Destraex on April 18, 2020, 07:53:44 AM

Correct. I said the early access release.

I was hoping you would confirm here you also had heard that it was just the LSO that would not be ready on the Tomcat side of things for the early access supercarrier. This way I could still recommend the supercarrier to my Tomcat only friends.

Toonces, I don't think what you said was very fair at all. "I" am not the litigating type and I can see what's going on and am not upset by it. I am just worried for Eagle Dynamics and all the whinging they will get from new players trying to find the aircraft in the video when they load it. Incidentally the disclaimer does not seem cover the Mosquito and many others shown in the video, only the P47 and a couple of others. Not only that but it is intended not to indicate that those things mentioned in the disclaimer are not in the game but simply that they are work in progress and may not represent the final product, rather than saying that not all items in the video are present in game for play currently.

P.S. My disclaimer here is that I am still madly tabbing in and out of stellaris at 1am...

Toonces

^ Fair enough.  Sorry about the tone of that post, brother.   :hug: