Main Menu

2016 Baseball Thread

Started by Bison, January 06, 2016, 11:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:  Pete Rose goes in the Hall of Fame the day after he dies.  He gets in; he doesn't get to enjoy a single day of it.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Marty Ward

You are probably right. As far as I know he didn't gamble when he was a player which makes it even sadder.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

Bison

Then we should never see anyone implicated in the steroid period of baseball ever in the HoF.  I don't think that will happen.  Some will certainly be elected and thier illegal decisions directly impacted the outcome of games, if not entire seasons. 

Marty Ward

Quote from: Bison on January 26, 2016, 05:16:31 PM
Then we should never see anyone implicated in the steroid period of baseball ever in the HoF.  I don't think that will happen.  Some will certainly be elected and thier illegal decisions directly impacted the outcome of games, if not entire seasons.

It wouldn't bother me if they added a steroid wing to put Bonds, McGuire, Sosa and others into. I feel a little bad for Rose because it appears he did the illegal stuff after he stopped playing.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

MetalDog

Gambling, like most vices, is not something you just pick up in the middle of your life.  I'm not saying it's impossible, but, the vast majority of people come to their addictions early.  The steroid abusers should certainly be in the Hall.  In their own wing.  With that information prominently displayed over the door way to that wing and on each plaque in that wing.  It should be allowed with the stipulation that each player that used steroids confess their use so we can have an idea of how prevalent it was and be able to judge the period of their use appropriately.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

Honestly, I'm of a similar mind to the steroid guys (put them in after they're dead), but no one did steroids thinking "hey, if I do these and we lose, I've got a killer payday coming".  No one did steroids to shave points or change batting averages or in any way reduce their performance for the financial benefits of gamblers.  At least the steroid guys were trying to win.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

MetalDog

Hal and Hank gave Cashman his marching orders a year or two ago: build from within and be fiscally responsible.  As a Yankee fan, I was hoping that was the case long before Tex and A-Rod and McCann and on and on.  Now, it looks like it will be s.o.p.  Good.  I will deal with a couple of years of no playoffs in order to build a homegrown, fiscally responsible juggernaut.

MetalDog

Pitchers and catchers report in 12 days!!

Bison

It's getting so close.  if the mlb network didn't block royals games I subscribe.

Hot lead and dirty talk!

5 more days until Pitchers and Catchers are reporting!

Which brings up a question,

Was Aquaman a Pitcher or a Catcher?

On a serious note, do the Yankees (im not a Yankee fan, but I did love Donnie Baseball) possibly have the best bullpen EVER assembled? Chapman, Miller and Betances.
Jesus saves! But Gretzky scores on the rebound!

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Hot lead and dirty talk! on February 13, 2016, 05:53:40 AMChapman, Miller and Betances.
Early 2000's Astros had Wagner, Dotel and Lidge.  If they got a lead into the 6th inning, you were going to see 3 straight innings of closers after that.

MetalDog

Bison

The Royals just won the Series with the best bullpen. :)  And I think it's so cute that Cashman and the little girly pinstripe nation are trying to imitate that success. 

I think some would argue that the 1990's Reds were one of the best bullpens ever.

MetalDog

Charlton and Dibble?  P'shaw!  It's not going to do the Yankees any good to have that trio this year.  Who the hell is going to hit for them?!