The 2015 Baseball Thread

Started by MetalDog, February 02, 2015, 07:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

The Royals run this post-season is one of the most amazing I've ever seen.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on November 02, 2015, 09:08:55 AM

The Astros helped out by borrowing most of their bullpen "talent" from the Savannah Sand Gnats and the Holly Spring Salamanders.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Marty Ward

I thought last's years run was better than this year. Barely making it into the playoffs, going undefeated until the WS, with a club that wasn't as good as this years club. A lot of people picked them to make the playoffs this year.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

Bison

John Smoltz said it best last night after the Royals put up 5 in the 12th.  Every team in the playoffs can say we should have beat the Royals, but they didn't.

Bison

Quote from: Marty Ward on November 02, 2015, 10:22:46 AM

I thought last's years run was better than this year. Barely making it into the playoffs, going undefeated until the WS, with a club that wasn't as good as this years club. A lot of people picked them to make the playoffs this year.

Last year was an amazing run,  Knut they were projected to be 3 or forth on the central.  It was Detroit or Chicago who suppose to compete for the central.  I still thing that if they sent Gordon home in the 9th against the Giants he would have scored.  But that was in the past and last night is reality. 

The Mets and royals were both pretty sloppy with infield defense.  But Daniel Murphy will go down as the goat along with the reliever Familia.  3 blown saves in the World Series is crazy for a good reliever.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Nefaro

Been so long since a World Series win, here in KC, the schools are all out today for the parade.  As is some businesses. 

I detect much drinking & celebrating ahead.

Just wish our football team could do the same.  It's been even longer.   :knuppel2:

bayonetbrant

post some pix!

(and this thread is going to get un-stickied soon)

Bison

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 03, 2015, 09:24:09 AM
post some pix!

(and this thread is going to get un-stickied soon)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It's free agent season and post-season moves and only 3 months until pitchers and catcher report!

On a side note: The Royals have some big decisions this off season.  Gordon declined his option.  So now the need to decide on at least two of the core from this year's team Gordon and Zobrist.  I hope they sign both, but money will be an issue.  They need another starter too, but man I just thing KC will get hit by the small market money crunch this off season.  On the bright side, they do have a pretty strong farm system.  So hopefully there is some talent waiting to breakout next year.  I'm a little disappointed that they declined the option on Alex Rios.  Sure he wasn't the best this season, but I like his playing style and I think he just adds some class and leadership to the team.

MetalDog

Kansas City has been to the last two World Series and won the last one.  They didn't let anyone in for free.  Drayton may want to run the team within a budget, but, I'm sure it could encompass the signing of Gordon, Zobrist, Rios AND a starter if he so chose.  He would do well to try and do just that.  And if he doesn't, as a KC fan Bison, I would be kind of mad he didn't.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Bison

Well I can honestly understand the Rios decision from a financial standpoint.  He really was not productive this year from the plate.  But his presence and clutch hits during the playoffs just stand out to me.  The bigger long term issue is that Hosmer, Moose, Davis, Cain, and Perez all become free agents I think at the same time or within one year of each other.  So there is a lot of money that needs to be figured out how to spend on and who coming up in the next few years.  But I think the Royals have the potential to be very competitive next year again, but there are some really good teams lurking for their shot now.  I cannot believe I'm going to say this but the Cubs are a team to fear next year especially if they make a couple of big moves in FA.

Arctic Blast

The Cubs are good, the Raiders actually look good...what the Hell is happening with team sports?!

The Royals truly earned their win this year. It was also nice seeing a postseason filled with some new blood. For KC this off season, I'd push the hardest to keep Zobrist and Gordon. Jarrod Dyson is more than ready to step in to an outfield spot now, so there's your right fielder. I don't know who they have coming along, so maybe they have a kid second baseman or outfielder ready to make the jump. They'll need to find a bargain arm to replace Cueto, because I can't see them affording his price.

Long term, they HAVE to keep Perez. Cain would be #2, and Hosmer #3. Moose is too inconsistent. Unless he repeats what he did this year and shows that he really has improved, I'd let him walk. Let some other team pay stupid money for a closer. They seem to do just fine finding late inning relief options, and Herrera certainly looks like a guy who could take the gig.

Bison

Yeah I pretty much see the four of them in that order too, but Hosmer was THE pick to build the team around 6 or so years ago.  The problem with Perez is where doesn't he move to when he isn't the full time catcher.  He really doesn't have the power to go to the DH slot, Hosmer and Moose are both outstanding defensively at their positions.  Tough decisions ahead for sure, but at least it's a couple of years out and a lot can change in baseball in a couple of years.

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob