Helo Halo has a Name

Started by LongBlade, July 27, 2013, 12:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

QuoteUntil recently, the dazzling visual effect caused by helicopter blades hitting sand and dust - and creating mesmerizing halos described as 'one of the most beautiful things you'll ever see in a war zone - had no specific name; observers would simply marvel at the breathtaking sight without an understanding of what was causing it - or what to call it.

Now, however - to honor the memories of two soldiers killed in the war in Afghanistan - the physics that create these types of breathtaking halos has a name: The Kopp-Etchells Effect.

The effect is named for U.S. Army Ranger Benjamin Kopp and British soldier Joseph Etchells, and was given its title by a photojournalist Michael Yon - who was covering the war and captured the effect in dozens of photos - as a way to honor the fallen soldiers.

Source: http://www.michaelyon-online.com/mesmerizing-halo-effect-caused-by-blades-of-landing-combat-helicopters-named-in-honor-of-two-fallen-soldiers.htm
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

TheCommandTent

Very cool way to honor some of our fallen heroes.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Windigo

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.