WW1Gold absolute newbie tutorial / AAR project

Started by JasonPratt, July 05, 2013, 11:26:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Pursuant to drumming up interest in a four-player game of World War One Gold (which I expect would be easier for new players anyway than trying to run both teams for each side simultaneously), I have begun trying to study the game from the most fundamental units upward, rather than following the topical order of the instructions or the tutorials (although the tutorials do sort of go this route. But it's in the midst of so much other information that I easily get overloaded and distracted.)

THUS DO I PRESENT BELOW THE ATTACHMENTS! -- which cover the information on the most common chits. I feel like focusing in like this I've gotten a much better handle on what I'm looking at and what it means.

Also, completely immature humor. (There's less from Part 3 onward, and it's less immature, but this game freaks people out so badly I thought I should try to represent overcoming that in the tutorials. I've toned it back in the 2nd edition of the first two parts.)

UPDATED 9/0/14: NOW WITH NEWLY FIXED AND CONSOLIDATED PARTS (5 instead of 13) -- CLICK HERE TO JUMP DOWNTHREAD FOR THE UPDATED NEWBIE TUTORIALS

Since I can only post so many attachments to a comment at a time, I've been adding the parts downthread; but I'll link to the various parts here -- click to scoot down to where the Parts are posted:

Part 3: Containing My Enthusiasms
Part 4: Our Tiniest Possible Look At The Map
Part 5: A More Intimate Brief Examination Of Tracts Of Land
Part 6: The Most Exquisite Movement
Parts 7 and 8: Preparing To Play With Yourself, and You The One Who Is Moving
Part 9: Moving in Communion
Part 10: Railing Detachedly (I declare "detachedly" to be a real word.)
Part 11: War In This World War
Part 12: Turning and Tossing
Part 13: Suppliant Tracks Of Land

Note that Kushan also wants to try a 4-player game of WW1G, and wants to relearn the system, but has more experience at it than I do, so will be posting relevant additions and corrections below, perhaps, maybe, as I complete portions. Other similar contributors are entirely welcome, too! -- just try to stay focused on the topical progression. I kind of worry I include too much information already in merely the chit entries!

(Consequently, I've now uploaded even-simpler versions. The previous ones had 19 and 11 downloads each, btw.)

Updated: for some consolidations and error fixes, jump below to this and the following post, now in 5 parts! https://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?msg=285784
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Barthheart

Looking forward to this. I have WWI Gold and might even be persuaded to join your 4 player newbie game if you can teach me the game. Tried a couple of times now and no joy.

JasonPratt

And lo, came the third part. It's a bit longer, but that's because I recap portions of the first two parts in showing how the pieces fit together in the container window(s).

Also less immature humor. (Can humor be less immature?)

Next time, more stack/container information, and the first leeeeeeetle bit of map info.

Update: I've fixed a few mistakes in Part 3 and reuploaded it, but if you have the original don't worry it's nothing major.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Arctic Blast

Also definitely looking forward to this. Maybe it will actually inspire me to try the damn game out.

JasonPratt

Now updated with even-simpler versions of Parts 1 and 2 (and fixed a few mistakes in 3), which I worry were still too overwhelming: I've trimmed out many references to how the details affect other parts of the game (and some of the humor, since that might be too distracting).

JasonPratt

And now Part 4, which reduces our first exposure to the map as much as possible, so that the Dark Fairy won't be able to drive our souls mad and hand us over to the devil (or words to that effect).

JasonPratt

Part 5, wherein we become more intimately acquainted with various tracks of land by fingering them!

(... that sounded so different in my head before I typed it...)

JasonPratt

Amazingly, the only entendre pun in Part 6 is the title, I guess.

(I can't wait to start making entendre puns on the Entente! -- were they French? They were the French, right?)

Now that I've covered how to basically move a stack (even in a no-frills fashion), we're just about ready to start the limited active tutorials. Next time, though, how to set up the game for doing the tutorials (or for a real game).

JasonPratt

Not very screenshotty Parts this time, but Part 7 will help you set up the game to play it with all the nifty options; and Part 8 will set you up to check over all the info from Parts 1-6 within the game yourself, including your first simple movements with 1st and 2nd Armies in the Tannenburg scenario.

You!--the one who is moving! Experience.... BIJ!!

(Note: I had an important error in about multiple CPU computers in Part 7, so I'm re-uploading the fixed version. The forum system has posted them below in their order of upload, but Part 7 should be read first, then Part 8, duh. Before then there were 7 downloads.)

W8taminute

Nice job on the tutorials!  I just read parts 1, 2, and 3.  Great start.  I've also re-installed the game on my rig and will start mucking around with it over the weekend.  I'm getting prepared for the inevitable war (PBEM that is) that must break out sooner or later.   ;)

Oh and I love your humor, even if others find it kind of chitty.   :D

One thing I thought I should mention is when initially installing and running the setup of the game make sure you select load all sounds, maps, etc. on start of game.  This significantly reduces load times during game play, especially when switching from phase to phase and turn to turn.  Also remember to run the game in single cpu mode for those of us who have dual or quad core machines.  If you do not there is going to be some horrible mouse lag and stutter as well as horrible map scrolling.  Oops, forgot I should not mention anything about maps at this point.  I'll go sit in the corner with my dunce cap on now.   8)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

jcrohio

Thanks for all this - I too have gotten back into the game and am really enjoying it. I would recommend 3 mods: 1) there is a graphics mod that really helps by lightening all the regions 2) there is a sound mod which takes all the ambient sounds and shortens them (a must in my opinion) 3) there is a naval mod that fixes some of the naming errors and most importantly adjusts some modifiers to tone down the HighSeas fleet advantages - without it the British Grand Fleet gets severely  mauled

Jack

JasonPratt

W8, yes I mention the preload in my game setup portion (Part 7), but I'm glad you clarified the single-cpu version -- I thought that was FOR single-cpu computers! (I had it completely reversed.) I'll fix this afternoon and reload that part.

Heh, at least in this game we won't have to worry about who is allying with whom at any time (or whether allies should even be allowed). ;)

Jcrohio, where is the naval mod? That sounds important. (The regions are light enough for me, and as long as I turn down the ambient sound in the game options I don't care how long that stupid train whistle goes.)

W8taminute

Check out this link for some of the mods mentioned: http://www.ageod-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?240-WW1-mods-and-modding

I like the sounds and their duration in the game as is.  Even the old man yelling 'Charge' during battles makes sense to me.  Remember it was the old fuddy duddy generals telling those poor young lads to rush into the machine gun fire and not to worry about it!

The color mod seems easier on the eyes but in my humble opinion I prefer the vibrant dark colors of the original. 

Haven't tried the naval mod but it sounds like that is a must have in order for the naval war to work right.

And yes, at least the alliances will be fixed and we'll all know where we stand.  LOL
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JasonPratt

^^ In regard to the first four majors anyway (+ Serbia, played by Russia). ;)

Everything else is negotiable.

JasonPratt

Part 9 talks about how to coordinate army movement, and deals with several strategic movement types. But not rail lines, since I would have to create detachments to demonstrate those, and that'll be Part 10. (I plan to demonstrate combat in Part 11, until then I'm avoiding it, although the computer once marched some troops out while I was testing to assault a Russian fort!  :o )