Conquest of Elysium 3

Started by son_of_montfort, January 29, 2012, 11:21:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfe1759

Quote from: Rayfer on February 14, 2013, 04:17:22 PM
Just got it on Steam for $2.49.  Haven't played yet.....quick question, is their a tutorial or not?

My advice (as posted previously on Steam) :

My best advice would be - read the manual.

However you don't have to read it all.

To get you started I would recommend reading Section 3 (The Interface) and the single page of Section 9 (Classes) that relates to the class you have chosen to play. In total that will be no more than a dozen pages to read.

Then read the rest at your leisure to get a bit more of an understanding of the details of the game and what is going on "under the hood".
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

PanzersEast

picked it up.....  ::)  Too cheap and looks too good...

PE

Rayfer

Having fun with this and, as I was warned, I am dying often.  Right now my biggest hurdle is learning the pacing of the game. Amassing gold is tough and takes a long time (playing as the Troll King) to do.

Huw the Poo

Yeah, one of my early games was as a barbarian and I found it really hard to acquire gold because you're having to constantly spend it on units.  Plus those wandering beasties just keep taking your villages!

When you get the hang of it you'll find the troll king one of the easier classes to play.  I've seen it recommended as a newbie class several times.  Your hero unit (and something which comes later - around 1.5 years into the game I think) can stomp all over small armies by himself.  Just wander around, taking villages and mines and re-taking them as necessary, while your gold builds up.  Then you can grab a new hero unit and give him lots of soldiers.

If you need any more detailed advice let me know.  I'm really glad you're having fun with it!

Rayfer

Quote from: Huw the Poo on February 15, 2013, 02:07:17 PM
Yeah, one of my early games was as a barbarian and I found it really hard to acquire gold because you're having to constantly spend it on units.  Plus those wandering beasties just keep taking your villages!

When you get the hang of it you'll find the troll king one of the easier classes to play.  I've seen it recommended as a newbie class several times.  Your hero unit (and something which comes later - around 1.5 years into the game I think) can stomp all over small armies by himself.  Just wander around, taking villages and mines and re-taking them as necessary, while your gold builds up.  Then you can grab a new hero unit and give him lots of soldiers.

If you need any more detailed advice let me know.  I'm really glad you're having fun with it!

I'm actually surviving now as the Troll King....got some gold, got some units, expanding, exploring...best $2.49 I ever spent.  How different do the other ages play?  I've only yet played the dark age....at least, I think that's what it's called.

Huw the Poo

The different ages affect how developed the world is, so the later ages are more likely to have well-defended cities filled with armoured units for example.

I'm really pleased you're enjoying it!  I've been playing as the enchanter at Sparhawk's suggestion and getting my arse kicked.  I'm finding it the toughest class yet in the early game.  However being able to place guardians on resources is very useful.

If not for the "insanity" mechanic I think the necromancer would be my favourite class.  Raising massive armies of undead is just too much fun.  After that I think I'd say troll king, for the sheer joy of stomping all over towns with the hulking brute.  I'm going to try enchanter for a few more games then move on...possibly the witch next.

Nefaro

I played one or two of the other "summoner" style classes, and those are a blast, too.  It can take awhile to bring out the big boys, but dayum can some of them melt face if you get a good summon roll. 

Perhaps we should get a multiplayer game of COE3 going sometime?  I'm not sure if it's only PBEM or if it has TCP/IP play, but MP sounds like it's pretty popular with those who play it.

Cougar_DK

Its only tcpip, since the turns are so short  :)
-Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Nefaro

Quote from: Cougar_DK on February 16, 2013, 05:26:24 PM
Its only tcpip, since the turns are so short  :)

I prefer that anyway.

Huw the Poo

Hmmm.  I prefer PBEM.  :-\

I'm not totally opposed to the idea of network play but I'm very unreliable unfortunately.

Arctic Blast

Well, at $2.49 I took the plunge. Perhaps this weekend I'll get a chance to try it out.