Doctor Who season 8 tomorrow!

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, August 22, 2014, 08:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

Quote from: Ian C on September 21, 2014, 05:53:48 AM
The first two episodes didn't convince me either but you really have to watch up to the latest episode to start to 'get' Capaldi. He's not as approachable as Smith or Tennant but there are scenes in Robot of Sherwood and Listen that start to define his character in a much deeper way. He is though, a grumpy old bastard.

I just watched Robot of Sherwood  and agree. I still think the writing is sloppy but the character of the Doctor is noticeably different in a good way. Being a grumpy old bastard is good. They need to move far away from the 10 & 11 Doctors.

I'm looking forward to the next episode!   
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

GDS_Starfury

Listen will go down as an all time classic Who episode.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Ian C

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 21, 2014, 08:04:10 AM
Listen will go down as an all time classic Who episode.

I totally agree. As a long time fan of the show (since 1968, one of my earliest memories are of a Patrick Troughton episode) there was that moment in the barn that was a real WTF moment and turned the whole continuity on it's head, in a good way.

JasonPratt

Whatever it is (I haven't caught up yet), it couldn't possibly be The Macra Terror (which I just got finished watching as a Loose Cannon reconstruction).

I don't mean that as a compliment to TMT.  :uglystupid2: Some good ideas batted around a little too long...

(For those who don't know, "Loose Cannon" was a group who with BBC's unofficial blessing eventually reconstructed all missing eps from telesnaps and scattered captured footage + sound captures. BBC has started doing sort-of the same thing officially now to fill out missing stories in their catalog, sometime with computer animation instead of telesnaps. Per their agreement, LC takes down videos when BBC releases them officially.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Quote from: endfire79 on September 16, 2014, 08:08:19 PM
I didn't think he was that bad.  I thought he was great in some parts of that 80's run, and it looked like the BBC execs weren't big fans of the series at this point, which did not help.  Wasn't a fan of whoever designed his costume, and I think he made the most of what he was given at that point.

True; also he had practically no experience as an actor at the time, if I recall correctly. But he gamely tried to take the Doctor in a VERY different direction per the writers: they wrote him to be a schizo coward a'hole (to start with), and that's how he faithfully and competently played him.  >:D But characterization marched on, and so did he as his run continued. The Trial of a Time Lord was about the most ambitious thing they ever tried aside from The Key to Time back in TBaker's run. (Well, obviously they've been more ambitious since modern Who started, but in the classical era. The Cartman Plan for 7 was supposed to be ambitious but the plug got pulled before he had done more than hint at it; I hear Big Finish eventually played that out in audio dramas...?)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bbmike

I just watched Listen and all I can say is please, please let the rest of stories be as good as this! Capaldi is excellent as the Doctor in this episode.  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

GDS_Starfury

Im liking the development through the last episode.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

GDS_Starfury

It would seem the first episode of the season is the worst of the lot and I didnt think it was so bad.  Tonights is lots if fun!

Mr. Bigglesworth

I'm dying. I cant watch this season online.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

bob48

Quote from: bbmike on September 24, 2014, 04:53:37 PM
I just watched Listen and all I can say is please, please let the rest of stories be as good as this! Capaldi is excellent as the Doctor in this episode.  O0

Yeah, we caught it last night on catch-up. Very good episode, I like the way Capaldi is shaping the part.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

LongBlade

Daughter #1 got me hooked on the doc this summer. Been catching up with past episodes.

I like this new guy.

-------

Not trying to turn this into a gun debate, but has anyone noticed how these episodes could be quickly shortened if the doctor just carried a weapon?

The bank one was the first I've seen where that solution wouldn't work.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Mr. Bigglesworth

GDS_Starfury

are you all caught up to this season Biggs?

Mr. Bigglesworth

yes. Amazon has the bluray of season 8 releasing Dec.

GDS_Starfury

the quality varies but there seem to be episodes around if you google Dr Who season 8.