Burden of Command Announced

Started by Mad Russian, June 30, 2017, 09:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Between this and Close Combat's relaunch, and Panzer Strategy (quite a different type of game of course) coming out of EA Sept 1...  :smitten: :D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Steelgrave

It's a good time to be a gamer  <:-)

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Tripoli

Quote from: Zonso on August 14, 2018, 12:21:58 PM
Ugh, did I just see a Squad bum rushing a MG Team?!?  :o

Rock, Paper, Shotgun just published an article on Burden of Command featuring lead developer Luke Hughes.  It is located here:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/08/24/the-flare-path-no-place-for-cowards/

In the article, Luke describes some of the psychological and tactical mechanics of the game that are illustrated by in the video, including the "bum rush" of the MG team and why that didn't work out so well.   
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Mad Russian

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on August 14, 2018, 12:55:53 PM
Quote from: Zonso on August 14, 2018, 12:21:58 PM
Ugh, did I just see a Squad bum rushing a MG Team?!?  :o

I think the idea is that they jazz up the gameplay with dramatic music and wartime film footage and you're not supposed to notice?

I think the idea is that there are times when you have to make a hard decision as the leader. Do you take that MG out even though it will cause you casualties or not?

You don't know what the full context of the situation is at all times. In wargames we are used to being in 'God Mode' we are used to knowing the entire situation, the enemy forces, our forces, etc....

In real situations much of this is not known.

So, do you take that MG out as you  have been ordered and lose some men? Do you refuse to attack it frontally only to find out it flanks the platoon on the other side and kills 12 of them and wounds another 23.  How do you feel about your choices? Not good....

The Burden of Command is never light.

Make your choices wisely. The war is far from over.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Steelgrave

Great response, MR, and makes me want to buy the game even more  O0

Michael Dorosh

Necroposting to see if there is any news. Steam page still has TBA and the game website has nothing in the press section.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on April 04, 2019, 12:36:17 PM
Necroposting to see if there is any news. Steam page still has TBA and the game website has nothing in the press section.

I am interested in this one as well.  I believe there are some fairly recent dev notes on the Steam community site. Project does appear to be moving.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

lhughes42

Hey Luke here, project lead. We are alive and kicking ;) We post pretty regularly on our Twitter, FB, and Steam accounts. Or if you just want the occasional update (every few months) subscribe to our newsletter.
  Thanks for your interest!

http://bit.ly/BoC_newsletter_signup
Burden of Command lead
Steam: http://bit.ly/BoCSteam

Steelgrave

I subscribed to the newsletter but stalled when the "I am not a robot" captcha came up, because honestly....if I were a robot, would I know?   8)   

Sir Slash

Probably there to confuse Cylons.  ;D
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

al_infierno

New video related to this game -- a 20 second demo of a random event so I don't think it really warrants its own thread...

To copy my YT comment:  I'm a bit confused by this demonstration. Is this just a random event that can happen to any unit at any time? Is this specific to the scenario? Not sure that "units randomly running out of AP because they got overheated" is my idea of enjoyable tactical chaos.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

^especially for units that appear to have just hit the beach.  There is a fine line between modeling the burden of command and just being burdensome to the player. Removing all APs for the unit doesn't present the player commander with a challenging decision to make...it removes all decision making from the equation.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Sir Slash

The Burden of Dehydration.  :hide: