Ghost Recon Impressions!

Started by Jarhead0331, May 22, 2012, 06:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Don't forget guys, GR:FS is released today on consoles.  I've pre-ordered the PC version, but that does not hit retail until 6/12.  I'm going to pick up the 360 version today as soon as I can escape from work. Someone go get it so we can play some MP.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

undercovergeek

'feedback' us as soon as you can JH - ps3 money poised and ready

Jarhead0331

^will do! I'll try to write some initial impressions tonight or tomorrow.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

MIGMaster

Damn! I was all excited thinking you meant the PC version! Regardless, I'm looking forward to your impressions.

LongBlade

Quote from: MIGMaster on May 22, 2012, 08:41:53 AM
Damn! I was all excited thinking you meant the PC version! Regardless, I'm looking forward to your impressions.

Me, too, though I won't even consider this as a console game. If the PC is fun I'll be in.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

undercovergeek

Jarhead0331

In a word?  F*cking Awesome!  OK, that's two words, but whatever.

I love it.  The gear is kicka$$ and it can be extremely tactical if you want it to be.  You are also rewarded for being tactical.  In all of the other GR games, I never felt the need, or really even the desire to act like a Ghost.  Now, I have the tools to really be a ghost and killing is so much more gratifying when your dead enemy never even knew you were there.

There are just enough tools, weapons, technology and tactics to make you feel like a highly trained, very well equipped SF unit, without making you feel totally invincible.  You can and will die if you don't think.  I'm just scratching the surface, but so far I love it, and think it may be one of the greatest Tom Clancy franchise games yet.  Does it have problems? Yes, some of the missions so far at some parts have been quasi on rails and I really don't like that.  Also the graphics are a little bit hit and miss.  Otherwise, I'm one satisfied tactical gaming customer. I'm so happy these "thinking man's" shooters are not totally dead.  After years of run and gun games like MW and COD, GRFS is like a dream come true.

...and yes, this is just the CONSOLE version.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

undercovergeek

How are the controls on a console..... Am I going to get arthritis pressing x r2 and down just to duck or is it ok? Presumably you give the orders to the other guys in a top down view?

Did you give multiplayer a go?

Are you still buying the pc version? And why if so?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on May 23, 2012, 03:37:59 AM
How are the controls on a console..... Am I going to get arthritis pressing x r2 and down just to duck or is it ok? Presumably you give the orders to the other guys in a top down view?

Did you give multiplayer a go?

Are you still buying the pc version? And why if so?

I got it on the 360 precisely because I prefer the 360 controller to the PS3. So far the controls have been very responsive.  I never feel like I'm struggling to get on target with the analog sticks, as is sometimes the case. Crouching is a simple process of tapping the 'B' button.  Hold 'B' for a second and you'll drop into prone. The cover mechanic is easily used with a press of the 'A' button and you can cover swap (ie. move from cover to cover) simply by holding 'A.'  Its very intuitive and very easy.

Your team AI is very competent.  They stay out of sight when necessary, avoid detection, and engage and neutralize targets when appropriate.  I've never actually ordered them to do any of this.  Your character is not team lead, at least, not yet.  So, up until the point I'm at, I've really only been following orders.  I have not acquired the aerial drone yet though, so I haven't been able to play around with the top down view it will provide.  One cool thing I've been able to do so far is mark targets for my team members.  You can mark up to 4 targets.  Each member of your team will target one and then you can target another. When you fire the first round, a slow motion mechanic is triggered and all your team members fire at the same time, taking all the targets down at once.  Its pretty slick.

I have not tried MP yet.

I pre-ordered on the PC.  I think the graphics will be better and I prefer to do most of my gaming in front of the PC.  I may sell the xbox version back once the PC is released.  We'll see.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

undercovergeek

thanks for your time JH - i think my laptop, although pretty hardcore would have a heart attack with this and it maybe a ps3 purchase only - that and my other gaming buddies will be console only

LongBlade

Quote from: undercovergeek on May 22, 2012, 03:48:23 PM
console snob!!

You must be mistaken.

I love my consoles. They make great door stops.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

W8taminute

JH you have convinced me to sneak out of work early today and grab this title for 360.  I'm a bit strapped for cash this month and I knew there was a reason why I was holding off on getting one of those shiny chrome controllers.  Ghost Recon seems to be the reason. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

undercovergeek

Quote from: LongBlade on May 23, 2012, 01:15:55 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on May 22, 2012, 03:48:23 PM
console snob!!

You must be mistaken.

I love my consoles. They make great door stops.

youre a console-ist, that console-ism right there that is  :o

undercovergeek

Quote from: W8taminute on May 23, 2012, 02:04:18 PM
JH you have convinced me to sneak out of work early today and grab this title for 360.  I'm a bit strapped for cash this month and I knew there was a reason why I was holding off on getting one of those shiny chrome controllers.  Ghost Recon seems to be the reason.

im close, i just feel a bit dirty this month - ive bought PR3, Endless Space, have been taunted with Warlock and now this - i had enough games at the end of April - this is just taking the piss!!

W8taminute

Quote from: undercovergeek on May 23, 2012, 02:14:00 PM
im close, i just feel a bit dirty this month - ive bought PR3, Endless Space, have been taunted with Warlock and now this - i had enough games at the end of April - this is just taking the piss!!

It's a great time to be a gamer with all these games coming out.  Too bad money's too tight to mention and so is the time.  Like you, I bought a bunch of games this past month and still haven't played all of them.  Add this one I guess to the list. 

Looks like most of the local vendors in my neck of the woods have a copy too, based on the searches I just performed.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk