Main Menu

To Sol a FRIDAY!

Started by al_infierno, February 19, 2021, 01:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Getting the weekend started a bit early.  Valheim has been devouring my life lately.  I maintain that this is the best survival game to date.  It rejects tedious survival mechanics like requiring you to eat to stay alive, and spending valuable resources to repair existing structures.  Instead, eating food give you bonuses rather than preventing maluses and death, and repairing structures simply costs a chunk of stamina.  The devs mentioned that their design philosophy is more informed by the likes of Breath of the Wild and Dark Souls than contemporary survival games, and it shows - yet it's still an extraordinary survival game!

When I'm not buildin-n-craftin, I'll be slogging away in Field of Glory: Medieval and getting eaten alive repeatedly in Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead.

OK, OK, trust me...  Once the singing kick in, even the non-metal guys can dig this.  :coolsmiley:  This is some modern Epic Doom metal in the vein of Black Sabbath and Candlemass.  The medieval Britain aesthetic is icing on the cake for a wargaming Anglophile nerd like myself.  They released a compilation recently and the artwork is absolutely awesome.  Makes me wanna fire up some FoG:M!

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

devoncop

Just about resisting the Valheim hype train that is squishing all before it ....

After completing my first ever Spiderweb game in Avernum Escape From the Pit.....really enjoyed its 80 hour journey....I am now engrossed in Star Traders Frontiers.

I bought this a year ago but refunded it immediately  as there is no real tutorial  and the UI is quite individual. I then watched a couple of You Tube Let's Plays and we bought it and am totally hooked. Infinite replayability, faction politics, which can be engaged with or ignored and multiple very different play styles and thousands of ship combinations if you take into account all the upgrades.

40 hours and counting on my second run (as a Pirate) after my first as a smuggler came to grief when I was overthrown in a crew revolt. This run is much more combat focused in both ship to ship and boarding fights.

Great stuff.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Destraex

Tried Rome2 and Attila Total War on the rig with new components. Still looks and plays like crap. Not to mention the men seem to run around at the speed of horses and the formations and general movement mechanics just look wierd. So I officially give up on total war again for the foreseeable future. I think I just hate the total war engine used currently in general. To me you may as well be playing scourge of war waterloo. Things don't draw until you are right on top of them and I definitely have the horsepower and played with the graphics settings. I even tried the 1212 mod for Attila, the game looks great zoomed in and static, but that's about it.
I will play some Steel Division 2 no doubt and am hoping to get some Star Citizen into the bag. Although after the xeno threat finished I am a little less keen on star citizen until the march 3.13 patch comes out.

Perhaps I will roll out some il2 Tank Crew as well.

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Dammit Carl!

Been slowly acquiring bits to put on the home computer, so now with more RAM and a new GPU installed, I put The Division 2 back into rotation (could make it work before, but it just wasn't "good," if you know what I mean), so now it's time to rack up a stupid huge body count in D.C. and later back to NYC!  Wheee!

See you in the field, agents!

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on February 19, 2021, 08:02:36 AM
Tried Rome2 and Attila Total War on the rig with new components. Still looks and plays like crap. Not to mention the men seem to run around at the speed of horses and the formations and general movement mechanics just look wierd. So I officially give up on total war again for the foreseeable future. I think I just hate the total war engine used currently in general. To me you may as well be playing scourge of war waterloo. Things don't draw until you are right on top of them and I definitely have the horsepower and played with the graphics settings. I even tried the 1212 mod for Attila, the game looks great zoomed in and static, but that's about it.
I will play some Steel Division 2 no doubt and am hoping to get some Star Citizen into the bag. Although after the xeno threat finished I am a little less keen on star citizen until the march 3.13 patch comes out.

Perhaps I will roll out some il2 Tank Crew as well.

I'm getting a sort of upgraded machine soon for my son...maybe I'll borrow some time on it and see how Rome2: Total War runs on that.

PLUS!  The usual: War on the Sea, HLL and boardgames.

Jarhead0331

Nanny called out today and wife is on ANOTHER 24-hour shift tomorrow. That means no weekend for me. Maybe some late night gaming once kids are asleep, but by then I'm so frustrated and exhausted that I'll probably end up just watching youtube videos.

Everybody else - enjoy.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Good luck JH.

Played through early access King Arthur Knight's Tale this week and tried to get into Northgard. I like Northgard well enough, but I think city builder style games just stress me out more than anything. It's me, not the genre.

I'm also in the middle of an Age of Empires II - Definitive Edition viking game, beating down the Celts and the Britons, so Al's track choice above is apt :)

Also hope to play some Field of Glory II - Medieval this weekend and finally begin my Thrones of Britannia campaign as a Welsh faction.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SlagDog

There are sooo many games I want to get to but recently I've been way into Skyrim again. I'm trying to play through all of the amazing dungeon mods that add so much to the game.

I was going to also try to delve into the Combat Mission WWII series for the first time ever. 

And continue my Planetfall campaign.

But then I watched Nookrium play Xenonauts II and I so I loaded up Xenonauts up to play as well - Argh! so much to do and so little Weekend!!!   ;)

Sir Slash

^ What he said! If I tell you I am going to play anything this weekend, the roof will fall-in or something and I won't get to play at all. So I'm not going to claim I'll play anything. That way if I slip, quietly...over to the game... Oh, Wait, shit I hear the roof creaking.  :pullhair:  Have a great weekend Grogs.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Toonces

What dungeon mods for Skyrim are you playing, Slagdog?

I've been digging into WitP:AE again after being repeatedly frustrated by other WW2 carrier games.

I'll probably boot up Cold Waters at some point as well.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

W8taminute

I'm gonna play me some War on the Sea, Field of Glory: Empire PBEM, and Heroes & Generals

I've also had an itch to play an oldie but goodie (at least to me anyway) called Star Wars: Rebellion (Supremacy in the U.K.)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Jarhead0331

Quote from: W8taminute on February 19, 2021, 03:52:48 PM

I've also had an itch to play an oldie but goodie (at least to me anyway) called Star Wars: Rebellion (Supremacy in the U.K.)

Fantastic game. Always on my hard drive. One of the first games I played multiplayer. I remember I used to play it with this dork in college named Kevin. He lived down the hall and I was his RA. I would always be the Empire and he would gladly play the rebellion. He would most usually start kicking my ass and I'd suddenly start having "computer trouble". God damn, I'd get so mad!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Yes I need to know what mods SlagDog is using. His post also jarred my memory - I've installed Enderal: Forgotten Stories, the uber-mod for Skyrim and will be firing that up soon-ish as well.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

nelmsm

Looks like I'll be spending my Saturday digging up the  two waterlines to my outdoor faucets. Victim of the Texas chill.  Maybe get to catch up on PBEMs on Sunday

Myrmidon

In between Dominions 5 rounds, will be cracking open the new Imperator Rome update and DLC.  The improvements to the UI look great, and the updates have gotten some positive feedback, and sound like they'll be adding some fun to the game.

Quote from: nelmsm on February 19, 2021, 08:21:32 PM
Looks like I'll be spending my Saturday digging up the  two waterlines to my outdoor faucets. Victim of the Texas chill.  Maybe get to catch up on PBEMs on Sunday

As a plumbing contractor here in NC, my mouth has been agape at all the plumbing destruction photos I've seen coming out of Texas.  Absolutely unreal what you all have had to deal with over there!  (PS, if you're replacing the lines, go PEX-A!)