Grogheads 2014 Fantasy Baseball Season

Started by Bison, February 23, 2014, 07:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marty Ward

Damn Yahoo can see the future. Arenado is 2 for 2 with a run scored and his game hasn't even started yet!
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

Bison

Well my starting pitching has been so unpredictable this season.  I've got a decent enough roster, but man are they inconsistent.

bayonetbrant

I'm just wondering how different my season could have been without Zim on the DL all season and with Verlander pitching like 2011 Verlander and not 2014 Verlander.  I wouldn't have come close to winning, but I wouldn't've been in the cellar all year.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Marty Ward

Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 02, 2014, 12:53:32 PM
I'm just wondering how different my season could have been without Zim on the DL all season and with Verlander pitching like 2011 Verlander and not 2014 Verlander.  I wouldn't have come close to winning, but I wouldn't've been in the cellar all year.

It's hard to say if it would have made any difference at all. In a weekly league you can run into the hot team for 2-3-4 weeks in a row. Your team may put up solid numbers but your opponent is having the best week of the year against you. There isn't much you can do about that.

Weekly leagues take a lot of work. You have to make sure that your starters are in when they start, as sometimes they only start once in a week. You have to make sure as many positions as possible have players who are starting their game in the lineup. You have a good group of starters, all but Jeff Spellmynameright have double digit wins on the year, yet you only 3-16-1 in the Wins category during the season. I don't know how that happened.

You also need to make changes to your team as injuries and opponents change. There were a few weeks where I just picked up a starter just to try and win SO or Wins and it worked out. I had already lost ERA and WHIP so it didn't matter how hard they were hit as long as they got the two areas I still had a chance to win. In a yearly league you wouldn't do that.

Another thing to look at is your opponents squad. If your opponent has 6 starters and you only have 5 chances are high you will lose the Wins and SO categories simply on volume. That means you have to win all the other categories to 'win' pitching that week.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

MetalDog

Pitching is definitely the easier of the two to manipulate.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Marty Ward on September 02, 2014, 01:41:34 PM
Weekly leagues take a lot of work. You have to make sure that your starters are in when they start, as sometimes they only start once in a week. You have to make sure as many positions as possible have players who are starting their game in the lineup. You have a good group of starters, all but Jeff Spellmynameright have double digit wins on the year, yet you only 3-16-1 in the Wins category during the season. I don't know how that happened.

I would set my starters up every Sunday (part of my problem right now is 3 guys starting on the same day and why start Verlander over either Weaver or Felix) and I would check my hitters every morning and shuffle if someone's team wasn't playing.  But I was never doing enough analysis of the hitters day-to-day to over micro-manage the lineup.  I should've had a big shakeup in early July instead of late August just to see if I could accomplish something different.

Truthfully, I'd rather not be the total embarrassment that loses to the limeys, but I said all along that I was really only in the league to make sure we had enough teams to play, and wasn't expecting too much out of it.  I've learned more about how this works, but I might just turn over the management of the Shotgun Express to Bayonet Jr next season :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

Probably wise.  And he can't do any worse ;)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

undercovergeek

Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 02, 2014, 08:22:36 PM
Truthfully, I'd rather not be the total embarrassment that loses to the limeys, but I said all along that I was really only in the league to make sure we had enough teams to play, and wasn't expecting too much out of it.  I've learned more about how this works, but I might just turn over the management of the Shotgun Express to Bayonet Jr next season :)

Oi!!!!!!

i have been nothing but respectful  :P

bayonetbrant

Yes, but you're respectfully kicking my ass at a game you've admitted you don't know much about  :(

undercovergeek

i see your point - bowling is still a complete mystery to me, and looking at the guys at the top of the league they have more than twice my bowlers so thats where ive gone wrong

Batting im getting my head around

Marty Ward

Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 02, 2014, 08:22:36 PM

I would set my starters up every Sunday (part of my problem right now is 3 guys starting on the same day and why start Verlander over either Weaver or Felix) and I would check my hitters every morning and shuffle if someone's team wasn't playing.  But I was never doing enough analysis of the hitters day-to-day to over micro-manage the lineup.  I should've had a big shakeup in early July instead of late August just to see if I could accomplish something different.

Your pitchers are defintely a mystery. At the beginning of the year I figured you would just dominate the pitching categories.

bayonetbrant

Verlander, Verlander, Verlander...

That and Matt Cain went on the DL, Bucholz was as useless as socket wrench on the mound, and the Papelbon vs Romo relief pitcher challenge never quite resolved that well.  Papelbon had a habit of blowing up at exactly the wrong times, but Romo's ERA was a constant anchor on the team.  I should've steered clear of anyone named "Romo" in a sports context...

Marty Ward

Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 03, 2014, 08:12:08 AM
Verlander, Verlander, Verlander...

That and Matt Cain went on the DL, Bucholz was as useless as socket wrench on the mound, and the Papelbon vs Romo relief pitcher challenge never quite resolved that well.  Papelbon had a habit of blowing up at exactly the wrong times, but Romo's ERA was a constant anchor on the team.  I should've steered clear of anyone named "Romo" in a sports context...

Even though he didn't have a season like in the past Verlander still has 12 wins and averages almost 8 K's per 9 innings. He's better than some of the rubber band arms I've had!

Bison

Well my team seems content to just sink it up going into the playoff rounds starting next week.  If the scores hold true, the match ups should be MD vs Big Papi and Marty vs me.  /sigh/  I'll rest tonight knowing at least team Bison figured out a way to back into the playoffs.

bayonetbrant

If I get relegated, who comes up to take my place?  :)