Marquee Moon by Televison

Started by MetalDog, October 07, 2014, 07:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

Marquee Moon was the first album by the band Television.  I had heard of the band before, but never any of their music.  In one of those instances of serendipity, I went to Wikipedia looking for something to read, and on the front page, in their spotlight article, was Marquee Moon.  As I already had YouTube up, I decided to check the track listing for the album and play the first song, figuring if I didn't like it, I could play something else.  And while I won't admit to being, 'blown away,' by it, I have to say, that I am impressed with what I heard.

I wrote all of the above and brought this up here because I know that some of our forumites like punk and its musical derivations, most of which I have no liking or taste for, and wondered if this album is seminal for you in any way, shape or form.  The Wiki entry claims for Television and this album influence in alt rock, nu-metal, noise and, of course, punk.  So, what are your thoughts gents?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Bletchley_Geek

Quote from: MetalDog on October 07, 2014, 07:44:19 PM
Marquee Moon was the first album by the band Television.  I had heard of the band before, but never any of their music.  In one of those instances of serendipity, I went to Wikipedia looking for something to read, and on the front page, in their spotlight article, was Marquee Moon.  As I already had YouTube up, I decided to check the track listing for the album and play the first song, figuring if I didn't like it, I could play something else.  And while I won't admit to being, 'blown away,' by it, I have to say, that I am impressed with what I heard.

I wrote all of the above and brought this up here because I know that some of our forumites like punk and its musical derivations, most of which I have no liking or taste for, and wondered if this album is seminal for you in any way, shape or form.  The Wiki entry claims for Television and this album influence in alt rock, nu-metal, noise and, of course, punk.  So, what are your thoughts gents?

I am a great, great fan of Television. An (older) friend of mine introduced me to these guys back in 1995 or 1996, and I must say I didn't appreciate them much back in the day. Too much teenage angst, I reckon.

Years after that, when that angst had long dissipated and I was more willing to listen, I came across their music again, and boy, they were quite a revelation! Regarding the influences, I am not sure I do agree too much with the assessment of the article on the Wikipedia, certainly they were widely listened by many musicians, but tracing direct influence is much harder. More than the album itself, it was that weird NYC scene - as a whole - who can be credited to have had a sprawling and massive legacy, who were all doing very interesting stuff working outwards from the 1960s garage rock and The Velvet Underground

Talking Heads - Psycho Killer

Johnny Thunders - You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory

and this hard-boiled Aussie veteran who sadly passed away a few years ago

Rowland S. Howard - She Cried

Television - Glory <- from the 2nd album

Jonathan Richman - Affection

Thematically and lyrically, the early TV Personalities owe quite a bit to Television antics

Television Personalities - Peel Session 1980

and these guys, who some credit with initiating the jangly pop chords and melodies that were so popular in the UK indie scene in the early 1980s

Jacobites - Hearts Are Like Flowers

Or this quite direct and very recent homage, by this Canadian band

Viet Cong - Unconscious Melody