Civilization VI!!?!

Started by Jarhead0331, May 11, 2016, 10:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghostryder

personally I think both civ5 and civ Beyond Earth are terrible games. An A.I. that cannot follow it's own combined arms rules---or in other words it cannot do just that--which makes the A.I. unable to beat the player in a conquest game. Sure-with cheats it can pull off a science victory or whatnot but that isn't representative of A.I. either.

Say what you want about stacks of doom--but in the civ series it was the way that allowed their A.I. to challenge you--as neat as hexes and combined arms seems to a wargamer it's rather pointless in game if the A.I. cannot manage it----and playing a game you can't lose is equally pointless.

Not to mention everything has been shaved down to "+1" or "+2"---instead of say "religous fanatics vs Tree huggers"---since they all but removed both -- which makes both games up for example lifeless and hollow.

And after the rather disappointing XCOM2----and that lazy design and bad A.I.--there would need to be across the board raving reviews for me to bite--

Grim.Reaper

We'll see how my experiment goes.....there must be something to like about this game since so many people appear to play it:)

Barthheart

Freyland

Disappointing XCOM2?  Holy shit, what have I been doing wasting 100's of gaming hours on it!?  Especially since I couldn't set it down for Polaris Sector, Stellaris and TW:Warhammer, all releases I was excited for.  Sounds like, once again, I am an outlier to the mainstream of society. 

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Freyland on May 31, 2016, 08:10:44 AMSounds like, once again, I am an outlier to the mainstream of society. 

Pretty sure you aren't the outlier.  Seriously - how many complaints about XCOM2 did you see over the past 18 months?

It won the Digital Action Game in our last Readers' Choice Awards, and placed 3rd as the overall digital game.  I don't want to derail a Civ thread with an XCOM discussion, but the fact that one loud voice doesn't like it doesn't put you in a minority for disagreeing.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Greybriar

Here is a list of notable new or changed features
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Freyland

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 31, 2016, 08:17:57 AM
Quote from: Freyland on May 31, 2016, 08:10:44 AMSounds like, once again, I am an outlier to the mainstream of society. 

Pretty sure you aren't the outlier.  Seriously - how many complaints about XCOM2 did you see over the past 18 months?

It won the Digital Action Game in our last Readers' Choice Awards, and placed 3rd as the overall digital game.  I don't want to derail a Civ thread with an XCOM discussion, but the fact that one loud voice doesn't like it doesn't put you in a minority for disagreeing.

My apologies, Good Sir... I made my sarcasm a bit too dry it seems. 

[this line edited due to me being inappropriate and rude]

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Freyland on May 31, 2016, 10:43:44 AMMy apologies, Good Sir... I made my sarcasm a bit too dry it seems. 

sorry - I've been wanting to get the sarcasm font installed for a while now.  Clearly it's worked sooooooo well ;)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

ghostryder

I pointed out quite in depth my reasons for that opinion on XCOM 2 in the xcom2 thread on this board--just go read it. Everything is spelled out quite clearly--including the press's ability to blindly ignore things and give unwarranted and undeserved high scores--but to not highjake THIS thread take it over to that one please.

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=16057.msg431422#msg431422

Freyland

Oh, phew!  It is an opinion now.  I feel much better about myself.  You tend to state those opinions as facts, and I get confused.  Do carry on.

Huw the Poo

Jeez...I had to check I wasn't on QT3 for a minute there.  ::)

glen55

Hey, no doubt ghostryder can be rather impressed with his own opinion, but it's also true that there's always a solid basis for it and he  doesn't deliver it until he knows a game well enough to comment helpfully.  Read a few of his reviews and his biases are easy to spot: just adjust for those, and you're left with something pretty valuable.

IMHO.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Greybriar

No matter how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Gusington

Greybriar will you just stop it with the level-headed reasoning and logic? Jeez.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ghostryder

lol. It is funny how a game ---an invention that is supposed to be entertainment- can divide people so much a war of words can follow as if someone just invaded an innocent nation. I think mainly that is because nowadays most of us are playing alone--using an anon tech to communicate ---when I grew up--before their was even pong--you game'd around a table face to face...and things got deep when you discovered their was more out there than risk and monopoly---two great games BTW that strangly do not have a good computer version.

It's this very anon forum that spews unwarranted views of people--it's always shocking to actually meet people behind the screen in RL and see how much off they really are to preconceived notions formed due to bad sentence structure or whatnot--I write about games but because I'm not stephen King and horrible at writing this is common--until you meet me  :uglystupid2: