Civilization VI!!?!

Started by Jarhead0331, May 11, 2016, 10:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 11, 2016, 08:49:55 PM
The thing I really want to see is the emergence of new civilizations that don't necessarily start at the beginning of the game.  In Civ5 terms, I want to see 2-3 nearby city-states cut a deal that unifies them into a new civ that emerges on turn 188 and suddenly there's a new 'big' player in the game with 3 cities and bearing down on another city-state before launching an invasion of your territory, or that takes control of a particular resource because it's all in their territory.

The Rhyes and Fall mod for Civ4 did a good job of what you are describing. I highly recommend it if you haven't tried it.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Anguille

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 12, 2016, 08:49:57 AM
Yeah, but I hate Civ 4
Why?

I am not a big fan of the graphics but i kinda like it.

glen55

Quote from: Gusington on May 11, 2016, 06:32:20 PM
The first Civ I played was Civ II on the original PlayStation and I fell in love with that game.

Oh god, I remember standing in the software store at the local mall drooling over a pre-release box of the original Civ.  I'm not sure I have ever looked forward to a game so much in my whole life.  And then when I got it, and it was even better than I had imagined.

Civ II may be the best-reviewed one of the bunch, but really it just refined the original formula.  That first one was just so much better - to me - than any other computer game I had played.  I was sooooo  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

Count me in on that.  And I kind of liked IV.  I still play it occasionally.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

jamus34

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 12, 2016, 05:28:25 AM
Civ II had some of the features Boggit described.  Too many factories would create a global warming situation that would cause sea levels to rise and flood the coasts and create more swamps along waterfronts.  It would also occasionally spawn volcanoes in the mountains.

Civ III had volcanoes, too

I missed the Civ 2 wagon and didn't get three until very recently (like last year recently) so I have not put much time into it.

Sad to see features get removed from such a series.

I'll have to take a closer look at 3 sometime methinks.
Insert witty comment here.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Civ II was the pinnacle for me.  I thought it refined and improved the original (and had sweet FMV!  I loved the DaVinci one) in every way.  I barely remember anything about Civ III other than that I didn't like it.  I really didn't like Civ IV much at all and the childish graphics made it worse IMO.  I like Civ V a lot (I didn't really start playing it until after a lot of the DLC came out though)  I'm hoping for more and better from Civ VI.

glen55

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 12, 2016, 10:23:57 PM
Civ II was the pinnacle for me.  I thought it refined and improved the original (and had sweet FMV!  I loved the DaVinci one) in every way.  I barely remember anything about Civ III other than that I didn't like it.  I really didn't like Civ IV much at all and the childish graphics made it worse IMO.  I like Civ V a lot (I didn't really start playing it until after a lot of the DLC came out though)  I'm hoping for more and better from Civ VI.

I've really liked them all, but I probably played Civ II the most, for whatever reason.  Civ III had some slowdown problems in the late game.  I'm not tempted to play any old ones with Civ V out.  I still crank 'er up from time to time despite being overwhelmed by newer games.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Anguille

CIV III is the one i prefer for early game...

Freyland

Quote from: Anguille on May 13, 2016, 02:40:37 AM

Then you would love my Civilizations mod!  It lets you start the game with Civ III, uses Civ IV for the mid-game, then Civ V for the late game, then finally transitions over to Armageddon Empires after Ghandi inevitably nukes everyone.

solops

Civ5 was such utter crap that there is no way I'll pay a nickel for Civ6,7, or 8 until they are out, patched and reviewed thoroughly. I wasted more money on Civ5 and all of its DLC for less gameplay than anything else I own. I kept thinking, "OK, this next DLC will make it fun..."

What a fool I was. Not this time. Modded Civ4 is still the best of the lot.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Anguille

Quote from: Freyland on May 13, 2016, 09:35:04 AM
Quote from: Anguille on May 13, 2016, 02:40:37 AM

Then you would love my Civilizations mod!  It lets you start the game with Civ III, uses Civ IV for the mid-game, then Civ V for the late game, then finally transitions over to Armageddon Empires after Ghandi inevitably nukes everyone.
Interesting....

FlickJax

I have had them all, and I say there is nothing wrong with a modded Civ V at all.

RedArgo