Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 13, 2021, 06:40:06 PM

Wait until you nail an AAR. That is something that realistically can only be accomplished with a "real" stick and throttle.

Yeah, that's my next big one.

I mean, I've watched Cap from the Reapers (I know they have a mixed rep but I like their videos) do it with an X-56.  I never could.  Absolutely going to give it a try, maybe tonight.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Meh. i like the Reapers too. I'll never understand all the vitriol they get. I suppose people get annoyed that they just like to have fun and don't feel the need to play real fighter pilot every time they run a cold start.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 15, 2021, 04:28:16 PM
Meh. i like the Reapers too. I'll never understand all the vitriol they get. I suppose people get annoyed that they just like to have fun and don't feel the need to play real fighter pilot every time they run a cold start.

I like them too.  I saw a few long angry videos breaking down their issues.  I think it all really comes down to misunderstanding, but whatever.  Only said the caveat because I know people have a lot of issues with them.

I find them fun and Cap's button assignment videos were invaluable to me setting up my X-56 and now translating it to my Mongoose.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 15, 2021, 06:30:42 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 15, 2021, 04:28:16 PM

I like them too.  I saw a few long angry videos breaking down their issues.  I think it all really comes down to misunderstanding, but whatever.  Only said the caveat because I know people have a lot of issues with them.

I find them fun and Cap's button assignment videos were invaluable to me setting up my X-56 and now translating it to my Mongoose.

I tend to like them because I can watch a six to ten minute video and learn the basics for pretty much any operation. Sure they leave out non-essential tasks and information and sometimes don't know the purpose behind every function, but for a primer on cold start, navigation, radios, all kinds of weapons employment and sensors, I usually look to the reapers. When I have more time or want more in depth treatment, I look elsewhere.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 15, 2021, 09:00:28 PM

I tend to like them because I can watch a six to ten minute video and learn the basics for pretty much any operation. Sure they leave out non-essential tasks and information and sometimes don't know the purpose behind every function, but for a primer on cold start, navigation, radios, all kinds of weapons employment and sensors, I usually look to the reapers. When I have more time or want more in depth treatment, I look elsewhere.

My thoughts exactly.  They're a great go to on setting up initial mapping.  I will typically go to Chucks Guides for the rest. 

I really enjoy watching Growling Sidewinder and Spudknocker as well.  GS's dogfight videos are always entertaining.

Now that my Virpil throttle has shipped...I need to sell my X-56.  Any ideas on where to shop it other than ebay?

I'll dump it on ebay if need be but I would like to find a better marketplace.  It's not bad...I've mentioned I've seen other online pilots be really good with it.  it's just not for me. 

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 16, 2021, 03:32:39 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 15, 2021, 09:00:28 PM

My thoughts exactly.  They're a great go to on setting up initial mapping.  I will typically go to Chucks Guides for the rest. 

I really enjoy watching Growling Sidewinder and Spudknocker as well.  GS's dogfight videos are always entertaining.

Now that my Virpil throttle has shipped...I need to sell my X-56.  Any ideas on where to shop it other than ebay?

I'll dump it on ebay if need be but I would like to find a better marketplace.  It's not bad...I've mentioned I've seen other online pilots be really good with it.  it's just not for me.

DCS forum? DCS facebook group? It is a very active group...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 16, 2021, 05:35:49 PM
]

DCS forum? DCS facebook group? It is a very active group...

I'll drop it there if my local friends group doesn't bite.

trek

Just downloaded the Mossie from Steam, setup my stick and did a tour along the UK channel coast with a squadron of my fellow Mossies! Beautiful! She's everything I was hoping for!

Redwolf

Quote from: trek on September 17, 2021, 12:32:34 PM
Just downloaded the Mossie from Steam, setup my stick and did a tour along the UK channel coast with a squadron of my fellow Mossies! Beautiful! She's everything I was hoping for!

* Redwolf looking frantically for my credit card

Jarhead0331

Good lord. This is awesome.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

These short teasers kill me.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

SirAndrewD

Well, the Virpil throttle is go!

Very nice piece of kit.  There are....almost too many buttons.  Hats everywhere, two way, four way...sticks...switches...man.

The action on the throttle is clean.  The initial detents were a bit hard so I swapped out for a softer set.  There's a lever to clear the detents but my hand is too small to really comfortably reach it.

The flaps lever needs programming.  Not really recognized easily.  I'm probably going to use it more for gear.

Overall, excellent.  Nice action, extremely good weight.  More buttons than are even practical, I literally discovered one I didn't know was there before I wrote this. 

Oh...and EXTREMELY smooth switch from single to dual throttle.  The swap on that is clean and quick.  Way better than the X-56.

It's a totally solid upgrade.  It's not as much of a game changer as the Mongoose or Crosswinds, but I will say it's something I'd recommend if you want an upgrade to the highest level available. 

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Well...I did it, and I'm not even sure why. I've been working my ass off and doing pretty well. Guess I just wanted something to show for it, rather than just paying my quarterly tax bill.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Skoop

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 23, 2021, 10:49:21 AM
These short teasers kill me.

I have a feeling this is releasing sooner than expected.