Civilization VI!!?!

Started by Jarhead0331, May 11, 2016, 10:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

^No it's carrying everything over. Sorry.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

$80 CDN!!!! $105 fer the deluxe!!!!!!!!!!  :o Might have to wait fer sales myself.....  :(

Or maybe start saving my pennies now for Oct......  :P

OJsDad

Except that HOI4 will be out next month.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Boggit

I wonder what, if anything, will be added substantively to the game? I have had all the Civ games from 1-5, and frankly each iteration hits the diminishing marginal return for me.

Civ6 had better have something really new and cool to justify the cost, otherwise what is it - a revisited reskin? Fingers crossed.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

bayonetbrant

The thing I really want to see is the emergence of new civilizations that don't necessarily start at the beginning of the game.  In Civ5 terms, I want to see 2-3 nearby city-states cut a deal that unifies them into a new civ that emerges on turn 188 and suddenly there's a new 'big' player in the game with 3 cities and bearing down on another city-state before launching an invasion of your territory, or that takes control of a particular resource because it's all in their territory.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

jamus34

Dynamic world would be good too. Ie volcanos, global warming,  earthquake and draughts changing tiles and landmasses.
Insert witty comment here.

jomni

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 11, 2016, 08:49:55 PM
The thing I really want to see is the emergence of new civilizations that don't necessarily start at the beginning of the game.  In Civ5 terms, I want to see 2-3 nearby city-states cut a deal that unifies them into a new civ that emerges on turn 188 and suddenly there's a new 'big' player in the game with 3 cities and bearing down on another city-state before launching an invasion of your territory, or that takes control of a particular resource because it's all in their territory.

We need a "realm divide" event.

bayonetbrant

they sort of have that in Civ5 with unhappiness causing revolts
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Boggit

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 11, 2016, 08:49:55 PM
That's the sort of thing I'm talking about. A nice idea, and how hard can it be to include that? O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

Quote from: jamus34 on May 11, 2016, 09:05:49 PM
Dynamic world would be good too. Ie volcanos, global warming,  earthquake and draughts changing tiles and landmasses.
It's been a while since I played civ, but doesn't it already have similar features in the various iterations? Plus, IIRC you could set workers on clean up. I agree it's a good thing to include.

jamus34

Quote from: Boggit on May 11, 2016, 10:11:58 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on May 11, 2016, 09:05:49 PM
It's been a while since I played civ, but doesn't it already have similar features in the various iterations? Plus, IIRC you could set workers on clean up. I agree it's a good thing to include.

It might, but I don't think to the degree that I would like, for example a volcano will spawn a new island, draught will kill off those fertile lands and create deserts, warming melts ice caps and raises sea level. I think alpha centari had some of that but not certain. Most of the change I remember seeing in 4 is forests of jungles growing when tiles are left alone.
Insert witty comment here.

bayonetbrant

Civ II had some of the features Boggit described.  Too many factories would create a global warming situation that would cause sea levels to rise and flood the coasts and create more swamps along waterfronts.  It would also occasionally spawn volcanoes in the mountains.

Civ III had volcanoes, too

bayonetbrant

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05/11/three-ways-sid-meiers-civilization-6-radically-reinvents-itself-city-building-science-and-diplomacy

QuoteNotably, this is the first Civ game since Civilization 4 in 2004 to launch with a completely new game engine
The author makes it sound like there's been 11 other versions of Civ since Civ4.

QuoteThe first is what he calls "Unstacking the cities," a reference to the way Civilization 5 flattened out the "Stack of Doom" armies that ruled Civilization 1 through 4 and limited each tile to having just one military unit on it at a time. "All of the sudden the military side of the game got much more interesting," he observes. "There's all sort of tactical complexity that was unlocked by putting the units out on the map." So for Civilization 6 Beach's team has applied the same concept to cities, which in all previous games have always existed on a single tile, cramming every building into that space.

Instead, Firaxis has created the concept of 12 different types of color-coded Districts (five or six of which will be available from the beginning) that exist on their own tiles on the map, outside the city center and will house specific building types. "A science district, which we've called a campus, once constructed will allow you to put a library and a university and a research lab out on that tile. And now your city is sort of specialized toward being a really good science city," says Beach.

Of course, the number of Districts a city can support is limited by its population, which will force you to choose which areas each city should specialize in early on, and provide yet another strong incentive to expand your empire early. And those choices will be heavily influenced by the terrain you start on, says Lead Producer Dennis Shirk. "Right out of the gate you're going to get adjacency bonuses of science by putting a Campus next to mountains or jungle. If you put down a holy site you're going to want it next to woods to get the bonus there. If you're on the coast, obviously you're going to want to build a harbor. But these take up tiles, so eventually you also have to think about feeding your people. You have to make sure you can still build farms and mines, and wonders take up whole tiles as well. You can't have everything everywhere."

"Every city is a handcrafted, hex-by-hex layout puzzle," adds Beach, pointing out that you'll have to go back and reevaluate your land use choices in the late game when new options become available.

this is going to be interesting - I'm curious if they're expanding the size of the maps to account for the greater sprawl of the city

Barthheart

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 12, 2016, 05:36:57 AM
this is going to be interesting - I'm curious if they're expanding the size of the maps to account for the greater sprawl of the city

This was the first thing I thought of as well... "That's going to totally screw with the scale of the maps!"
But the more I think about it, I don't think it will change much except the look of the maps. It sounds like they are just specializing the area around a city hex. So instead building stuff outside the city that is in it's influence rings, like farms and market etc., now you build stuff that was normally contained in the city on these hexes.

So you'll get macro-looking cities and the rest of the country side will wild. But if 2 cities are close enough, you now get continuous urban landscape.

So far the art, it looks cartoony like Civ Rev, and this new city thing are not promising... to me. If the diplomacy, warfare, and research are interesting then I'll be more will to give it a go.

jomni

The trailer in my steam Store page is in Chinese (actually just the subtitle and release date text).