We have a Pitch Meeting thread now. Threads are _tight!_

Started by JasonPratt, May 10, 2018, 08:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

"We got two books left, which means three movies to go!"

"It feels like you should check that math."

"No, it feels like we should cash that check!"

:DD

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

"...so they're gonna do this whole choreography routine which clearly they've put a lot of work into." "It's good to have hobbies."

One of my favorite films of all time.  :smitten:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

"These are the guys that got scared of a dead alien and ran away?" "Yeah, but they think aliens are cute now. So they die."

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

JasonPratt

"So, you have a movie for me?" "Uh... no, no I don't..."

JasonPratt

"So, you have a 90s movie for me?" "Well, yes, but you don't have to specify the current time period like that..."

True fact: for Face/Off's opening day, I drove three hours over to Nashville to hang out with my best friend from grade school to show him and his new wife some key John Woo films (she was less impressed), and then the next day he and I went to see F/O. At the point where the speed boat ramps off the other boat, the film literally broke.

For half a second we both thought this was supposed to be some meta-effect, and then we realized we weren't going to get to see the end of the film!

The theater owner gave everyone a pass to come back and watch it again the next day, which we did. And were not disappointed. Again!  O0

That said, as far as I'm concerned this is Woo's "Last Hurrah for Gun Fu" (so to speak) and almost his last film before Red Cliffs (the two-part duology version). No further films exist in his corpus, nope, not that I know of...

JasonPratt

"It's gonna be about this Persian invasion, and the 2400 abs which stood up against it."

JasonPratt

"Oh. Well, I guess enough time has passed to reboot it; nothing matters anymore."

:2funny:

JasonPratt

"Yeah, but we gotta use Godzilla's name to get an audience to come see our MUTOs!" "That... didn't sound right." "That did sound kind of inappropriate."

JasonPratt

"So, do you have an Alien prequ-- I mean Prometheus seq-- uh, I mean, do... do you have a movie for me?" "Yes, sir, I do!"

JasonPratt

"Bringing a line back because people really like it is tight!" "Yeah yeah yeah!" "Wow wow wow!...wow!"

Yep, it's super easy, too, barely hard at all!

JasonPratt

"And there's this mysterious person in Madripool called the Power Broker and we don't know who it is." "Is it Mephisto?!" "um, no." "Okay, I'm still a little riled up from the WandaVision pitch."

JasonPratt

Correction: I think it's Madripoor. I find it deeply amusing that, after having reacquired the film rights to a bunch of characters connected to the X-Men and the Fantastic Four, so far Marvel is restricting themselves to a city mainly famous in the comics for its connections to some Wolverine stories, and maybe Agatha Harkness (who's most famous in the comics for being the babysitter for Franklin Richards, son of Mr. Fantastic and the Invisible Woman, and somewhat less connected to the Scarlet Witch and Vision). I even thought Latveria, the home nation of Victor Von Doom, was being introduced in Falcon and the Winter Soldier, but on closer examination it's the real-life nation of Latvia (and city of Riga).

Be that as it may. Here's another deep-geek property about wizards, aliens, and robots!

"Sure, if we start strong, we'll have people's attention, and then we can stop trying storywise from there on out."

JasonPratt

"Wasn't he holding the entire All-spark cube in the first movie?" "I have literally no way to check that!" "uh..."