Full Metal Sergeant - the drill instructor simulator

Started by CarloC, September 06, 2021, 03:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarloC

Hi everybody!

I'm Carlo and probably some of you remember me (hope in a positive way ;)) for Until the Last Plane. i'm back to you now with my next game: Full Metal Sergeant in which you play the role of a drill instructor. The main goal is to get lazy and useless recruits and transform them into perfect war machines within 12 (virtually) weeks. You have to manage the bootcamp, arrange the zones with equipments, planning the right trainings. Watch out for the recruits stress level, each of them has a different trait and could go crazy under pressure. Lastly there will be competitions against other military camps, for example you'll have to challenge the Coast Guard in a swimming competition.

Hope you guys will find the concept interesting. Stay safe and well!

Steam page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1698350/Full_Metal_Sergeant/

al_infierno

Fun concept!  Looking forward to seeing more.  :bd:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

It seems so obvious. Why the hell didn't I think of this?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bobarossa

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on September 07, 2021, 08:10:38 AM
Why didn't JH think of this? I have no answer.

I'm happy to serve as a technical advisor. Nailing the knife hand will be critical.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

R. Lee Ermey was also a technical advisor! Well done.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

CarloC

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 07, 2021, 09:18:36 AM
I'm happy to serve as a technical advisor. Nailing the knife hand will be critical.

Thank you! Every help is appreciate! You're in  ;)

steve58

How, um, "articulate" will the DIs be?   :-"
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Phantom

Out of curiosity - do you guys in the States have any equivalent to this show..?
https://www.channel4.com/programmes/sas-who-dares-wins
Its very entertaining - my favourite line from the "instructors" so far, shouted as someone was struggling to keep afloat in a cold Scottish sea at the foot of a 100ft cliff.. - "what are you doing - don't you dare f***ing drown!"

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

CarloC

I'm back! I released a devBlog in which I talk about competitions against other camps. There will not only be training and fighting in Full Metal Sergeant, but also running races or challenges at the shooting range. What you'll see in the devBlog is just the race, but the Sniper Cup and Swimming Challenge are also planned.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1698350/view/3126056548267177474

Destraex

Will this cover modern drill instructors that are not allowed to shout at the troops when they get off the bus?  ;)
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Quote from: CarloC on November 29, 2021, 03:04:04 PM
I'm back! I released a devBlog in which I talk about competitions against other camps. There will not only be training and fighting in Full Metal Sergeant, but also running races or challenges at the shooting range. What you'll see in the devBlog is just the race, but the Sniper Cup and Swimming Challenge are also planned.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1698350/view/3126056548267177474

Not sure how I feel about the look of this. It's much more athletic or "Olympic" than anything you would see recruits participating in at boot camp. I think you should take a close look at how this is presented in the game and consider the kinds of competitions and activities that recruits might actually be involved in. Marksmanship is certainly good if you present it in the right way. Also think about hand-to-hand combat training or pugil stick fighting, grenade throwing, close order drill and manual of arms, etc. None of this would be super realistic, but it would all have a much more martial feel and if done right, it could be a lot of fun.

Heck, if dancing can be fun in Sid Meier's Pirates, marching with rifles in step to cadence should be a no brainer.

Just my .02
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog