Civilization VI!!?!

Started by Jarhead0331, May 11, 2016, 10:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgb

Anyone thinking that Civ VI is not different enough than V should watch this.  It's a pretty good summary of the differences between the two.

Millipede

I've got an interesting story to tell about my attempted purchase of CIV VI.

About 10 days ago I was searching the web for a discount pre-release price and I came across cjs-cdkeys.com which offered a price of US$ 47.08 and, on the product page it stated,

"Region Free
The game keys we are selling are sourced from the EU. They are completely region free and include all languages. This means that since this is a steamworks game, you can activate the key from anywhere in the world. There are absolutely no region locks."

So I figured, "Great" and placed my order. After placing my order, I tried to claim my promise Steam Key and was informed that the key would be available approximately 24 hours prior to release and that I would be notified when it was available via e-mail.

Well... Thursday morning, less than 13 hours to release, I still hadn't received the promised e-mail so I resorted to sending a message to customer service...

"Roywfw
20 Oct, 16:13 BST
Here we are less than 13 hours from release and I still haven't received an email notifying me of my steam key availability. This is in spite of the account status saying that it's shipped and also there has been no delay in CJS-CD Keys charging my credit card. What's up?"

A few hours later, I received this pleasant and accommodating reply,

"Cecil M. (CJS CD Keys - Support Ticket Center)
20 Oct, 20:29 BST
Sorry you are being delayed. I will chase this order for you and we will update you as soon as possible by email.
Kind Regards,
Cecil M.
CJS CD Keys Support

and a few hours after that I received this e-mail,

"Hi!
Thank you very much for your payment. We are pleased to inform you that your Sid_Meiers_Civilization_VI_STEAM activation key(s) is now ready for collection in the AutoKey System.
Please will go here to collect your key:
http://cjs-cdkeys.com/autokey/index.php

Thanks so much

Tell all of your friends about us!
Enjoy your key
Kind regards
CJS CD Keys Autokey Team
www.CJS-CDkeys.com "

Marvelous! I'm just moments away from setting up my Steam Key so that I can download the game in slightly less than 7 hours. Alright!

Uh... didn't quite work out that way.
After logging on to my Steam account and entering the supplied Steam Key, I got this response from Steam, "Sorry, but the following items are not available for purchase in this country. Your purchase has been cancelled.".

Of course, I immediately fired this off to CJS CD Keys support,

" Roywfw
21 Oct, 00:48 BST
Okay folks... I've got to say that I'm not too impressed with your organization!
On the order page for Civilization VI you can find the following statement...
"Region Free
The game keys we are selling are sourced from the EU. They are completely region free and include all languages. This means that since this is a steamworks game, you can activate the key from anywhere in the world. There are absolutely no region locks."
and yet when I tried to use the Steam Key that you sent me, Steam's response was, "Sorry, but the following items are not available for purchase in this country. Your purchase has been cancelled.". I thought that I'd give you a chance to correct this situation before I took advantage of the opportunity to write a review that you so generously offer (not to mention the various fora that I frequent)."

and receive this reply this morning,

Cecil M. (CJS CD Keys - Support Ticket Center)
21 Oct, 08:33 BST
This issue has been reported. The supplier has been provided the info and asked that the problem be investigated and resolved in the quickest possible time.
Please be patient, we will contact you as soon as the supplier responds, although we may simply refund you. Unfortunately, we cannot replace or refund until the supplier has confirmed the issue.
Please check; we may have already refunded you. PayPal will not allow the refund of all transactions to payment cards and so we may have been forced to refund you to credit.
To see your credit, log on to cjs-cdkeys.com
When you make your next order, simply choose 'store credit' as your payment option.
You may pay in full or part using store credit.
If it is possible to refund you to card then we are happy to do so. First we must wait for the supplier to resolve the issue.
Unfortunately, we will NOT be able to reply to you more than this one time regarding this issue. Please be assured that the matter will be resolved for you. If your order status changes to completed or refunded then you will know it has been finalised. Please pay no attention to this ticket closing automatically, it has no relation to the matter being dealt with.
Kind Regards,
Cecil M.
CJS CD Keys Support"

Seriously??? Stupid me... all this time I thought that they were the supplier... and I only get one response on the subject?

Upon checking my account status, I discovered that it was now marked "refunded" although my credit card account has yet to reflect such and I also noted that "Region free... absolutely no restrictions" has been changed to say that it's only good for Europe.

Needless to say, I won't be using CJS CD Keys for any future purchases and since there are several reputable and reliable options available, I would suggest that you all use suitable caution.

Grim.Reaper

Yes CJS CD Keys is one store I won't use, have heard too many negative stories.  My main places are cdkeys, gamedeal, Kinguin, and Gamesplanet.  Recently I have noticed that a lot of key stores that offer pre orders are more and more EU region locked even if their sites say differently so I have been very cautious in pre ordering from them.  However, I will say that I had a couple of these issues myself from the listed sites, but they immediately refunded my money when I brought the issue to their attention so I did appreciate their support, even if their advertising was at times suspect:)

AchillesLastStand

Quote from: Millipede on October 21, 2016, 11:25:58 PM
I've got an interesting story to tell about my attempted purchase of CIV VI.

About 10 days ago I was searching the web for a discount pre-release price and I came across cjs-cdkeys.com which offered a price of US$ 47.08 and, on the product page it stated,

"Region Free

So I figured, "Great" and placed my order. After placing my order, I tried to claim my promise Steam Key and was informed that the key would be available approximately 24 hours prior to release and that I would be notified when it was available via e-mail.

Well... Thursday morning, less than 13 hours to release, I still hadn't received the promised e-mail so I resorted to sending a message to customer service...

"Roywfw
20 Oct, 16:13 BST
Here we are less than 13 hours from release and I still haven't received an email notifying me of my steam key availability. This is in spite of the account status saying that it's shipped and also there has been no delay in CJS-CD Keys charging my credit card. What's up?"

A few hours later, I received this pleasant and accommodating reply,

"Cecil M. (CJS CD Keys - Support Ticket Center)
20 Oct, 20:29 BST
Sorry you are being delayed. I will chase this order for you and we will update you as soon as possible by email.
Kind Regards,
Cecil M.
CJS CD Keys Support

and a few hours after that I received this e-mail,

"Hi!
Thank you very much for your payment. We are pleased to inform you that your Sid_Meiers_Civilization_VI_STEAM activation key(s) is now ready for collection in the AutoKey System.
Please will go here to collect your key:
http://cjs-cdkeys.com/autokey/index.php

Thanks so much

Tell all of your friends about us!
Enjoy your key
Kind regards
CJS CD Keys Autokey Team
www.CJS-CDkeys.com "

Marvelous! I'm just moments away from setting up my Steam Key so that I can download the game in slightly less than 7 hours. Alright!

Uh... didn't quite work out that way.
After logging on to my Steam account and entering the supplied Steam Key, I got this response from Steam, "Sorry, but the following items are not available for purchase in this country. Your purchase has been cancelled.".

Of course, I immediately fired this off to CJS CD Keys support,

" Roywfw
21 Oct, 00:48 BST
Okay folks... I've got to say that I'm not too impressed with your organization!
On the order page for Civilization VI you can find the following statement...
"Region Free
and yet when I tried to use the Steam Key that you sent me, Steam's response was, "Sorry, but the following items are not available for purchase in this country. Your purchase has been cancelled.". I thought that I'd give you a chance to correct this situation before I took advantage of the opportunity to write a review that you so generously offer (not to mention the various fora that I frequent)."

and receive this reply this morning,

Cecil M. (CJS CD Keys - Support Ticket Center)
21 Oct, 08:33 BST
This issue has been reported. The supplier has been provided the info and asked that the problem be investigated and resolved in the quickest possible time.
Please be patient, we will contact you as soon as the supplier responds, although we may simply refund you. Unfortunately, we cannot replace or refund until the supplier has confirmed the issue.
Please check; we may have already refunded you. PayPal will not allow the refund of all transactions to payment cards and so we may have been forced to refund you to credit.
To see your credit, log on to cjs-cdkeys.com
When you make your next order, simply choose 'store credit' as your payment option.
You may pay in full or part using store credit.
If it is possible to refund you to card then we are happy to do so. First we must wait for the supplier to resolve the issue.
Unfortunately, we will NOT be able to reply to you more than this one time regarding this issue. Please be assured that the matter will be resolved for you. If your order status changes to completed or refunded then you will know it has been finalised. Please pay no attention to this ticket closing automatically, it has no relation to the matter being dealt with.
Kind Regards,
Cecil M.
CJS CD Keys Support"

Seriously??? Stupid me... all this time I thought that they were the supplier... and I only get one response on the subject?

Upon checking my account status, I discovered that it was now marked "refunded" although my credit card account has yet to reflect such and I also noted that "Region free... absolutely no restrictions" has been changed to say that it's only good for Europe.

Needless to say, I won't be using CJS CD Keys for any future purchases and since there are several reputable and reliable options available, I would suggest that you all use suitable caution.

IDK if you have decided to repurchase the game or not but I got it for 9.99 at Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/Meiers-Civilization-Online-Game-Code/dp/B01FG4VF62/ref=sr_1_1_twi_sof_2?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1477123259&sr=1-1&keywords=civilization%2B6&th=1

If you look under special offers you will see that if you apply for and receive a Amazon Visa they will give you a 50$ gift card which you can apply towards the game. That's a sweet offer.

bbmike

Quote from: W8taminute on October 21, 2016, 06:53:25 PM
So give me your honest opinions those of you who have the game...

Forget for a moment that Civ6 is still nice, new, and shiny, can you see yourself still playing this game 6 months from now?

Well, I've been playing Civ since 1991 so...yeah.  ^-^
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

DennisS

Forget for a moment that Civ6 is still nice, new, and shiny, can you see yourself still playing this game 6 months from now?

Absolutely. This is by far the best Civ version to date. It is very deep...much deeper than any other version, with many more and different strategies you can try.

The civics cards alone hugely increase gameplay. In Civ V, if you chose Honor, you went all the way through, then chose another branch. Here, you are free to switch back and forth, as needed. Very cool. Also..if you do have a civic that you use, oftentimes there are "legacy" bonuses...keep a civic long enough, and you KEEP the benefit for the remainder of the game, even after you switch. This can happen more than once.

W8taminute

Quote from: tgb on October 21, 2016, 10:18:19 PM
Anyone thinking that Civ VI is not different enough than V should watch this.  It's a pretty good summary of the differences between the two.

That's a great video and it definitely influenced me.  My verdict is to get the game but I'm waiting for a significant price drop.  Thanks tgb!

Quote from: bbmike on October 22, 2016, 07:22:57 AM

Well, I've been playing Civ since 1991 so...yeah.  ^-^

We must be around the same age then because I've been playing every civ since civ 1 on the original nintendo entertainment system.

To everyone else;  Thanks for the opinions.  Based on your collective input it seems Civ6 is a must have game worth adding to a gaming library.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JudgeDredd

Someone mentioned above about the looooooooooooooong load times - and I confirm that.

I was a bit disappointed the Greeks have the same colour as my nation...makes it a bit awkward looking around the map

As for the game itself, I wasn't a fan of the art when I first saw it, but it's grown on me and I like it a lot. Gameplay seems "familiar" whilst being different. Districts add complexity. IMO Diplomacy seems to work better. Barbarians seem more of a threat (just coming from Civ V they hardly bothered me, allowing me to attack).

I don't know an awful lot about the new mechanics. It took me some time to work out last night how to increase my housing. I researched fishing boats so I could fish. Whilst I read it saying "Cities by the sea", I didn't think it actually meant the actual city had to be by the sea...I thought it was just your border had to be by the sea. So I spent a while trying to work out why I couldn't build fishing boats.

Of course the Civlopedia is fantastic as always.

So, in short, I'm fumbling around but it's bloody good fun.  O0
Alba gu' brath

ghostryder

RPS has a review up-pretty much posative except it mentions the A.I. seems even worse than previous titles.

Imperfect AI is the fly in the ointment, as it is for the vast majority of 4X games. It's a shame that the flaws in that department are so apparent at times because in almost every other regard, this is an innovative and extremely thoughtful take on a series and formula that feel as old as PC gaming itself. Where Civ VI makes changes to that formula, they are improvements across the board, some bolder than others but all vital to the overall structure of a game that understands how to build compelling, overlapping strategic systems.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 22, 2016, 09:19:35 AM
Someone mentioned above about the looooooooooooooong load times - and I confirm that.

That was me....it got a little better after the first load, but still a little longer than I prefer...hopefully with some future optimization it gets better.....long load and AI turn times is one thing that turns me off on games, but will be making exception to learn this one:)

bbmike

Quote from: W8taminute on October 22, 2016, 08:02:33 AM
We must be around the same age then because I've been playing every civ since civ 1 on the original nintendo entertainment system.

How did it play on the Nintendo? Was it the same game as the PC version?  :o
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

MetalDog

I played Civ I on the original PlayStation.  Don't know how it compared to the PC version, but, the PSOne is where I became addicted to Civ ;)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

SirAndrewD

I knew after about four solid hours that Civ V would be my least played Civ game ever, and it was. 

I know after about the same time on Civ VI that it's going to rival Civ II for longevity.   It's almost as good on a first impression as Civ V was disappointing.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JudgeDredd

Not amused...not amused one little bit.

Going along, minding my own business. Investigating. Building. Expanding. Making friends. About 130 turns in and bloody Saladin declares war on me.

Capital surround and within a very short space of time, destroyed (or should I say stolen!) - and all my districts destroyed that they rode through.

As it happens - I was able to build units in my other two cities. One of them was to the south of my capital and was coming under heavy attack and the other was north and not being bothered by enemy units.

In both cities I had a few units and with careful use of movement and attacking from decent terrain, I was able to hold off the attacks on the south. Eventually, I managed to have enough of an advantage to move most of my northern units to the capital and move some of my units from the south up to the capital...and this was the result....

Look at his miserable bloody face. He started it and he's got a face like a smacked arse.  :buck2:

Bearing in mind about 5 turns previous I was looking at making peace where neither side was getting any benefit but peace...I weathered the storm. But I was sweating for a while.

This all occurred over 20 or 30 turns. I had been neglecting my military somewhat, focussing on other more peaceful game due to it being fairly early.

One other thing. As I had gained favour with one of the city states because I had 6 envoys there, they declared war on Saladin also - that's what happens when you have the ear of a city state. Also, I could've "rented" their units for 30 turns for about 300 gold which I was tempted to do...but never did. Before I did get peace with Saladin, I lost the city state's favour because Greece got more envoys in there.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

I seem to have an enormous amount of faith!
Alba gu' brath