The 2015 Baseball Thread

Started by MetalDog, February 02, 2015, 07:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Quote from: Arctic Blast on October 29, 2015, 10:36:59 PM
Actually, those Indians teams Hershiser pitched for were offensive juggernauts.

I was thinking Orel started pitching for them in 92.  The early 90's Indians teams were not very good and were sub .500 teams.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on October 30, 2015, 07:00:21 AMI was thinking Orel started pitching for them in 92. 

he was with the Dodgers thru the strike, and the Indians after that.  They first made the World Series the first year he was in Cleveland.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Just think steroids saved baseball from the effects of the strike.  Or something like that.

Bison

This is a really good list of players not in the Hall who deserve some consideration.  It's over a year old, but the names on it haven't changed.  Man reading though this list really brings back childhood memories.  How the hell is Alan Trammel not in the Hall?  I always assumed he was inducted.  Shame.

http://baseballpastandpresent.com/2013/01/02/50-baseball-players-hall-fame-version-3-0/

Marty Ward

Well there are a minimum of 750 players on the major league rosters each year. If only the best of the best gets to the Hall then there may only be 10 playing in any given year who will make it. Are there more than 10 really good players in any given year, hell yes, but some will not make it even if it may leave you scratching your head. It needs to be exclusive not inclusive.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

Bison

Man not even Sweet Lou Whitaker makes the cut?  Damn it!  He was one of the best.

Nah I get what you are saying Marty.  But the debate is fun! 

Bison

And for those of you who don't have Out of the Park Baseball, it's on sale at steam for $10.  Works on all OS and is a baseball stats fanatic wet dream of simulation.

Marty Ward

Quote from: Bison on October 30, 2015, 11:12:22 AM
Man not even Sweet Lou Whitaker makes the cut?  Damn it!  He was one of the best.

Nah I get what you are saying Marty.  But the debate is fun!

I agree with that.

There are always some who you think should be in but aren't.  There is not much debate about those who do get in though, they deserve it.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

Bison

Yeah I'm trying to think of someone in the hall who shouldn't be and off the top of my head I cannot name one.

Marty Ward

I also like that they are putting front office guys, announcers, managers and even umps in. They all contribute to make the game what it is and some should be recognized for exceptional achievements.

I've been to it 3 times, when Brooks Robinson was inducted, when Eddie Murray was inducted and when Cal Ripken was inducted. It is really crowded when they induct but it is worth it if 'your guy' is going in. Ripken was the worst, they had no idea it was going to be so crowded. It set records which I think will be shattered when Jeter goes in.

If you want to take your time and go through it at your own pace don't go on induction weekend. If you do go on induction weekend make hotel reservations way in advance. One time the closest we could get was Binghamton NY, about 80 miles from Cooperstown.

MetalDog

Quote from: Bison on October 30, 2015, 12:15:48 PM
Yeah I'm trying to think of someone in the hall who shouldn't be and off the top of my head I cannot name one.

Bill Mazeroski

Phil Rizzuto

Pee Wee Reese

There's three off the top of my head.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Bison

I'm not inclined to pass judgment on guys I never saw play.  Why they got your hall panties in a bunch?

MetalDog

They don't really.  Those are names I remember from hearing "Baseball Guys," like Gammons and Kirkjian and that ilk bringing up when discussing guys that maybe shouldn't be in the Hall.  Mazeroski was a good field no hit 2nd baseman who's mostly remembered for beating the Yanks in the '60 World Series.  Rizzuto is in mainly on the strength of being the shortstop for the Yankees juggernaut of the 50's and Reese was the Dodgers shortstop who lost all those Series to the Yanks in the 40's and 50's.  What else any of them did, I couldn't say.

Bison

I hear you.  Those guys are baseball fanatics. 

MetalDog

I used to be able to tolerate Gammons.  He didn't let his Red Sox bias show through until late in his career.  Kirkjian is into the minutiae and history of the game.  More than I ever was.  And it's easy to get him to laugh.  Scott Van Pelt used to do it on his radio show and Dan LeBatard has Kirkjian on now, too.  They get him to laugh every time.  It's a great laugh.