Middle Provincial Era GROGPUBLIC game thread

Started by JasonPratt, September 17, 2018, 05:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Here's a quick updated snapshot of the Aristocrat group:

They're all under some suspicion, but only Cinc is under Major suspicion (having been a Consul last Turn).

They also reek of Influence, and have cash to burn for bribing extra votes from the Senate; and under the circumstances you can probably expect him to successfully appeal to one of those Ora 4 Conservative senators for Advocacy. Cinc is also popular enough that if he gambles on a Popular Appeal to add votes in his favor, it can't be fatal for him.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

It's US Thanksgiving Day, so I'll be out of pocket most (or all) of the day.

But I'll do a quick update here, that the Frog has decided to aim back at Fabius the PontMax again.

The Frog effectively declared his official Prosecution intention with his choice of Prosecutor as well as a target, which simply didn't count by choosing an invalid target; so by switching back to a valid target, Fabius has been officially chosen by the Censor for Prosecution, with Aelius as the proposed Prosecutor.

Tripoli needs to publicly agree to that, if so.

And meanwhile AzTank should be deciding whether Fabius will Advocate for himself, or choose someone else. This comes down to relative Oratory scores, and Fab only has 2, so I recommend finding someone else to Advocate for him.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Tripoli

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 22, 2018, 12:26:24 PM
It's US Thanksgiving Day, so I'll be out of pocket most (or all) of the day.

But I'll do a quick update here, that the Frog has decided to aim back at Fabius the PontMax again.

The Frog effectively declared his official Prosecution intention with his choice of Prosecutor as well as a target, which simply didn't count by choosing an invalid target; so by switching back to a valid target, Fabius has been officially chosen by the Censor for Prosecution, with Aelius as the proposed Prosecutor.

Tripoli needs to publicly agree to that, if so.

And meanwhile AzTank should be deciding whether Fabius will Advocate for himself, or choose someone else. This comes down to relative Oratory scores, and Fab only has 2, so I recommend finding someone else to Advocate for him.

Sorry for the delay.  I've been recovering from a turkey-induced coma.  Aelius, while saddened by the apparent betrayal of Roman norms by the guilty, errr,  accused party (who of course, deserves the presumption of innocence and all the protections allowed by the arena, I mean courts....)  Well, in any case, Aelius reluctantly accepts the call  for his services in this sad affair.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

JasonPratt

This game is just the best...  >:D

I'm assuming AzTank is still hors de turkey, or however the French spell it.

I'm actually more concerned about I.I., however, whom I'm not sure realizes the game is back on. Not that he's had any public choices to make, and maybe he's trying to maneuver behind backs with p-mails; or maybe he's just waiting to see what happens.  :(

JasonPratt

AzTank confirms by chat that he will give the knight to Camillus (minions up to 2; Conservative normal vote tally up to 15; Cam's cash down 2 to 0), and defend with Spurius.

(Also I've seen p-mail confirmation that I.I. knows the game is running, and is caught up on events.)

That sets up the Trial! The Frog must start by calling a vote from all Factions.

We can be sure that the Plutocrats will be voting AGAINST acquittal, and that the Conservatives will be voting FOR acquittal. (If AzTank and/or the Frog want to specify some senators otherwise, that's fine, just let me know pronto! -- it is not necessary for ANY senator to vote one way instead of the other.)

The Conservatives' knight-activist ability doubles the votes of their minions when voting against any Proposition (the idea being to defend against harmful change), but this ability does NOT count when dealing with any other type of vote including Prosecutions. And even if it did, in this case he'd actually want to vote 'for' the result (acquittal) not 'against'.

So, assuming Conservatives vote 'for' and Plutocrats vote 'against', the votes will be 15 to 14 respectively, with a net Player vote so far of +1.

This does NOT yet count any cash spent by Players from senators' personal Treasuries (NOT from Faction Treasuries) as bribes for extra votes! AzTank and/or the Frog should let me know how much, if any, they intend to spend. So should other Players when they weigh in.

I happen to know already that Malize plans to vote AGAINST acquittal, so nominally his 18 votes will swing the current Net Player vote to -17!

Assuming Tripoli, having agreed to Prosecute, bloc-votes his senators, that will be another 14 votes AGAINST acquittal, so -31 currently.

This provisionally accounts for 4 of the 6 players, unless they intend to split votes (or Malize has changed his mind), and not counting any personal cash they want to spend on buying extra votes from the invisible senators.

Erax's activist abilities will be in effect, so if he votes to protect the PontMax he can bring 5 votes; or 7 votes to harm the PontMax. Also, if Erax's Flaminius musters his knights' activism against Fabius, and the Trial ends with Fabius' Conviction, then Flam will gain +2 Influence.

I.I.'s Aristocrats still have the largest total Influence, so their activist voting will be in effect. He can bring 17 votes either way, for or against Acquittal.

If Players need a quick snapshot of the personal Treasuries of their senators, this pre-Senate link is still valid (except that Camilius of the Conservatives no longer has his 2 Talents, those having been retroactively spent on his winning roll for another minion.) http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=22942.msg635290#msg635290

Erax

The Progressives vote against acquittal, with no talents for extra votes.

malize

Jason has correctly allocated my votes.  No talents committed

JasonPratt

Quote from: Erax on November 23, 2018, 09:08:12 AM
The Progressives vote against acquittal, with no talents for extra votes.

That's -7 votes, so the Net Player Vote is now -31 -7 = -38.

JasonPratt

The Frog sends a message by chat, which Larry could see so it counts as a public message which I'll repost here for his convenience:

Quote from: The FrogI will spend in support of the prosecution.
I will match whatever Fabius spends and spend up to 3 more talents if I have them.

Tripoli

The militarists will all vote as a block against acquittal.  From the count thus far, it looks like it will not require me to spend anything extra to secure a conviction.  If I am wrong on that, I will spend up to 3 talents to secure a conviction.   
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

JasonPratt

Strictly speaking, it may not be possible to 'secure' a result either way, during the Faction Vote segment of the Trial. That's because there will always be at least one, maybe two, 2d6 rolls representing shifts in the minor senator votes not directly affected by the Players' senators and their contacts.

Factions for and against acquittal may be able to significantly weigh probabilities toward their preferred outcomes, however.

JasonPratt

Anyway, that validates the provisional net vote of -38 so far (against acquittal), with some clear instructions from the Frog about what to do if Fabius uses any of his personal cash to bribe votes. (I'm a bit unclear about where to take the Frog's own bribes from, but unless he gives me specific instructions I'll try to spread the expense out evenly among his senators.  O:-) )

Consequently, we're waiting for I.I.'s choice, and possibly for AzTank's choice about whether to add bribery or not (which he hasn't indicated yet).

IncompetentIdiot

The Aristocrats will not have the Pontifex Maximus slandered for a tenure that has seen nothing but prosperity and growth for the Republic. I vote for acquittal and spend 12 talents for the defence according to the following public contract:

• In any prosecution of an Aristocratic senator during the following three turns (or the next prosecution of an Aristocratic senator if none occur during that time), the Conservatives will vote for acquittal and defend the accused if so requested.
  • For every talent spent by the Aristocrats in Fabius' defence, the Conservatives will transfer an equal sum to the Aristocrats within two turns.
  • So long as he remains Pontifex Maximus, Fabius will admit Cornelius and Valerius to their rightful places among the priesthood as soon as possible.

JasonPratt

AzTank hasn't agreed to that contract publicly yet, so I won't process that yet.

AzTank sends a message by chat that as part of his voting he'll make a Popular Appeal. (This has to be done when the Accused's Faction sends in their votes, but with asynch there's some lag involved.) He has not yet chosen whether to spend cash on bribing votes yet.

He rolls 2d6...

[roll]2d6[/roll]

JasonPratt

Oh. huh. We seem to have lost diceroll functionality in the move to a new host. Probably just hasn't been activated yet. {squinting} Nope, can't find the button for it anymore.

[dice]2d6[/dice]

Nope, not that either.

Oh well, I'll drop a note to the ad/mods and see if they know how to re-implement it.

Fortunately I have plenty of dice on our TTS gameboard. Unfortunately, he rolls a hard 4 (2+2). +2 Popularity = 6.

That's -4 votes on the Pop Appeal table.

Currently the Net Total Votes stands at -38 (not counting I.I. yet since AzTank hasn't agreed publicly). The Popular Appeal backfiring will make that -42. Fabius' Influence +13 will make that -29 against Acquittal so far.

AzTanks needs to decide if he's going to agree to I.I.'s proposed contract.