To My Old Master

Started by Steelgrave, February 01, 2012, 10:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelgrave

Not quite military history, but one of the most amazing things I have read in some time.

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2012/01/to-my-old-master.html

Jarhead0331

Remarkable, indeed.  I would love to have been a fly on the wall when the COL read that letter.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

That is awesome. The whole thing. His closing stands out though: "Say howdy to George Carter, and thank him for taking the pistol from you when you were shooting at me."

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Steelgrave on February 01, 2012, 10:37:58 AM
Not quite military history, but one of the most amazing things I have read in some time.

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2012/01/to-my-old-master.html

Actually, I think should probably just call this thread "History." We have enough non-military history buffs to make that viable.

Also, love the request for the $11,000. I wonder if that was his way of flipping his former master the 19th century bird.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Jarhead0331

" I served you faithfully for thirty-two years, and Mandy twenty years. At twenty-five dollars a month for me, and two dollars a week for Mandy"

Interesting how he feels his services were so much more valuable than a woman's.  Even the prejudiced were prejudice.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

^Yeah there's never been a monopoly on keeping people down.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

I posted that to my FB account last night. So far no comments on it that I'm aware of. But I do almost get a subtle sense of humor in the note.

I also wonder if he wrote it or if he had help, and if so, who the ghost writer was.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Steelgrave

Oh, I missed that. Guess I should read my Facebook now and then, haha!

LongBlade

Quote from: Steelgrave on February 01, 2012, 12:40:43 PM
Oh, I missed that. Guess I should read my Facebook now and then, haha!

I don't blame you. My FB activity is almost exclusively one way. I upload, but only rarely surf to see what others are doing.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: LongBlade on February 01, 2012, 12:35:12 PM
I posted that to my FB account last night. So far no comments on it that I'm aware of. But I do almost get a subtle sense of humor in the note.

I also wonder if he wrote it or if he had help, and if so, who the ghost writer was.

I commented!
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

LongBlade

Saw dat. After I posted. Sorry :)