NOW I'M OUT TO GET HIM! -- DC1:Blitz JRP vs Barthheart [Completed]

Started by JasonPratt, March 19, 2017, 03:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Fortunately his main argument is basically over at around an hour 10 (not counting the 5 minute prelude that I fronted for color purposes and which otherwise can be skipped). So you won't need 2:30. The most interesting thing after the main lecture is his biographical aside in answer to one of the first questions.

That said, be aware that his lecture literally put Mom to sleep, although Dad stayed engaged up to the end -- and usually Mom is who prefers historical analytics like this.  :nerd:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Our good buddy at Military History Visualized this week, who says he only has a limited interest in whether Stalin meant to go on the offense around the time of Barbarossa but Hitler pre-empted it, quotes Alexander Hill's book (from this year 2017) on the Red Army in WW2, to the effect that Suvorov's "suggestion... is certainly untenable given the evidence available" -- but that nevertheless there's sufficient evidence that Stalin considered an attack in May '41 (one month before Barbie kicked off) and decided the Red Army wasn't ready.

But Suvorov would obviously agree that Stalin didn't think the army was ready in May, or he'd have gone in May! Nevertheless, Hill has to agree that ("given the evidence available") Stalin was "undoubtedly mobilizing for a war against Germany, just not a war in 1941."

I expect Suvorov's reply would be that Stalin intended to postpone until late August, since he would need the mobilized men home for harvest and other key productions if they weren't on the go. It makes no sense for Stalin to have been holding onto his war footing another year, and given the evidence available Stalin was still intending a relatively immediate strike. Otherwise the troops would have been tucked into (what MHV still calls) the forward defensive line which had been moved a lot farther forward. (How much farther forward? 800 to 2000 yards from the borders of Romania and Germany, in attack postures, not defense postures, when Barbie hit by total surprise.)

Anyway, MHV's video this week is on why Soviet casualties were so high -- also on why Wehrmacht casualties were so high. (i.e. they weren't fighting a paper giant. But that naturally begs some questions...)

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Delayed somewhat due to Origins (on Barth's side) and American Independence Day (on both sides), plus the usual production delays of course.

I'm not convinced this is actually taking me less time to produce! -- but at least it takes less time to watch.  O:-)

It should go live sometime before 11:30 am US Central Standard Time.

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Have you been wondering whenifever we'll be getting around to finishing off the back third of our multiplayer DC:Blitz game?

Me, too!  :D

Fortunately, I just sent back Turn 8 to Barth.

Unfortunately, it might be another day or two before I get the AAR posted up. But it's coming.

And yes, Barth still has a very reasonable chance to win the game outright, in case you're wondering.  O0

JasonPratt

Turn 8's AAR will go up sometime around 7:30pm CST tonight (8/13/17). Check back then if the video below isn't active yet.

As bad as things look for the Polish, let me emphasize that Barth not only HASN'T lost the game yet, but I have strong expectations that he's still going to win on VPs!

Sir Slash

You're not there yet Buddy. I don't see a lot of Poles between you and Warsaw. Maybe you've gotten him to fight too far forward to get back in time. If you get Warsaw, you get the win. Maybe a little air recon could help-out and, unless he's got a lot of air defense, blitz the hell out of the city to reduce it's ability to supply the defenders. Can't wait to see how this one ends up.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Crossroads

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

JasonPratt

In case anyone is wondering, we got as far this weekend as Barth sending back Turn 10 this morning. I'll probably consolidate the results into one video, because we're playing them faster than I can work up!

I've also splurged a bit on reading the first part of his AAR, through to turn... 4 or 5? -- since we're well past the point where that will make any difference. Someone should drop him a line and let him know I'm inviting him to watch my videos up through around the same point. At worst it should slow him down long enough for me to get a catchup video made!  \m/

JasonPratt

Have _you_ been wondering whether I had given up defending against Barth's defense of Poland against Nazi aggression defending against their own Soviet allies or something like that?

Me, too!  :crazy2:

Check back here in about an hour to see the results of Turn 9!

Crossroads

Thank you! I have been missing my fix of Lithuanian battle music  :D

That's quite some heavy losses on Poles, keep going at them.

Meanwhile, having originally ordered this game as a digital download, the cheap bugger that I am, I finally jumped at the opportunity to buy the boxed version as part of Matrix Box Upgrade campaign. And WitW too.

Did I get a box though? No! I got a humangeous hardcover book, that's what I got  :smitten:

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Sir Slash

The Groging World waits with baited breath on the outcome. Does anyone know how to actually 'bait' your breath, cause I usually just hold my breath instead?

JasonPratt

It's more like "bated" breath, actually. ;) Related to "abated".

And now you'll have "related to abated" running through your head the rest of the day!  :D

(Note to self: can I work that into the next video...?)

Meanwhile, I can confidently spoil that there will be an 11th turn! -- ...just as soon as I get around to catching up on my 10th turn for the AAR.

Will the situation have passed the point of no victory by then if not already?!

JasonPratt

I did not work abated (breath or otherwise) into the next ep.  :-[

But I did work up the next ep!

I am taking offers for propaganda minister. No reasonable offer will be accepted!

Crossroads

This has been a fun, mobile battle to watch. Plenty of turns, go at'em !!  O0

Some devilishly cunning diplomacy there as well. Will they fall for it?

:clap: