Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trek

The video brought tears to my eyes as I had forgotten about William Henley's poem after all these years. I read "Invictus" at my best friend David's funeral in 1968. He and I were both 19 years old. He was a Medical Corpsman who was killed in Vietnam. Invictus is Latin for unconquered and Dave had that spirit all through his young life of fighting the odds and never giving up. How timely it is for now and a good message for us in these trying times. All of you stay safe and keep imparting your knowledge of this hobby we all love. Your posts here make this "old man" able to enjoy my gaming even more. Thank you all.

Destraex

Quote from: Toonces on April 18, 2020, 04:50:07 PM
^ Fair enough.  Sorry about the tone of that post, brother.   :hug:

No worries of course. I guess my orginal post about the DCS video may have come across with accusatory tone against ED. But it all depends how you read it and how you imagine I would present it. After all these years on the forums here I would have thought people would understand that when I talk like I am whinging about things I am generally just being groggy (grumbling) with the intention of finding better wargames or suggesting, improving and building upon the ones we have. Rather than trying to tear a developers noble efforts apart. Alternatively I lead the witness, so to speak, like I was trying to do with Jarhead, to tap into his knowledge about the Supercarriers launch and dive a bit deeper into whether tomcats can launch in any state at all out of the early box. I am very impressed Toonces that you are clearly of good character and willing to apologise online like this. You have my respect for what that's worth for that Brother.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on April 18, 2020, 07:54:43 PM
Quote from: Toonces on April 18, 2020, 04:50:07 PM
^ Fair enough.  Sorry about the tone of that post, brother.   :hug:

Alternatively I lead the witness, so to speak, like I was trying to do with Jarhead, to tap into his knowledge about the Supercarriers launch and dive a bit deeper into whether tomcats can launch in any state at all out of the early box.

That's all good, but if you have a question, why not just be direct and ask away...no need to "lead the witness." Besides, that's my job!  :bd:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Destraex

You are probably right there Jarhead. My statement just needed a question mark at the end of the sentence.  :-[
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Skoop

Quote from: mikeck on April 17, 2020, 11:29:12 PM
Quote from: Destraex on April 17, 2020, 08:04:21 PM
I just watched the video. Saw a lot of modules that are not in game yet, giving people the impression they can play them now? Also did not see the tomcat, I am getting the impression ED hate this module. It barely gets a look in on the supercarrier videos either.
Very generous of them to give us a distraction while we wait for the now delayed supercarrier module. I am very pleased with them for doing this.

A month is a good chunk of time to concentrate on learning an aircraft you might like. The usual free weekends would not be enough for that. Additionally and perhaps more importantly, it gives people a chance to try maps they don't own and get those out of their system.

I haven't paid attention to it but now that you mention it, the trailers for the Super Carrier dont really have many F-14s. Maybe it's because ED made the F-18 module and it was associated with the SC In pre-release sales. I think they are hoping to get people to buy one so they can use the other; maybe they get more from their internally developed module?

Don't know, but I've been playing the hell out of the F-14. I love it but have one complaint that keeps me from using it exclusively....I Just don't feel the immersion using either the Jester or hopping in the back and doing it myself. I like to flip all the switches and work all the gear myself but switching seats isn't the same.

I love it but as the F-18 gets more filled out, I Think that will be my go to. Just something really immersive sitting in the cockpit alone on a Carrier deck at night with rain and fog; then popping up above the clouds with the moon. I love it. Jester ruins it a little

Had a blast with the tomcat this week.  It was refreshing jumping into it again, definitely a pilots aircraft.  It's amazing the different flight profiles you can achieve with the swept wings and dynamic flap system.

Bardolph

Steam changed the deal, only a handful of planes and 1 map to try, only for 2 weeks instead of a month, and no sale till the end of their "deal".
Guess I'll go download it again from the ED site.

I don't blame ED, but I let Steam know how I felt.

Bardolph

Found this little tip just now:

QuoteNeat thing I found out yesterday, was that if you've got the Steam copy already, and download the stand-alone, the later will find your already existing files and just copy them over, rather than re-downloading dozens of gigs. On someone with a terrible internet connection, that was greatly appreciated.

Right after I had deleted my Steam install of course lol.

Toonces

Looks like a bunch of Supercarrier videos are popping on YouTube...
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Toonces on May 14, 2020, 08:36:16 PM
Looks like a bunch of Supercarrier videos are popping on YouTube...

New release date is May 20. It better happen.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

MengJiao

Quote from: Bardolph on April 19, 2020, 08:06:01 AM
Steam changed the deal, only a handful of planes and 1 map to try, only for 2 weeks instead of a month, and no sale till the end of their "deal".
Guess I'll go download it again from the ED site.

I don't blame ED, but I let Steam know how I felt.

I got an F-16m in the sale:

mikeck

After I spent some time with the F-14, I Picked up the Mig 21. I really dig the analogue clicky switchy thing with the F-14 BUT...there's a lot I can't do unless I hop in the back and that is immersion-breaking. So, until someone does F-4, figured I'd try the Mig. But damn, that super carrier looks amazing. Looks alive. So, with its ground radar on the way, I hopped back in the F-18.

This really was a great idea for a module. Carrier ops are kinda lame when you can't take a wingman because he spawns on the deck with his wings open and no one can move. Not to mention the whole "lost ghost ship" feel of an empty carrier
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

JasonPratt

I think I've asked this before, but I've forgotten the answer: will there be any point to owning this module if you don't own craft to fly from it?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 16, 2020, 02:10:33 PM
I think I've asked this before, but I've forgotten the answer: will there be any point to owning this module if you don't own craft to fly from it?

In addition to the upgrades and enhanced options for the US carriers, it has an updated model and functionality for the Kuznetsov-class aircraft carrier and Arleigh-Burke Destroyers...but really, if you're not flying the Hornet or the Tomcat, or don't plan on running missions with carrier ops, what is the point really?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mikeck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 16, 2020, 02:59:03 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on May 16, 2020, 02:10:33 PM

In addition to the upgrades and enhanced options for the US carriers, it has an updated model and functionality for the Kuznetsov-class aircraft carrier and Arleigh-Burke Destroyers...but really, if you're not flying the Hornet or the Tomcat, or don't plan on running missions with carrier ops, what is the point really?

There isn't. But I've found that if I have to land on a carrier after I blow crap up, I tend to keep playing until I'm aboard. If I'm headed to a runway, I exit out since the challenges of the mission are done

The models look unbelievable on the carrier (don't know about the Russian "carrier" (*snicker*)". If you play DCS and DONT have an F-14 or F-18....buy one? I mean seriously...don't you want to fly an F-14 off of a carrier and intercept waves of Soviet bombers?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

JasonPratt

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 16, 2020, 02:59:03 PM
but really, if you're not flying the Hornet or the Tomcat, or don't plan on running missions with carrier ops, what is the point really?

Well, that's what I was asking.  O:-) Is there airboss functionality or mission planning or whatever? -- apparently not, just a really nice base to operate from for immersion.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!