How many PS3 owners do we have?

Started by DV8, April 07, 2012, 08:25:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Quote from: DV8 on April 24, 2012, 04:38:04 PM
I'm game if the others are.  Actually I will have my son play as me so you guys thing I rock. ;)

LOL.  I'm pretty sure that if you played against me I'd still lose.  I'm not that good!  :)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JasonPratt

I own a classic first gen PS3 -- the kind that's big and clunky and (most importantly) shipped with PS2 hardware grafted in, so it's 100% PS2 compatible (as well as 100% PS1, but that was going to be true anyway).

However, my schedule is too wonky for online gaming per se. I just thought I should answer for sake of polling.  ;D

PS3 Skyrim has sucked up nearly 200 hours of my gaming time since mid-November, and will very likely last me through May, too. Not sure what I'll start after that: many things have been released since then, and I have several games I haven't finished (but want to) or even started yet.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

jomni

I have the 1st gen PS3... it broke down after more than 5 years due to a power surge.
Got a new generation one with bigger harddrive (no more PS2 emulation).
Only game I play is Battlefield 3.

Staggerwing

^ Still plenty of new PS2s out there.

Well, I finally went and did it. I picked up the PS3-320GB w/ Move hardware bundle. I told myself that it was for the Bluray/Hulu/netflix option (Yeah! That's the ticket  ;D). I'm not too sure about the Move thingie. If I can't find a good exercise game for it I might just sell that stuff (controller/Eye gizmo). I mainly got this one for the HD size. Bigger is always better, no? I tried to reg my usual Staggerwing handle but it seems unavailable (WTF?). Perhaps I already used it way back when setting up my son's PS2 years ago. It's hard to imagine someone else would want that ID. So, instead, I settled on Staggerwings with the 's'. At first glance I have to say I'm not all that impressed with the downloadable games available. The prices are not exactly great either with 5 year old games selling for $10-15US and two year old games going for $30. ::) I'll be better off picking them up used on eBay or Amazon. I guess Steam has spoiled me AFA pricing goes.

I'm open to suggestions for games if anyone has any. I tend to dislike anything that looks Anime (in games- I don't mind movies) and I'm a lousy FPS player unless the pace is pretty slow (and there is an embarrassingly easy mode). I'll probably start with one of the older WW2 titles but for now no FPS. Something with exploring and some npc interaction and good graphics. I already own the latest three Elder Scrolls games for PC though I may opt to try Oblivion soon or perhaps Skyrim later after the used market gets saturated and prices go down. Some kind of strategy game with nation building and city management could be interesting though probably better suited to PC. 
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

jomni

I only play one game in my PS3 and that's BF3.  I just got Medal of Honor Warfighter.

JasonPratt

Staggerwing(s),  ;D

Yeah, I wouldn't bother downloading much from PSN unless there's a sale; you're better off buying them used off Amazon or wherever.

Now, PS3 has good games that are downloadable only, and those are usually reasonably priced.

I used to avoid FPS on consoles, and still do as much as possible, but my gaming rig is old, and the PS3 isn't horribly bad for that kind of thing. Still, if you have a decent PC rig there's no point, unless you want to play a FPS exclusive to the PS3 like the Resistance series. (I played the first game long ago and it handled fine, although I still miss using a mouse for aiming. PS3 can use mice, technically, but my impression is that games aren't coded for it.)

Over-the-shoulder games in my experience work sufficiently well, although I expect they'd work even better with a mouse, but the games themselves are designed so that mice might actually be too twitchy! With that in mind, obviously the big AAA titles run quite well on consoles: the Arkham games, and Red Dead Redemption, and Skyrim. They're typically less buggy than PC editions, although the visual bling is tapped down a bit.

One great series of that sort of game, exclusive to the PS3, is Infamous (and Infamous 2). If you like sandbox 3PS, you'll love those.

Another 3PS game (also exclusive to PS3?) that works extremely well on console is Just Cause 2. It's a crazy sandbox game on a gigantic map, 20 x 20 miles (by contrast, Skyrim's map is about 4 miles long and not 4 miles wide), with tons of things to blow up and shoot and ride, lots of different terrain, too. (But avoid jet planes, as they're rather crap to handle. Helicopters are godly.)

Ditto Saboteur, although that's available for other platforms: the map isn't as big as JC2 (almost nothing is bigger--the only good modern game with a bigger map than JC2 is LotROnline), but you're playing an Irish ex-terrorist opposing the Nazi occupation of Paris and the surrounding countryside. AND IT IS AWESOME!!

The recent Castlevania game, Lords of Shadow, is very much worth buying used: great gameplay, super-high production values. Not really much of a Castlevania game, but eh. It was built for consoles, and probably plays best on them. As long as we're talking God of War clones, the whole God of War series, duh (although you may have played some of those on PS2). A lot of the PS2 staples have been upgraded to high def, and I've found it worthwhile to get things like the Prince of Persia games updated. (The PS3 native PoP games are quite good, too, although the attempt at rebooting several years ago features a very unsatisfying sequel-setup ending. Forgotten Sands has no such problem.)

I've heard that the Metal Gear Solid tactical games are good, one of which has now been ported over to PS3 (from PSP). Valkyria Chronicles is a spiffy anime-movieish tactical XCOM-like game set in an alternate-universe WW1; that one I've played and can recommend directly.

Cooperative top-down dual-stick shooters are popular on the PS3, and there are several high-quality titles for download on PS3 only, including properties based on Warhammer40K (as a prequel to the 1/3PS title released on multiple platforms last year), Ghostbusters, and Tomb Raider. The Alien Breed trilogy fits that category, too (recently respiffied--unsure if that was originally PS2), as does a multi-vehicle action blow-up title called Renegades.

Recent movie-based games that worked out very well on console are Green Lantern, Captain America, and The Amazing Spider-Man. (3 out of 4 Spiderman games on PS3 turned out greatish, also including Web of Shadows and Shattered Dimensions. The fourth one, Edge of Time or something like that, not so much.)

If you have even the slightest interest in pinball, the Zen Marvel Pinball series (only available for PS3 download) is astonishing. (I'd say avoid the other Zen Pinball tables, mainly because of the painful voice acting, but the designs are generally good.)

I'm admittedly disappointed, after so many years of respectable (if quirky) strategy titles on the PS1 and PS2 that the PS3 hasn't followed suit, but I own dozens of PS3 games and I'm happy with most of them. (Some stinkers slipped in through my vetting, but not many.) I can always fire up my PC for more strategic gameplay.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!