Moulin De Bussy 9am June 16, 1815

Started by MengJiao, December 03, 2021, 12:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Wellington met Bluecher at the windmill at Bussy sometime on the morning of June 16.  The Prussian I Corps was on hand and French cavalry were just turning up.  Supposedly Wellington said something like "Don't worry.  I'll bring up troops to support you."  From what Bluecher could see  from the mill, things looked okay and he was expecting 2 or 3 more of his corps to show up pretty quickly, plus here was Wellington saying he would be arriving with troops soon as well:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on December 03, 2021, 12:18:21 PM

The Prussian I Corps was on hand and French cavalry were just turning up. 

Three hours later, Bluecher (after some lucky Prussian rolls and some not-so=lucky French rolls) gets I Corps to block the French I Corps and is bringing in II Corps as well to hold that flank:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on December 04, 2021, 07:10:13 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on December 03, 2021, 12:18:21 PM

The Prussian I Corps was on hand and French cavalry were just turning up. 

Three hours later, Bluecher (after some lucky Prussian rolls and some not-so=lucky French rolls) gets I Corps to block the French I Corps and is bringing in II Corps as well to hold that flank:

And I Corps has survived til early afternoon despite being pretty exposed and attacked by 3 French Corps (whether it will survive the attack of the Imperial Guard later, who can say?).  One obvious ploy
in a longer scenario (this one starts at 9am) especially with early French reinforcements -- is to demoralize a Prussian Corps and I Corps is right there and a big target.  But so far I Corps has survived very well:

ArizonaTank

This is Hexasim's "Ligny 1815: Last Eagles".  Love the system! But I have to admit I haven't played this particular game. So far the series has Waterloo, Austerlitz, Ligny, and Quatre Bras. Can't wait for Eylau that I have read is the next one.

Have you tried integrating Ligny and Quatre Bras?
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

MengJiao

Quote from: ArizonaTank on December 07, 2021, 04:10:59 PM
This is Hexasim's "Ligny 1815: Last Eagles".  Love the system! But I have to admit I haven't played this particular game. So far the series has Waterloo, Austerlitz, Ligny, and Quatre Bras. Can't wait for Eylau that I have read is the next one.

Not really.  This map is shifted toward Quatre Bras (ie I have that map strip down), but nothing has happened in the intervening area.  Historically nothing happened there except that Wellington rode over to visit the Prussians and then rode back.  Meanwhile, a bit to the south d'Erlon, historically, moved his corps almost to the edge of Ligny and then turned back, thus missing both battles.  In this case in Scenario 5, all possible reinforcements arrived early (!) and I assumed Mouton pinned down most of Bulow's corps far to the east. 

Eylau should be interesting, but I'm looking forward to the reissue of Waterloo with a map (or maps) using the map style of Quatre Bras and Ligny.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on December 07, 2021, 04:33:48 PM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on December 07, 2021, 04:10:59 PM

Not really.  This map is shifted toward Quatre Bras (ie I have that map strip down), but nothing has happened in the intervening area.

So with all available forces at Ligny, one basic French problem is that their Corps are a bit small (except for the Guard which is extremely deadly and has astounding amounts of artillery).  So (as with D'Erlon at Waterloo), they don't hold together long enough to even inflict some serious attrition whereas the big, seemingly low morale Prussian corps will last long enough to do  some serious  damage to any French formation except the Guard.  I theorized that at least one Prussian corps would be reduced to demoralization pretty fast, but its hard to juggle up enough attacks on one corps when the others arrive and start  hammering away at the more fragile French formations.