Civilization VI!!?!

Started by Jarhead0331, May 11, 2016, 10:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

Quote from: steve58 on October 20, 2016, 06:14:06 PM
gonna wait for a sale, gonna wait for a sale, gonna wait for a sale, gonna wait for a sale :-\

Without PBEM I'll find it a lot easier to wait.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

glen55

Quote from: tgb on October 20, 2016, 06:21:52 PM
This may or may not be news, but the manual is up.

165 pages, so it's pretty old school, although I would like to see a chapter for Civ vets that just details the changes.

I hope to God there's a tutorial for veterans. The early review I read on IGN said it's different enough that veterans can't just dive right in (like I did for 2, 3, 4 and 5). I don't know if I can stay awake through a slow-paced tutorial covering tried-and-true Civ basics.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

bbmike

Just jump in and play. I still remember one of my first Civ 1 games. I was all proud of my brand new catapults until the German tanks landed on my island...
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Freyland

First or second page of the manual has a picture of what I assume is the Chinese leader. He is wearing a hat with dangling beads. I'm sure when animated, it looks like a hat, but in the Still I see nothing else but a rocket launcher. Probably a LRM 20.

jomni

165 pages, so it's pretty old school, although I would like to see a chapter for Civ vets that just details the changes.

Thanks. So finally read about the actual stacking rules.

Basically only one military unit per hex. A support unit and a civilian unit can stack with it.
Once required tech is researched (Nationalism during the industrial era), you can combine units to circumvent the one military unit rule. Sort of.  You combine two similar units into a corps and it gets +10 to combat strength. Then research mobilisation to be able to combine three units.

Once combined it cannot be broken down. The higher stats are preserved when combining so the gamey strategy is to combine raw units to veterans to beef them up.

tgb

Quote from: glen55 on October 20, 2016, 07:20:36 PM

I hope to God there's a tutorial for veterans. The early review I read on IGN said it's different enough that veterans can't just dive right in (like I did for 2, 3, 4 and 5). I don't know if I can stay awake through a slow-paced tutorial covering tried-and-true Civ basics.

From the manual it appears there are two tutorials, so I'm hoping one is basic and the other advanced.

Moreb

I'm not sure I like the new look of things. Much too bright.
When dongles fly? - mirth

tgb

I'm not crazy about the art direction either.  The screen seems a little too busy.  That said, I'm confident the game play will make up for it.

glen55

Quote from: tgb on October 20, 2016, 09:35:06 PM
Quote from: glen55 on October 20, 2016, 07:20:36 PM

From the manual it appears there are two tutorials, so I'm hoping one is basic and the other advanced.

No, it appears that there is only one tutorial, but you can play it as either of two different leaders - IOW, 1 tutorial, 2 skins. And it's insufferably slow and boring if you already know how to play. Some chick yaks for a while, and then she tells you to do 1 thing that you already knew how to do years ago (build a city), then she yaks for a while - basically a commercial for the game, trying to make it all story-like - then tells you 1 more thing (build a warrior). I spent probably a little over 5 minutes in it, saw nothing that I hadn't seen a million times in old Civs, and it didn't seem like I was going to start getting into any depth - if any, ever - for at least 15 or 20 minutes.

For informational purposes, I started over as the other country, played about 2 minutes, and it appeared to be identical except you're another country.

So I'm just considering this as "no tutorial for veterans" and plunging in.

EDIT:  Buuuut . . . When I started the game, I got an advisor, and there were two choices of advisor: "New to Civilization" and "New to Civilization 6." So maybe I spoke too soon.

Hmmm. . . . No tooltips to show the hotkeys for unit actions. I've relied on those tooltips forever, even if it's only to remind me and reaffirm what I already knew. You can look up the hotkeys on the pause menu, but . . . no hotkey for fortify til healed? I'd be an idiot to judge the game at this point, but so far I've seen nothing new in the gameplay or UI and two things missing. There is, to be fair, a mouse button for fortify til healed, but if there's a mouse button, why not a hotkey?

You can't zoom out as far as before, and the F10 hex map seems to be gone. In fact, where are all the info hotkeys? Cities? Please be here somewhere, familiar city comparison table.

I haven't gotten yet to the part that is supposed to transform the game, district designation, and I've gotta work in the morning so it won't be tonight. But so far I've seen a bunch of stuff missing, and almost nothing new. But I'm only an hour or so in, so while this has me going  :-\ it's not soon enough for  :'(
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Arctic Blast

Dived in and bought...installing now. Hopefully I can spend some weekend time playing!  O0

tgb

Played 20 turns as Ghandi on Prince level.  I was going to tackle the tutorial, but so far at least the Civilopedia has been pretty clear on anything I didn't grok, so I probably won't bother. Some brief observations:

1) Barbarians are a lot tougher.  Where before in the early game a warrior could take one out with a couple of shots, here they are considerably less effective.

2) I think I'm going to like the new system of dealing with City-states.

3) Continents are confusing, since they can be on the same land mass (think the Americas).  It took me a while to find the filter that shows them.  Discovering a new continent is important since it leads to a Eureka moment.

4) I've gotten 3 Eureka moments just by blindly stumbling about.  I'm sure in time I'll intuitively know how to get the ones I want.

5) I came across one Goody Hut and was rewarded with an artifact (the Shroud of Turin in 3280 BC - that's a little immersion breaking) that I could hang on the palace wall to generate points towards the cultural and religious victories.

6) The number of pantheons has been considerably reduced.

7) I met Pericles, and early reports are right - the new diplomacy system is a lot more transparent.

Grim.Reaper

I only had a chance to load it once before I had to head to work, couldn't really actually play so looking forward to tonight,  nut one thing I did motoice was that after choosing to start a game, seemed to take minutes to load and I have a reasonable system.  Maybe just a one time thing, but anybody else seeing that?  I'll try more later.

tgb

2 further points from skimming the manual:

pp 98-99 lists all the districts and their optimal placement.  Most are common sense (i.e. industrial district next to a mine or theater district next to a Wonder) so it shouldn't take too long to absorb, but I've got it printed out in the meantime.

I'm not seeing any reference to espionage.  Can someone confirm that it's out (until, I assume, the inevitable DLC)?

tgb

Seems I was wrong about espionage.  It's discussed at length in the Civilopedia.  I guess that means that just because something isn't referenced in a 165 page manual, that doesn't mean it isn't in the game.

I can see I'm going to have to adjust the performance/beauty sliders since my rig is just slightly above the minimum requirements.  30 turns in and turn times are already unreasonably long.

Anguille

I look forward to read what people say about the game but i have to say that i've always been expecting more from Civilization games since Civiliziaton: Call to Power...I still think we could do a lot more with it and they keep making the same game over and over again (with actual ony small changes).

As usual since Civ 3, i think i'll wait until the complete edition comes out (i still have a lot of CIV IV and CIV V to play till then).