Question for those of you with young children or are planning to be parents

Started by Huw the Poo, October 18, 2014, 03:33:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

I have a whole load of films I'm just dying to share with my kids once they're old enough.  Some, of course, we've already been able to show.  Labyrinth was one of my favourite childhood films and was similarly well-received by my own kids, as was any Studio Ghibli film we've shown them.  But there are some they obviously can't see yet (daughter is 9yo, son is 4yo):

Aliens.  Probably my favourite film.  I often have this conversation with my lady: "Can't [daughter] watch Aliens yet?"  "No."  "Oh come on, it's such a good film!"  "No."  "It's not that scary!"  "NO!"

Ghost World.  Some really good lessons about non-conformity in this film.  The sooner they watch this, the better, but I reckon they need to be 12 or 13 before watching.

Pulp Fiction.  Purely for the love of film.  Pulp Fiction is a masterclass in good filmmaking and is a must for anyone remotely interested in film.  Obviously they're far too young for this one...

Poltergeist.  Representing the horror genre.  A wide selection, but Poltergeist is the one I'm most anxious for them to watch not only because it's spectacularly good but also because it has strong family themes in it which will hopefully resonate as we're a very close family ourselves.

The Dark Knight Trilogy.  Nolan shows how to make a real comic book adaptation.

Ninja Scroll.  To show how good anime can be.  There's so much crap in this genre that it's easy to watch a few examples and be put off for life.  Ninja Scroll, though, is a remarkable film.

A Scanner Darkly.  As good an introduction as any to Philip K Dick, and - like many of his stories - contains some good cautionary tales.  Or possibly Blade Runner for obvious reasons.

There are obviously loads and loads more but this is kind of a starting point.  So, those of you with your own kids, what can't you wait to show them as they get old enough, and why?

BanzaiCat

My kids are older (13 and 15). I only just a week ago had my son watch Aliens with me. Not because I forbade him to, but I figured he was old enough and we were both looking for something to watch together.

I would steer well clear of Aliens and Poltergeist for those ages, unless you want them to have terror-filled dreams.  O0

Pulp Fiction...yeah, no, not until much older. Mid-teens at least.

Never saw Ninja Scroll, Ghost World, or A Scanner Darkly, so I can't speak to that.

The Dark Knight Trilogy...well, if they've not suffered through the other four Batman 'films' they won't have that point of reference that we do. I would think, though, to be fair, the other four Batman movies are much better for those ages than the Dark Knight trilogy. That would eventually make them appreciate the Dark Knight trilogy, too...bonus.

Huw the Poo

Haha, you misunderstand me Banzai_Cat!  I wasn't asking whether these films are suitable now - none of them are - I was listing the films that I'm looking forward to showing my kids when they're old enough. :)

BanzaiCat