B-17: The Mighty 8th - An AAR of WTHAID* (FULL CREW, but need fodder)

Started by BanzaiCat, November 07, 2014, 07:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Nastyface

FWIW...
On some missions, incoming fighters seem to collide with bombers all the time.  On one mission into Germany, only three bombers survived as the rest fell to catastrophic air collisions.  You MAY want to consider turning "collisions off".  Normally, I would NEVER do such a thing in any sim game I play, but considering the results of the fighter AI, I find this "unrealistic" setting actually provides for what is probably a more historical experience.
@JasonPratt...I tend to spend most of the game in navigator position as well, except for the few tense moments when I am under fighter attack, or on the bomb run (obviously still my favorite).
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Jack Nastyface on November 18, 2014, 11:53:26 AM
FWIW...
On some missions, incoming fighters seem to collide with bombers all the time.  On one mission into Germany, only three bombers survived as the rest fell to catastrophic air collisions.  You MAY want to consider turning "collisions off". 

I thought about that and saw some Let's Play videos where 109s did exactly this, taking out a bomber. I read somewhere that the AI-controlled Germans might do this if they're damaged and pull a Kamikaze on purpose. That doesn't seem something that German pilots would do.

However, I think I'm going to keep that option on. I might change my mind after I think on it some more, so thanks for bringing that up.

I'm intending to put everyone on high initiative, but that's something that works kind of wonky in the game. I advanced time and got a message that someone was bleeding, and went into the nose and saw the bombardier sitting on the floor slumped over while the radio operator was sitting in his bombardier's seat. The navigator and the radio operator were ignoring him studiously. I thought high initiative would mean they'd help their fellows out with first aid, but apparently not.

Oh well. I intended to be the 'spirit' of this bomber and just jump around to observe but to not take direct control of anything. For one, it seems more of a immersive experience. For another, more practical reason, I don't have a joystick or controller to control these guys with. I've already tried doing the machine guns on manual and can't figure out how to move or fire them, so I will have to do a bit more research.

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 17, 2014, 03:31:25 PM

Also, manual navigation was broken; don't know if that's been patched. Loved looking out the windows trying to get fixes though.

I was concerned about being able to easily do that in Rise Of Flight full real servers but it turned out being fairly easy with that one.  Probably more difficult in these older sims where the terrain is less defined. 

Dunno if this one featured the nav dome of the B-17 and other such stuff to go by.  I'd be surprised if it did.