Main Menu

American FRIDAY!

Started by Jarhead0331, July 03, 2020, 06:47:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

Quote from: Lotti Fuehrscheim on July 03, 2020, 02:58:28 PM
Quote from: airboy on July 03, 2020, 12:22:29 PM
Quote from: Lotti Fuehrscheim on July 03, 2020, 11:50:14 AM
I am giving Fantasy General a second try this weekend, now that I saw the short (free) campaign.
I am also playing around with Shadow Empire.

Although I wish you Americans a nice weekend personally, American Independence Day doesn't give me a pleasant feeling, as the USA as a nation has become less than friendly to my part of the world. It looks like a bit of a mess from here.

Where is your part of the world?

On the border of Frisia and Saxonia, currently occupied by Holland. Last time we were independent was the late 1400's, since then we have learned to live under various foreign rulers. Generally we like to be friends with everyone.

As with a lot of things in politics, the governed don't always agree with their rulers.  It's all part of the grand democratic experiment.  You, however, have come to the right place for friendly folk. 

As for gaming, I will be in the Arena dueling for some of the weekend.  I still have a M2TW campaign as England to finish.  I installed EUIV on my machine.  Loaded it up, looked around, and thought, "This looks a LOT more difficult to intuit than I remember."  I need to get to some of that.  And yard work.  At least the mowing.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Anguille

I am giving Fantasy General a second try this weekend, now that I saw the short (free) campaign.

Although I wish you Americans a nice weekend personally, American Independence Day doesn't give me a pleasant feeling, as the USA as a nation has become less than friendly to my part of the world. It looks like a bit of a mess from here.

On the border of Frisia and Saxonia, currently occupied by Holland. Last time we were independent was the late 1400's, since then we have learned to live under various foreign rulers. Generally we like to be friends with everyone.
Interesting. What is the country/nation you think of? Are you a german speaking Dutch? Or do you speak Frisian?

Martok

Great song!  I'll admit, however, that when I saw the thread title, this was the one that immediately came to mind  8) ): 

Gaming-wise, I have a Total War tag-team going between my Kiev campaign in Medieval 1 and my Mamlakatin Saba campaign in Rome II (DEI mod).  I confess the latter isn't going well; I may need to restart it on Easy difficulty.  :-[ 

I also have a nice little Federation campaign going in Birth of the Federation (UM5 mod), and am playing around with Interstellar Space: Genesis, now that the new update has dropped. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Lotti Fuehrscheim

Quote from: Anguille on July 03, 2020, 03:10:25 PM

Interesting. What is the country/nation you think of? Are you a german speaking Dutch? Or do you speak Frisian?

I live in the city of Groningen. The surrounding formerly Frisian lands changed language around 1400 from Frisian to Lower-Saxon, the language spoken in the city. My father was bilingual in Lower-Saxon and Dutch, but my mother, coming from Amsterdam, considered dialects a speech impediment and I was raised purely Dutch.

The Lower-Saxon language is shared with all of Northern Germany, it gets you to the borders of Denmark and Poland, it was the language of the Hanze League.

I am afraid I have moved my identity to the past and regard modern nationalism as a harmful folly  :tickedoff:

Anguille

Quote from: Lotti Fuehrscheim on July 03, 2020, 03:52:13 PM
Quote from: Anguille on July 03, 2020, 03:10:25 PM

I live in the city of Groningen. The surrounding formerly Frisian lands changed language around 1400 from Frisian to Lower-Saxon, the language spoken in the city. My father was bilingual in Lower-Saxon and Dutch, but my mother, coming from Amsterdam, considered dialects a speech impediment and I was raised purely Dutch.

The Lower-Saxon language is shared with all of Northern Germany, it gets you to the borders of Denmark and Poland, it was the language of the Hanze League.

I am afraid I have moved my identity to the past and regard modern nationalism as a harmful folly  :tickedoff:
My grandparents spent all their summers in Norderney...fantastic region. My children grow speaking 3 different languages: bassa, german and french...  ;)

Anguille

Quote from: Martok on July 03, 2020, 03:46:06 PM
Great song!  I'll admit, however, that when I saw the thread title, this was the one that immediately came to mind  8) ): 

Gaming-wise, I have a Total War tag-team going between my Kiev campaign in Medieval 1 and my Mamlakatin Saba campaign in Rome II (DEI mod).  I confess the latter isn't going well; I may need to restart it on Easy difficulty.  :-[ 

I also have a nice little Federation campaign going in Birth of the Federation (UM5 mod), and am playing around with Interstellar Space: Genesis, now that the new update has dropped.

And i was expecting this:

Jarhead0331

Ah...an admitted globalist.

We promise not to judge you. I can understand though why you think things are looking hostile. Afterall, the US is no longer paying the total bill for Europe's defense, protecting it from Russian aggression free of charge, or taking it in the rear from unfavorable trade agreements.  O:-) >:D O0 :-" :bd:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Vintage Dude

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 03, 2020, 04:59:29 PM

Ah...an admitted globalist.

We promise not to judge you. I can understand though why you think things are looking hostile. Afterall, the US is no longer paying the total bill for Europe's defense, protecting it from Russian aggression free of charge, or taking it in the rear from unfavorable trade agreements.  O:-) >:D O0 :-" :bd:
+1

Sir Slash

I'll +2 that one myself.  :clap:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

al_infierno

I don't wanna dogpile but JH ain't the official Judge Advocate General for nothin'.   \m/
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Lotti Fuehrscheim

Quote from: Anguille on July 03, 2020, 04:05:20 PM
My grandparents spent all their summers in Norderney...fantastic region. My children grow speaking 3 different languages: bassa, german and french...  ;)

Ah, those white dunes in the sea!

I spent a month each summer from my 4th to my 18th on the similar Frisian isle of Vlieland. And then a couple of years with my own kids. Heaven!

Sir Slash

How can it be a dogpile if there's only one? My neighborhood goes a little nuts on the Fourth and by dark they'll be everything but 155mm rounds going-off all over. By 9pm, I'll be living in the middle of The Battle of the Bulge. Drinking helps a lot... along with fire-prevention equipment and a really good helmet. But what-the-hell, it's America. Love it or wish you could be here. Have a great one Grogs!  :hug:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

Using a good strategy and tactics rigorously following the strategy - I managed a decisive victory for the Central Powers in July 1916. 

I'm now changing sides and playing the Entente.  The AI is following the historic plan by invading Belgium immediately.  Sub warfare will probably start very soon.

Central Powers have interior lines - but two very weak reeds in Austria-Hungary and (eventually) the Ottoman Empire.  The Entente have a strong land power (France) a very strong Naval Power (Great Britain) and a moderately strong land power (Russia), and a land power that will be crushed whenever the Central Powers decide to concentrate their forces (Serbia).

My strategy will be to concentrate on nailing the Ottomans when they enter, whacking Austria Hungary now and playing Defense & blockade starvation against Germany.

GroggyGrognard

This is the start of my two week vacation. Some Shadow Empire and The Division 2. Maybe some Shellshock Live for mindless fun. Also, speaking of mindless fun, recently have gotten into Talisman: Digital Edition on Steam.

Have a great and safe 4th, Grogs! And wear your masks! (especially if you are traveling to Mt. Rushmore.)

Groggy
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

Anguille

Update:

Tried twice the campaigns of amerindians in Empire Total War....lost twice. Man it's hard to fight soldiers with guns when you have only arrows and axes and the white man has allies all around! The mood is really nice though with lots of great music.