Wings Over the Reich released

Started by WallysWorld, September 05, 2018, 04:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

It still desperately needs more aircraft to fly and I'm mystified why a game titled "Wings Over the Reich" starts with the Battle of Britain.

I'm annoyed that they are still putting so much effort into WOFF when WOTR has so far yet to go.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

Do you feel WoFF is the game to go for over WotR at the moment?

I prefer WW2 aircraft, but really am just curious to experience for myself what all the praise is about for their singleplayer dynamic campaign system that's supposedly so immersive.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 28, 2019, 10:09:12 AM
Do you feel WoFF is the game to go for over WotR at the moment?

I prefer WW2 aircraft, but really am just curious to experience for myself what all the praise is about for their singleplayer dynamic campaign system that's supposedly so immersive.

WOFF has been in development for years and the most current version of it will give you absolutely tons of content. I have it, but never fly it as I really only have a passing interest in the era. I think if you prefer WWII aircraft, and do not mind being limited to only the Hurricane, Spitfire and BF-109 during the Battle of Britain, then WOTR is the way to go. It will still provide the realism and nuance of the single player campaign, which is really the big draw to the series.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Thanks.
Unfortunately already running into issues. Bitdefender insists that the program is unsafe. Even if I recover and add the directory to the whitelist parts are being intercepted by it. Sigh.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

republic

I'm glad to see this in development.  After Thirdwire gave up on the PC I've been worried that the "regular Joe" combat flight sim had disappeared.  Maybe in a few years they'll take on the Korean war.  I've wanted a Korean war flight sim since watching The Bridges of Toko Ri.

Gusington

It's been 30+ years so my memory is a little fuzzy - Microprose' Mig Alley was set in the Korean War, wasn't it?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on November 22, 2019, 07:34:53 AM
It's been 30+ years so my memory is a little fuzzy - Microprose' Mig Alley was set in the Korean War, wasn't it?

Yes. Fantastic sim. One of the greatest. Really wish for a remake. It wasn't microprose though. Rowan Soft.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Tripoli

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 22, 2019, 10:04:03 AM
Quote from: Gusington on November 22, 2019, 07:34:53 AM

Yes. Fantastic sim. One of the greatest. Really wish for a remake. It wasn't microprose though. Rowan Soft.

Yes, MiG Alley was terriffic.  I don't think anything has taken it's place as the "go to" Korean war air game.  Its too bad, as it is such a unique period in aviation history, with piston fighters and bombers sharing the same airspace with 1st and 2nd generation jet fighters.

Yskonyn: Regarding WOFF being unsafe.  I'm not sure why you get that from bitdefender.  I use Norton's and have no problem with WOFF.  It is an excellent game, and well worth your time if you have an interest in the period.  Take a look at some of the AARs from WOFF here: https://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4095795/36/reports-from-the-front
and here:
https://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4449449/113/deep-immersion-did-campaign-player-instructions-updated-28-nov-2018
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Yskonyn

Thanks Tripoli, in the end I got it sorted by shuffling around folders. It's working now.
First impression is that the stock control settings don't work well with my joystick; the Hurricane feels like its flying through mud. Roll rates are way too low and no matter what I try I can't keep up with my AI controlled friendly formation of other aircraft, so there is definately something wrong with the way I've setup my peripherals.
Haven't had time to look into it further yet.

Skoop

The control setup for WOFF / WOTR is very lack luster and much to be desired.  I got it working but it was a chore.  You might be better served using target or virpil to do the mapping of your hotas.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Toonces

WoFF is the call.  The graphics are a bit old skool.  But the gameplay is amazing, and frankly, will occupy a lifetime.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Tripoli

Quote from: Toonces on September 09, 2022, 07:03:14 AM
WoFF is the call.  The graphics are a bit old skool.  But the gameplay is amazing, and frankly, will occupy a lifetime.
I second that.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln