What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN???

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I heard he was doing 18 to 24 months for that illegal Fertilization Clinic he was running.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Martok

That was just the cover story.  I was actually in the Witness Protection Program until they could put away the Giraffe Mafia. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

BanzaiCat

The Giraffe Mafia doesn't play.

airboy

Gusington

Just started Disappearance at Devil's Rock by Paul Tremblay.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Greybriar

I am reading  Ship of Ghosts: The Story of the USS Houston, FDR's Legendary Lost Cruiser, and the Epic Saga of Her Survivors by James D. Hornfischer.  This is a book those who are interested in World War II in the Pacific should read.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Greybriar on October 16, 2016, 05:34:15 PM
I am reading  Ship of Ghosts: The Story of the USS Houston, FDR's Legendary Lost Cruiser, and the Epic Saga of Her Survivors by James D. Hornfischer.  This is a book those who are interested in World War II in the Pacific should read.

Everything by Hornfischer is gold.

Gusington

Just started a collection of Lovecraft-inspired stories called 'A Lonely and Curious Country'.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

OJsDad

Tried reading a book called 'Into the Guns'.  I only got through about a 1/3 of it.  It was such junk, that I actually went to B&N and gave it a 1 star and wrote a review. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

JasonPratt

I'm currently finishing up C. S. Lewis' Till We Have Faces, the only major work of his I haven't read yet in all these years of being a superfan. (I even own and have read the OHEL! And enjoyed it!)

While I don't join those fans who think this is his best work evar (or not yet, I've still to finish Part 2, the extended epilogue to the story), I have been constantly amusing myself while reading it (beyond enjoying the work itself) by imagining that Lewis was writing a narrative AAR of a game of Crusader King 2! (Which for creativity's sake he re-set in a pre-Roman time, using fictional kingdoms.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Martok

Am almost halfway through Lords of the North, the third book in Cornwell's Saxon Tales.  Thus far, I'm enjoying the series even more than I did the first time around.  :smitten: 

Coincidentally, I just received an email from B&N a few days ago notifying me that the tenth book, The Flame Bearer, is due to be released at the end of November.  Giggity!  :D 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

nelmsm

Got started on Gettysburg July 1 by David G. Martin. Not to far in but has lots of detail. Looking forward to working my through this.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

^That's on my short list to-read...please post your impressions!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd