Civil War article in the NYT

Started by Airborne Rifles, June 12, 2013, 08:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Airborne Rifles

A close high school and army friend of mine just earned his doctorate in military history en route to teach at West Point.  He just had an article on the sacking of Darien by the 54th Massachusetts(portrayed in the movie Glory) published in the NYT's ongoing blog commemorating the ACW 150 years later.  Great guy and I'm proud to call him a friend and see his work getting a big stage.  Here's the link:

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/11/the-sacking-of-darien/#more-145233

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

TheCommandTent

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Martok

I enjoyed reading that.  Thanks for the link AR, and kudos to your friend.  :) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Centurion40

Quote from: Martok on June 14, 2013, 03:33:37 AM
I enjoyed reading that.  Thanks for the link AR, and kudos to your friend.  :)

What Martok said.

The article really paints a picture.

Any time is a good time for pie.

Longdan

I enjoyed reading that ...safe above the 49th.  I remember British troops burned and looted Washington as a payback
for Toronto (then known as York) getting kinda blown up and burnt.  Toronto for Washington and you guys think you won!
Anyway I think I like the way that was written.  In today's climate it is rather difficult to recount such an event without
some emotional involvement.  How would I interpret an order to "remove anything of value"?
digni enim sunt interdicunt