Grogheads Fantasy Football 2014 Season

Started by Bison, July 14, 2014, 08:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arctic Blast

I like 2-3 keepers. I know that you can set up a league with specific keepers already on rosters, but I have absolutely no idea how it works. Yay for no help at all!  :D

Bison

Look on your teams for the keeper tab that is how you designate a keeper.

My thoughts:
3 keepers
keeper occupies 1 spot higher than last years round drafted or projected round to be drafted this year if not originally drafted by the player.  (1st round choice remains 1st round.  2nd round becomes a 1st rounder this year and so forth.)
draft order/rounds preset based on last years final standings.  I cannot remember who won but I'm sure Metaldog can remind me.  They pick last.
once the keeper picks are selected, the draft is set and either metaldog or myself can preplace players into the correct round of the draft is my understanding.
trading drafts picks.  We are a keeper league this means picks traded can be record for, I believe, out as far as 2 years can be made.  The traded picks are tracked in the game.

If a manager from last year does not return, we will attempt to recruit a new manager for that team.  The new management can change the name, logo, avatar and choose keepers based on the last year's players.  Right now just waiting on replies from Steelie and Con from last years owners.

We are sitting at 8 teams right now.  The league can grow to 12 if anyone is interested.

I'm pretty good with how the games scored last year.  There might be a few tweeks to be made.  Make your proposals for league rule changes now.  The owners can voice their opinions and then we'll put it to a vote.

Marty Ward

I don't see a keeper tab.

My suggestions for scoring changes would be:
Make sure you only count a fumble if you lose the ball. I'm not sure if it was that way last year.
Sacks +1 instead of +2.
2 points for a 0-19 yard field goal.
Defenses allowing 300-399 yards 0 points instead of -1. This is about the average and you shouldn't lose points for being average.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Marty Ward on July 17, 2014, 09:47:35 AM

Make sure you only count a fumble if you lose the ball. I'm not sure if it was that way last year.
Sacks +1 instead of +2.
Defenses allowing 300-399 yards 0 points instead of -1. This is about the average and you shouldn't lose points for being average.

Choose Keepers is the final option that comes up under My Team. I can't tell if there's a way to determine which round you selected a player, though.

Marty Ward

Quote from: Arctic Blast on July 17, 2014, 12:04:41 PM
Quote from: Marty Ward on July 17, 2014, 09:47:35 AM

Sacks +1 instead of +2.

Choose Keepers is the final option that comes up under My Team. I can't tell if there's a way to determine which round you selected a player, though.

Found it. Thanks.

How many do we keep? I seem to be able to keep everyone if I want.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

MetalDog

Looks like Bison suggested 3 keepers.  Not on the site, but, check Draft Central tab.  It may give you a list of where you drafted someone last year.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Bison

Yes if you go to the draft section there is a hyperlink to last years draft.  The players on your team who were drafted will show which round they were drafted.  For right now keeper is 3.  Ultimately Metaldog or I will need to insert your keepers into the draft for this year.

Marty Ward

Quote from: Bison on July 17, 2014, 06:56:37 PM
Yes if you go to the draft section there is a hyperlink to last years draft.  The players on your team who were drafted will show which round they were drafted.  For right now keeper is 3.  Ultimately Metaldog or I will need to insert your keepers into the draft for this year.

Can the ones you keep be your initial round picks? If you keep 3 then they are your 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks.

MetalDog

As I understand Bison, each keeper is treated as a pick one round higher this year than last.  So your 3rd last year becomes a 2nd this years.  Your 2nd a 1st.  Problematically, I don't know what to do if you choose to keep your 1st round pick.

Bison

Your 1st round would just remain a 1st round.  The basic premise is that it will force talent to be recycled into the available pool.

MetalDog

Quote from: Bison on July 18, 2014, 05:11:19 AM
Your 1st round would just remain a 1st round.  The basic premise is that it will force talent to be recycled into the available pool.

So, you won't be able to keep your first AND second round picks?

Marty Ward

I don't see why where someone was drafted last year should matter. My guess is that most people will keep their first round pick from last year as one of their keepers. Unless they got hurt why wouldn't you, they are probably the best player on your team? If you found a gem in the 8th round last year and they are now projected to be a 2nd round pick this year why should you give up an 8th round this year? That is what they were last year and you got them cheap. That doesn't mean you should get them cheap every year.

MetalDog

Let me start by reiterating that I have never been in a keeper league.  Everything that follows is speculation and based on what I've read in the (sometimes very distant) past.  For example, let's say that you picked up Aaron Rodgers the year he first became a starter.  Let's say you picked him up in the 7th round.  From that day to this, Rodgers has steadily improved to become one of the handful of elite QB's in the NFL.  Now, let's also say that there is no penalty for designating Rodgers as your keeper.  So, every year, you get to pick studs to fill out your roster to go along with the State Farm pitchman and you do not have to spend a high draft pick to assure your team of Aaron's services.  So, in theory, you could have Jamaal Charles, Eddie Lacy and Aaron Rodgers as the core of your team, for the price tag of a 1st and 2nd round pick.  Do you want to face that?  For that matter, let's say you get lucky enough to land those three guys in your current draft.  Bison is suggesting three keepers.  Do you want to go into every year knowing you have to face down that trio?

By making each keeper a little more expensive to own year after year, the cost/benefit of keeping them becomes a little harder to justify.  Although, I would suggest that any one you drafted in the first round automatically be returned to the pool of available talent.  If each keeper is going to cost one round higher than the previous years spot they were picked in, I contend that there is nothing higher than a 1st round pick, so, back they go.  This way, everyone gets a shot at owning Adrian Peterson, or Megatron, or Beast Mode, etc.

Bison

Quote from: MetalDog on July 18, 2014, 06:08:24 AM
Quote from: Bison on July 18, 2014, 05:11:19 AM

So, you won't be able to keep your first AND second round picks?

No.  It'd be means to force talent back into the draft, but reward picking a future/unexpected talent in later rounds.

Bison

Sorry I didn't read your last post MD, but you have the right of it.  I think that points wise 1st and 2nd round picks are generally a wash, but points production falls off after that because you begin to draft for roster position not the best available.  I'm not opposed to first rounders going automatically back into the draft, but there is some choices to make if you can only keep your first or second rounder.  Also if you finished last in the league last year, that means you own the first pick of the draft.  So do you want to give that up to keep a player?  It's the call of the GM and brings some long term strategy into the draft.