Radio General out now!

Started by Foolish Mortals, March 24, 2020, 12:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foolish Mortals

Howdy folks. My name's Michael, and my game Radio General is being released on Steam April 9. I was directed here and told you folks might appreciate the game.

Brief description:
It's WWII. You're a general sitting in a tent. All you have is a map, and a radio. Can you win the battle? Radio General is a unique strategy game where you interact with your units over the radio using speech recognition. Test your mettle and relive famous battles as a WWII general.

There's a lot more to it than that, but here are a few bullet-points on what makes this game unique:

• We focus on the often-overlooked Canadian contributions of the war
  • We include hundreds of historical photos, video and other documents
  • Although it can be easy to forget when playing videogames, we try to show the very real human cost of war
  • You can shout orders out loud using speech recognition, like Tom Clancy's Endwar
  • Information management is a key part of the game - you can't see where your units are!
  • Units aren't always reliable - they can get lost, or sometimes don't respond at all (did their radio break? Are they dead? Better send someone to find out
  • The entire game can be played in online co-op (not so unique, but I find co-op games to be somewhat rare)

You can read more on the steam page.

I'd be happy to answer any and all questions you have.

-budd-

What time frame, operations/missions will the game cover?
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Foolish Mortals

Hello everyone!

Quote from: -budd- on March 24, 2020, 01:47:33 PM
What time frame, operations/missions will the game cover?

We cover most major Canadian operations from the Dieppe Raid (August 1942), and go till the Falaise Gap (August 1944). Notable operations include Sicily, Gustav and Hitler lines (Italy), Juno Beach and the Falaise Gap. There are 14 missions in total.

MengJiao

al_infierno

BTW, on Reddit I asked about how narrative-driven this game will be compared to Radio Commander, and the dev replied with:

Radio General focuses more on the tactical and gameplay aspect. Your soldiers won't have long and (somewhat inappropriate) exchanges with you over the radio - you both have a job to: win. The gameplay is more in-depth, you have more troops to lead (300-2000 per mission), and you always have multiple objectives that you can prioritize (or ignore if you don't think they're feasible). We also focus much more heavily on history - each mission is extensively rearched, and we present relevant historical documents before and after each mission.

Music to my ears!   :smitten:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Really stupid question, I'm almost embarrassed to ask so please, all, forgive me.

Exactly how prominent of a role did radio communications play at the tactical level (platoon-company-battalion) in WWII? I know the technology improved drastically from decades prior and there were handheld, portable radios, as well as radios in tanks, aircraft, naval vessels, etc...but just how common were they in use and practice? I imagine there was also great variations among the belligerents and their various OOBs. I just don't recall seeing a lot of photos or reading a lot of literature about the topic. In Vietnam, for instance, the radio operator was much more ubiquitous.

Thanks. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

SirAndrewD

Canadians!  What are they going to do, politely ask the Germans to leave or else they'll throw snowballs at them?

I kid, I kid.  This looks and sounds great.  Solid topic and I like what I'm seeing with this vs. Radio Commander.   

Probably a day one-er for me.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

al_infierno

I did a quick Google search and found a Wikipedia article with a large reference of different radio types used by the Wehrmacht.  It doesn't answer your question by any means, but it seems to indicate that radios were fairly ubiquitous in the Heer down to the battalion or company level, at the very least.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Communications_of_the_German_Army_in_World_War_II

I've actually wondered myself how common radio kits were at the sub-company level in WW2.  I'm not sure I've ever seen any specific literature or videos about radios at the tactical level, so it's actually a pretty good question.

- MengJiao

MengJiao

Quote from: al_infierno on March 24, 2020, 04:27:41 PM
I did a quick Google search and found a Wikipedia article with a large reference of different radio types used by the Wehrmacht.  It doesn't answer your question by any means, but it seems to indicate that radios were fairly ubiquitous in the Heer down to the battalion or company level, at the very least.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Communications_of_the_German_Army_in_World_War_II

I've actually wondered myself how common radio kits were at the sub-company level in WW2.  I'm not sure I've ever seen any specific literature or videos about radios at the tactical level, so it's actually a pretty good question.

There were a lot of radios, but also a lot of phone lines and of course (to repeat something I've noted excessively) by 1944 if not earlier, the Germans were using their radios so much that US signals intelligence often thought they were looking at deceptive/fake radio traffic because German radio use bordered on the absurd even for routine movements.  There was just too much German radio traffic to take seriously, I guess.  In Normandy Panzer group west HQ was pinpointed and wiped out due to signals intercepts (for example).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_raid_on_La_Caine_(1944)

CJReich46

Fascinating concept. :) will be watching with interest.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Foolish Mortals

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 24, 2020, 04:05:07 PM
Really stupid question, I'm almost embarrassed to ask so please, all, forgive me.

Exactly how prominent of a role did radio communications play at the tactical level (platoon-company-battalion) in WWII? I know the technology improved drastically from decades prior and there were handheld, portable radios, as well as radios in tanks, aircraft, naval vessels, etc...but just how common were they in use and practice? I imagine there was also great variations among the belligerents and their various OOBs. I just don't recall seeing a lot of photos or reading a lot of literature about the topic. In Vietnam, for instance, the radio operator was much more ubiquitous.

Thanks.
Trying to learn is never stupid!

As for radios, each brigade (three battalions) had its own signals group. Of course these could be moved and detached as needed, as companies from the brigade would be rotated in/out of the front line. Most tanks would also mount their own radio (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Set_No._19 , also seen in our live-action trailer. These are 90lbs. Heavy bastards.) to communicate with each other. Radios unfortunately easily broke down or had limited reception due to terrain, often requiring orders to be delivered in-person.

You see radios a lot more in Vietnam as most platoons would have their own radio due to the remoteness of patrols, and the lack of a front-line - it was very confusing, and there often wasn't any nearby help.

Foolish Mortals

Quote from: MengJiao on March 24, 2020, 05:10:09 PM
Quote from: al_infierno on March 24, 2020, 04:27:41 PM

There were a lot of radios, but also a lot of phone lines and of course (to repeat something I've noted excessively) by 1944 if not earlier, the Germans were using their radios so much that US signals intelligence often thought they were looking at deceptive/fake radio traffic because German radio use bordered on the absurd even for routine movements.  There was just too much German radio traffic to take seriously, I guess.  In Normandy Panzer group west HQ was pinpointed and wiped out due to signals intercepts (for example).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_raid_on_La_Caine_(1944)

Yes! Putting all those messages up in the air is a dangerous proposition, especially since the Allies had overwhelming air superiority at that point. Information warfare is super cool, and I wish we implemented in Radio General, but sadly we didn't have the time to add it in.

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: al_infierno on March 24, 2020, 03:28:19 PM
BTW, on Reddit I asked about how narrative-driven this game will be compared to Radio Commander, and the dev replied with:

Radio General focuses more on the tactical and gameplay aspect. Your soldiers won't have long and (somewhat inappropriate) exchanges with you over the radio - you both have a job to: win. The gameplay is more in-depth, you have more troops to lead (300-2000 per mission), and you always have multiple objectives that you can prioritize (or ignore if you don't think they're feasible). We also focus much more heavily on history - each mission is extensively rearched, and we present relevant historical documents before and after each mission.

Music to my ears!   :smitten:

Thats awesome. This is exactly why I didn't buy Radio Commander - the dialogue was totally unnecessary and inappropriate.