Civilization VI!!?!

Started by Jarhead0331, May 11, 2016, 10:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Just curious, did they have a valid reason for declaring war?  Or just did it because....

Jarhead0331

I'm finding the tactical AI to be enjoyable. It seems to know when it is outmatched. It will withdraw units from combat when they take too much damage and try to heal them up before bringing them back to the frontline. It will also seek peace when it becomes clear it can't win.

Anyway, after about 3 hours, I'm having fun and it's definitely just as addictive as every other civ I have ever played. Nothing revolutionary, but another good game by Sid.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bbmike

The religious unit spam in my second game is really annoying. Plus, it seems that once they convert my cities to their religion, there's no way back to mine.  :-[
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Apocalypse 31

Overall there are a two oddities that are killing the experience for me: AI alliance behavior and combat mechanics.

For example: AI 1 and AI 2 are at war. I declare war on AI 2. Both AI 1 and 2 denounce me and label me a warmonger...wtf?

For combat mechanics: I've had attack helicopter's shot down by catapult units. AT Soldier units (2-man bazooka teams) are entirely too poweful and can hold off Infantry and Attack Helicopters.The game needs to do a better job distinguishing unit types. It feels like its just a numbers game right now. Artillery is also underwhelming.

Grim.Reaper

Completed the tutorial...and even in that short time managed to make Cleopatra mad at me and the barbarians were gathering at my gates...would have kept going but realized no way to save within the tutorial so I decided to suck it up and actually start a game.  Tutorial was decent but I am sure it just scratched the surface.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: bbmike on October 22, 2016, 06:11:16 PM
The religious unit spam in my second game is really annoying. Plus, it seems that once they convert my cities to their religion, there's no way back to mine.  :-[

Yeah, it is really annoying.  Telling the spammer to stop converting your cities has absolutely zero effect as well.  They will agree, and then continue to send missionaries anyway. Declaration of War to stop, even after denouncement, just brings massive warmongering penalties from neighbors and chain war declarations.

You can reconvert your cites though, but you must have a great prophet to do so.  Also, after a war declaration, killing the missionaries reduces the influence of their religion in your cities.  Just be prepared to fight a pretty strong coalition of neighbors if you want to go that route.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 22, 2016, 05:23:31 PM
Just curious, did they have a valid reason for declaring war?  Or just did it because....
Nope. It was described as a "Surprise Declaration of War". In fact, I had done more to piss off Greece who didn't go to war with me. I was vying for the plaudits of a City State as was Greece and they kept telling me to leave their cities alone....but of course I didn't because I had already invested 4 envoys.

To be completely honest with you I thought they had just modelled the Middle East faction well  :buck2:
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

:smitten:   :smitten:  Loving this game   :smitten:   :smitten:

Got my capital Paris back, rebuilding (repairing) districts and building Medieval walls for protection. I have an uneasy relationship with Greece (whom I'm trying to buy off) and Saladin is still unfriendly with me...so my guard, which I let down, is up.

I guess I'll have to drop my envoys for the City State otherwise I'm going to be at war with Greece - which I'm just not prepared for I don't think.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

So I timed the load. Actually, it seems I'm just an impatient sod. It takes 1 minute on my SSD drive to load my game. There doesn't appear to me (at least at this point) that there's any increase depending on current content.

What I mean by that is that when I first started my game and I was loading on various occasions with a couple of units and one city it seemed to take just as long as when loading my newest save, where there are a plethora of units on 3 different factions and I have 3 cities with lots of districts.
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 23, 2016, 01:54:24 AM
So I timed the load. Actually, it seems I'm just an impatient sod. It takes 1 minute on my SSD drive to load my game. There doesn't appear to me (at least at this point) that there's any increase depending on current content.

What I mean by that is that when I first started my game and I was loading on various occasions with a couple of units and one city it seemed to take just as long as when loading my newest save, where there are a plethora of units on 3 different factions and I have 3 cities with lots of districts.

I read somewhere that people with load/turn time issues where able to turn off AI movement options and saw a little increase in performance, although not everybody did.  And they seemed to also mention the larger the map you use, the longer the time to load.  I am hopeful that after they fix any glaring bugs, optimization will be next on their list.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 23, 2016, 12:32:09 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 22, 2016, 05:23:31 PM
Nope. It was described as a "Surprise Declaration of War". In fact, I had done more to piss off Greece who didn't go to war with me. I was vying for the plaudits of a City State as was Greece and they kept telling me to leave their cities alone....but of course I didn't because I had already invested 4 envoys.

To be completely honest with you I thought they had just modelled the Middle East faction well  :buck2:

Although I like the element of surprise, I am guessing it can be disheartening when you try and be peaceful building stuff and someone comes knocking at your door...but I guess that is real life too.

JudgeDredd

Real life indeed. It was damned infuriating but also I liked the mechanic...it's opened my eyes and I'll be building up my forces now.  :knuppel2:
Alba gu' brath

tgb

Yiou all do know about Agendas, right?

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: tgb on October 23, 2016, 04:50:51 AM
Yiou all do know about Agendas, right?

Nope, newbie here....do tell.

undercovergeek

I'm playing large map with 7 others and only waiting 15 seconds a turn but I only have 2 cities at the moment

Afaik the agendas are on the diplomacy screen, for instance Phillip of Spain hates people spreading religion on his continent and every ai has a second hidden one but I think it can be picked up on via diplomacy messages - a lets play from quill against Phillip had him receiving messages about how small his empire was and figured the second one was being liking to be the biggest empire on the map - going against the agendas certainly leads to friction and war