Main Menu

Xbox 360 v PS3...

Started by Staggerwing, January 29, 2012, 07:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

I'm thinking of getting one of these for myself. Up to now I've only had a PS2 and, later, a Wii. Both
were bought primarily for one of my sons to play basic kids games on. I'm sure that I could spend
hours researching the pros and cons of each one but I thought I would ask here about what Yoose-all
thought and, if you only had one of them, which it would be. Bear in mind that I'd get the cheapest version
available. I won't be playing much (or perhaps no) multiplayer and I haven't (yet) seen any killer game
that's exclusive to either one so it's probably the hardware differences I'm most interested in.
I should add that I have a Roku already for Hulu Plus and Netflix.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Jarhead0331

Doesn't sound like you really want it for games. If that is the case, then I'd definitely go for the PS3.  Its a much more powerful system.  It also has the blueray player and its online system is free, as opposed to microsoft's which requires a monthly fee.  I think the xbox has more games that are worth playing, but if that is not your primary use, them the PS3 is the way to go...there is more power and longevity in the hardware.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Staggerwing

Thanks JH. Do you have the motion-tracking hardware for the Xbox? How effective is it?
One of the things I'll probably look for is an exercise program to get into a regular indoor
routine w/out the boredom of my stationary bike facing the wall. I tried Wii fit but it's a
bit grating with all the playmobile -style Wiiples and scenery. I do plan on playing some
games on it but I won't have high demands as far as that goes.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Centurion40

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 29, 2012, 08:38:19 PM
Doesn't sound like you really want it for games. If that is the case, then I'd definitely go for the PS3.  Its a much more powerful system.  It also has the blueray player and its online system is free, as opposed to microsoft's which requires a monthly fee.  I think the xbox has more games that are worth playing, but if that is not your primary use, them the PS3 is the way to go...there is more power and longevity in the hardware.

I'm an Xbox guy, but JH is 100% on the money.
Any time is a good time for pie.

bayonetbrant

should someone invite Paul V Mann to the conversation?   :o
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 29, 2012, 09:05:49 PM
Thanks JH. Do you have the motion-tracking hardware for the Xbox? How effective is it?
One of the things I'll probably look for is an exercise program to get into a regular indoor
routine w/out the boredom of my stationary bike facing the wall. I tried Wii fit but it's a
bit grating with all the playmobile -style Wiiples and scenery. I do plan on playing some
games on it but I won't have high demands as far as that goes.

I do not have the xbox kinect, but I did recently get the PS3 move.  I have not used it that much yet though.  I got it for the sharp shooter weapons and the FPS/TPS games.  However, I found the control much more difficult to get used to than I thought.  This is not because of limitations of the the technology, its just because I'm getting old and these neat gadgets are not as intuitive as they once were.  I'm an old dog used to a standard controller I guess!  :-[
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Bison

Isn't the Xbox 720 scheduled for release in a year or so?

W8taminute

Ok this is a topic right up my alley. 

For the longest time I have been a Sony fanboi and there is no doubt that the PS3 is superior to the Xbox 360 hardware wise.  But Xbox 360 has the better OS as well as the online experience.  I really love the achievement system in the Xbox better than Sony's version. 

That being said, I agree with Jarhead though on the PS3 being the way to go for you.  It is a system that you can do far more with outside of playing games than the Xbox.  Another advantage to the PS3 is it is region free which means you can import and play Japan exclusive games. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Centurion40

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 29, 2012, 10:26:15 PM
should someone invite Paul V Mann to the conversation?   :o

Sweet Jesus no!!!  Here, I'll try to channel his thoughts... "PS3 is the best thing ever made by man, EVER.  Anything else is garbage that makes sewage look like pumpkin pie.  Anyone who doesn't agree with me is a moron and a douchebag."
Any time is a good time for pie.

MIGMaster

We have a PS3 at our house and I rarely use it for games - it's a great media server and netflix, blu-ray device. It's the total package baby !

BTW, I hate Sony - everything they make other than the PS2 and PS3 appears to be complete trash !

Shelldrake

Quote from: MIGMaster on February 01, 2012, 08:40:38 AM
We have a PS3 at our house and I rarely use it for games - it's a great media server and netflix, blu-ray device. It's the total package baby !

Ditto for me. I view gaming on my PS3 more as a bonus rather than a key feature but YMMV.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

JasonPratt

(Hi to old Wargamer crew! {g})

After looking into both from a "wargaming" perspective, I eventually went with the PS3 (also due to its fantastic Blu-Ray capabilities). But I made sure to get one of the old first generation models with PS2 hardware built in. Expensive and even harder to find nowadays in any good shape, but worth it for the legacy capabilities: looking at both systems from the perspective of software, the XBox/360 library doesn't stack up to the PS1/PS2/PS3 library.

Obviously this factor is somewhat reduced if a hardware PS2 version can't be found and/or afforded. But the PS2 software emulation isn't completely worthless, and indeed Sony is now encouraging publishers to promote and re-release PS2 titles online which are guaranteed to work on the emulator. (Not many of the PS2's library there yet, but every week sees a few more.) And PS1 titles are being re-released online all the time even if they can't be found for sale somewhere.

(For some bizarre reason the PS3 has never had any trouble playing PS1 games, whether off downloads or off discs. I own a copy of Panzer General 1 for the PS1 and it plays fine.)

In conclusion: the tactical/strategic library for the Playstation series, while nothing compared to PC gaming of course, is astonishing for a console.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Windigo

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Jarhead0331

^You do realize this is trolling?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Staggerwing

^
^
I don't get it...  ???