Main Menu

Time for an Xbox

Started by DicedT, September 04, 2012, 10:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DicedT

I'm thinking of finally buying an Xbox 360. While I prefer strategy to shooter games, it's becoming harder to rely solely on a PC for gaming.

So, first, I'm thinking Xbox 360 instead of PS3 because there seem to be more titles for Xbox. Next, what configuration should I get (again, I'm not a heavy-duty FPS gamer, but I want a platform that will let me play them comfortably). What accessories do I need?

I want a decent platform, but it doesn't have to be top of the line. I'm on a budget.

Michael

Barthheart

You'll just need the basic level box. It comes with one controller and a small harddrive, 20GB?, that's the one I bought 5 years ago and have never filled the drive up.

I also bought the Kinect device. Some fun stuff available for that including a StarWars Jedi game.

I think you can get a combo package for about $300.

LongBlade

There's a lot of love on a 360 for the money. I've never really enjoyed the hand controller of the 360 - a keyboard and mouse is more my speed. But Millions of gamers can't be all wrong and lots of guys learn to love it. My only caveat would be to suggest that you put some radar up for a new box that might be on the horizon. The 360 is starting to get a bit long of tooth and I wouldn't be surprised if a new box were in development. I haven't heard anything to that effect, but I'm not looking too hard for info. But my gut tells me these boxes are replaced every few years and the 360 is probably getting close to the end of its reign. Maybe :)
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

DicedT

By the way, I am correct in assuming that it's easier to play a game - or at least a shooter game - on an Xbox than a PC?

Michael

Barthheart

I find it easier but I really think it's what you are used to.

I find the xbox controller easier to use becasue I don't have to look at the thing to get my fingers on teh right buttons. I find keyboard driven shooters I suck at because I can't find the right key fast enough.

LongBlade

Quote from: DicedT on September 04, 2012, 10:36:52 AM
By the way, I am correct in assuming that it's easier to play a game - or at least a shooter game - on an Xbox than a PC?

Michael

It isn't for me.

But you should keep in mind that FPS games aren't as simple as they might appear.

You need to have an intimate understanding of the map in order to play them well. Consoles tend to level the playing field in terms of equal hardware - on a PC the faster the processor and GPU the better chances you'll have. Broadband speed plays a role for both console and PC.

Consoles tend to offer copious amounts of auto-aim correction because it can be difficult to get a reticule onto a target using just your thumb. Personally, I'd rather not participate in that. You'll notice that FPS makes don't like to comingle console and PC gamers. I suspect that's because PC gaming rigs that are reasonably state of the art will smoke a console's hardware performance. Getting anyone on the record to say that is pretty much impossible, but that's my two cents' worth.

That said, millions of gamers play FPS games on the console. If you truly want to get a feel for the difference, my advice is to find a buddy who PC games and play the same game on the PC and on the console then decide for yourself.

Oh, and hosting a private server is easy to do with many PC FPS games - I'm not sure it can be done with a console.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Barthheart

Quote from: LongBlade on September 04, 2012, 11:22:06 AM
Oh, and hosting a private server is easy to do with many PC FPS games - I'm not sure it can be done with a console.

If by this you are talking about private games, then yes in most FPS console games you can set it up so that you can play against invited players only... keeps out the swearing 15 yr olds.... :P

W8taminute

I find it easier to play FPS titles on PC rather than on console.  I seem to be able to control my actions quicker and easier using the keyboard mouse combo.  I'm too old to have the reflexes to excel at a controller on a console but I still enjoy playing FPS games on the console never the less. 

I believe the 360 is a better choice then the PS3 simply because the controller is better as well as the gaming achievements aspect.  If you are into seeing your efforts in games get rewarded with a pop up message and some gamer points then the 360 is the way to go.  Achievement hunting is a game in itself. 

I'm the owner of both the PS3 and the 360 and while the PS3 is a much better machine tech wise, it falls short in the software OS category. 

I bought the 250GB hard drive and a Kinnect for my 360.  I would forgo the Kinnect, it's just a gimmick IMHO.  You should be happy though with the base model which includes a controller and a 4GB hard drive.  It is not necessary to install all your games onto the hard drive to play but it does speed loading times up a bit.  You also have less wear and tear on the dvd drive when you load your games onto the console hard drive.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

eyebiter

Has Xbox 360 quality improved?  Know of one that got the red ring of death three times in three years. Each time sent in there was month wait to get it fixed.  When factory warranty was about to expire he sold the console cheap used, heard it lasted another six months before going kaput again.

Barthheart

I've never had the RRoD in the 5 years I've owned mine, but I keep it off when not using it and in an open format component stand so lots of air flow. One of my buddies had the RRoD and got it repaired then improved teh air flow around his unit and has had no problem since.

I also seem to remember that there was a manufacturing change that helped with the problems somewhat.

DicedT

Now I'm not sure I want an Xbox after all...

Michael

W8taminute

^What makes you say that DicedT?

I've owned my Xbox now for about 9 months and play it almost every day.  I also have it positioned so that there is lot's of airflow and so far I have had no RRoD. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Grimnirsson

QuoteSo, first, I'm thinking Xbox 360 instead of PS3

Good choice :)

The new 360s don't have any RRoD issues anymore, the online gaming Xbox Live is the best online service you can find, there's a TON of really good games that all look superb, the controller is the best controller of any console and yes it feels better to play FPS with that controller than with kb/m - it feels more like shooting when you have a trigger and your hand can actually hold something. It's correct there's a new Xbox in the pipeline but it won't hit the market before christmas 2013 or perhaps even 2014, there's nothing announced and MS said Kinect (which really sucks imho) is the reason the 360 will have many more years to come. Even if the '720' comes out the 360 will be supported and if you are new to the console field anyway a now cheap 360 has so many games to offer (also cheap for the 'older' titles which are still great games of course and new to anyone who didn't play them) it will keep you busy for years (sure, multiplayer online games can be problematic because new means many people playing online, old means less or no one is playing). Bottom line: the 360 is a lot of gaming bang for few bucks, you won't regret buying one :)
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

W8taminute

^Well stated Grimnirsson. 

When I told my friends I finally bought a 360 they told me "Welcome to the future".  They were right for exactly the reasons you stated.

DicedT

If the Xbox 720 is coming out in a year, then 360 prices should start to drop over the next 12 months. Maybe I'm better off waiting. $199 for a 360 isn't so bad, but that's with only a 4GB hard drive, I think. Sounds like you can't have more than one game on your HD.