Civilization VI!!?!

Started by Jarhead0331, May 11, 2016, 10:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgb

Played another hour of my "learning game" and ran into a few minor things (and one not so minor) that really shouldn't have made it past testing:

1)"Nevermind" is two words, not one.

2) Unless it's buried so deep in the tech tree I couldn't find it, there doesn't seem to be a way to rush production.  Is it in the Civics tree?

3) Depending on your level of zoom, Goody Huts can blend with the ground and be tough to see.  They need to be highlighted more effectively.  I find myself clicking on the notification in order to find them.  And speaking of which -

4) Notifications are persistent from turn to turn unless you rt-click on them.  IIRC, in V they vanished between turns.

5) I'm playing as Peter the Great (Russia) and am cozying up to Gandhi.  I've established my first trade route to Delhi, and sent over a delegation to see if I can get a copy of his recipe for chicken vindaloo.  Shortly thereafter, my trader informs me of a rumor that Russia sent a delegation to Delhi.  No shit, Sherlock.

And finally:

GIVE US A WAY TO TURN DOWN BARBARIAN SPAM!!!!!!!

bbmike

Quote from: tgb on October 21, 2016, 10:09:38 AM
2) Unless it's buried so deep in the tech tree I couldn't find it, there doesn't seem to be a way to rush production.  Is it in the Civics tree?
I haven't found it yet either
5) I'm playing as Peter the Great (Russia) and am cozying up to Gandhi.  I've established my first trade route to Delhi, and sent over a delegation to see if I can get a copy of his recipe for chicken vindaloo.  Shortly thereafter, my trader informs me of a rumor that Russia sent a delegation to Delhi.  No shit, Sherlock.
That happened to me also. I think that's a bug.

I'm 147 turns in my first game and can't stop. It has that 'one more turn' feeling on steroids right now. I'm loving what I see so far.  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

acctingman

You guys are making me want to buy this instead of Civ5  >:( (wanted 5 so I could play the Middle Earth mod)

solops

Quote from: jomni on October 20, 2016, 08:14:50 PM
Quote from: tgb on October 20, 2016, 06:21:52 PM
This may or may not be news, but the manual is up.

165 pages, so it's pretty old school, although I would like to see a chapter for Civ vets that just details the changes.

Thanks. So finally read about the actual stacking rules.

Basically only one military unit per hex. A support unit and a civilian unit can stack with it.
Once required tech is researched (Nationalism during the industrial era), you can combine units to circumvent the one military unit rule. Sort of.  You combine two similar units into a corps and it gets +10 to combat strength. Then research mobilisation to be able to combine three units.

Once combined it cannot be broken down. The higher stats are preserved when combining so the gamey strategy is to combine raw units to veterans to beef them up.
Thanks so much. This is what I have been waiting to hear. I guess that it is better than I had feared and much less than I had hoped for....which leaves me in limbo as to buying. At the current price point (plus Stellaris and TW Warhammer updates) I think I'll wait. Tell me, what kind of "support units" are available for attachment?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Apocalypse 31

So far I'm not seeing that many comments that make CIV 6 seem distinguishable from CIV 5.

Thoughts? Worth getting?

tgb

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on October 21, 2016, 12:02:15 PM
So far I'm not seeing that many comments that make CIV 6 seem distinguishable from CIV 5.

I don't know what comments you're seeing  :).  Without going into detail, here's a list of everything that's either been completely redone or tweaked from Civ V (not including graphics, because who cares?)

City development - completely redone
Diplomacy - completely redone
City-states - completely redone
Tech tree - split into 2 trees - hard science and civics
Great Leaders - completely redone
Religion - tweaked
Espionage - tweaked
Combat - tweaked
Victory conditions - tweaked (diplomatic victory dropped, replaced by religious victory)
Wonders - tweaked

And that's just off the top of my head.  There are plenty of videos on Youtube documenting the changes, plus I posted a link to the manual somewhere upthread.

To answer your second question, definitely worth it. This is the deepest Civ we've seen since perhaps I or II

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

tgb

I forgot to mention two great additions - Boosts, which give you half the research you need for a particular tech when certain events occur (i.e. the first time you meet an AI controlled civ you get half the beakers filled in for Writing) and map pins.

DennisS

Quote from: tgb on October 21, 2016, 01:54:25 PM
I forgot to mention two great additions - Boosts, which give you half the research you need for a particular tech when certain events occur (i.e. the first time you meet an AI controlled civ you get half the beakers filled in for Writing) and map pins.

I saw a let's play on YT where Quill18 used pins to great effect..identifying potential city founding sites. As more terrain was uncovered, he tweaked their positions, and then prioritized them. Interesting concept here..but one I believe was in previous Civ games.

I purchased the game, have the Aztec civ as a bonus, and completed the tutorial. Having watched perhaps 30 hours of let's plays, I am pretty comfortable with the game mechanics. One thing I did want to mention is the importance of city states. Rather than being their bestie, you can send envoys to each type of city state, and gain a bonus from them. Also...if they are suzerain, you can levy their entire army to fight for you! Good stuff!

W8taminute

So give me your honest opinions those of you who have the game...

Forget for a moment that Civ6 is still nice, new, and shiny, can you see yourself still playing this game 6 months from now?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Grim.Reaper

It's hard to say because it is still shiny and new today:). Seems like a game like this will take time to make long term decisions.

glen55

Quote from: W8taminute on October 21, 2016, 06:53:25 PM
So give me your honest opinions those of you who have the game...

Forget for a moment that Civ6 is still nice, new, and shiny, can you see yourself still playing this game 6 months from now?

I'm not terribly impressed so far, but I have been playing Civ periodically ever since the first one came out, and that's been 25 years. Don't see that stopping. Whether this is the first one that makes me want to stay with its predecessor has yet to be seen, but I doubt it and I would be quite disappointed. Each version has been definitely a better game than the prior version IMO.

But I know already they stripped a bunch of info feedback that has always been in the game, and I very much dislike that, so it's sure possible that this one will be the exception. Also, I like to play, at least when the game is new to me, in an area where I don't have another player nation and can develop my nation at least a bit before I have to war, but this version seems to stick me very close to another player every time, even when I'm playing with a huge map and only 2 or 3 competitors (5 tries so far). Does that mean that they are intentionally sticking nations together, or does "huge" map size not mean what it used to?
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

tgb

I started another game, this time as Gandhi, because I wanted to learn the new religious system and work towards the new religious victory condition.

So what happens?  The game puts me in the worst possible position for spreading religion - on an island at the Northernmost part of the map with not another civ or even a city-state to be seen.  Just me and a couple of Barbarian camps. The good news is it gives me an opportunity to get comfortable with the concept of districts and the new city layout system without being bothered by pesky neighbors declaring war every couple of turns.

I'll see how things go now that I've finally discovered Sailing, but I have a feeling this is a non-starter.

Freyland

Quote from: DennisS on October 21, 2016, 06:50:28 PM
Quote from: tgb on October 21, 2016, 01:54:25 PM

I saw a let's play on YT where Quill18 used pins to great effect..identifying potential city founding sites. As more terrain was uncovered, he tweaked their positions, and then prioritized them. Interesting concept here..but one I believe was in previous Civ games.

I purchased the game, have the Aztec civ as a bonus, and completed the tutorial. Having watched perhaps 30 hours of let's plays, I am pretty comfortable with the game mechanics. One thing I did want to mention is the importance of city states. Rather than being their bestie, you can send envoys to each type of city state, and gain a bonus from them. Also...if they are suzerain, you can levy their entire army to fight for you! Good stuff!

Holy shit! If I had already watched 30 hours of other people playing, I would just I had gotten my money's worth and not even ordered the game!

undercovergeek

Came home at 11pm and played it til 230 - now I'm blind and too tired

Loved everything so far, the city states and their missions, the civic cards, builders who build straight away but then disappear, Sean bean, pummelling barbarians and hunting down their camps to stop the spam, the fact that it asked me the time when I booted it up, now the game tracks my time and it's night on the game including cicadas an torches on my cities - all beautifully detailed, going to bed dreaming of killing Kongo