Civilization VI!!?!

Started by Jarhead0331, May 11, 2016, 10:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: undercovergeek on October 23, 2016, 05:22:33 AM
I'm playing large map with 7 others and only waiting 15 seconds a turn but I only have 2 cities at the moment

Afaik the agendas are on the diplomacy screen, for instance Phillip of Spain hates people spreading religion on his continent and every ai has a second hidden one but I think it can be picked up on via diplomacy messages - a lets play from quill against Phillip had him receiving messages about how small his empire was and figured the second one was being liking to be the biggest empire on the map - going against the agendas certainly leads to friction and war

Thanks!

JudgeDredd

About Agendas - yes...too late. I went looking as to why he attacked me and found out. I was also getting, what appeared to be, useless messages and so didn't know to pick up on them
Alba gu' brath

tgb

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 23, 2016, 04:55:33 AM
Quote from: tgb on October 23, 2016, 04:50:51 AM
Yiou all do know about Agendas, right?

Nope, newbie here....do tell.

Every leader has two agendas - one open and one secret - that govern their attitudes to you. Cleopatra, for example, likes other civs with a strong military, and will get pissed off if you are weaker. You can see the agendas on the diplomacy screen.  As you have more positive diplomatic relationships with another civ (envoys, trade and the like) eventually you can drill down and find out what the secret agenda is.  Espionage helps also, but you don't get that right away.

Also on the diplomacy screen is a rating that says relationship (or something like that).  It is pretty vague with things like neutral and angry, but if you click on the button you'll see a breakdown, Paradox-style, of everything affecting it.

Hope that helps.

W8taminute

Quote from: bbmike on October 22, 2016, 11:23:40 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on October 22, 2016, 08:02:33 AM
We must be around the same age then because I've been playing every civ since civ 1 on the original nintendo entertainment system.

How did it play on the Nintendo? Was it the same game as the PC version?  :o

Actually it was pretty easy to play.  Navigating the menus and moving units were done all with the D-pad.  Then you'd hit the 'A' button to confirm your orders.  I've never played the PC version so I am not sure how the Nintendo version compares but the game was a rich strategy game so I don't feel the console version was dumbed down.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

W8taminute

I've read some negative Steam reviews complaining about the UI and the lack of easily obtainable information/stats.  Are these complaints valid or just based on not getting over the learning curve?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

acctingman

I take Steam reviews with a HUGE grain of salt, however, me being a Civ NOOB (and hearing nothing but good things about Civ 5) I think I'll try Civ 5.

Played the demo last night and I was very pleased. Think it only made me more resolute about getting Civ5 first.

Great thread....thank you all

Back to Skyrim now  :uglystupid2:

JudgeDredd

Well I was running short of gold and one way to recoup was to lose some military units. I could not find a list of units with details of their upkeep cost and what they would return to my bank should I retire them apart from selecting a unit and then using the bottom control - but that only shows a clickable list to jump to individual units.

That is one thing I needed but couldn't find. I should say I'm specifically not saying it's not in the game, just I couldn't find it.

The other thing was finances - again linked to units. I could see my income and expenditure - but there was nothing on their about units so iirc I couldn't find out how much my units were costing me.

I gotta be honest though - it didn't detract from my huge enjoyment playing the game!
Alba gu' brath

Yooper

I'm hearing a lot of good stuff about the game.

Now I play a bit of Civ5 here and there, is it worth the $60 right now for Civ6 or should I just keep at #5 and wait for it to go on ridiculous Steam sale?
Military Science Fiction Novelist and Grognard.
Weapons Release

W8taminute

Quote from: TitaniumTrout on October 23, 2016, 03:37:06 PM
I'm hearing a lot of good stuff about the game.

Now I play a bit of Civ5 here and there, is it worth the $60 right now for Civ6 or should I just keep at #5 and wait for it to go on ridiculous Steam sale?

That's what I'm trying to ascertain.  Ever since Civ III i've been cautious about buying each new iteration on day one.  I remember too well the frustrations of the out of the box experience until the second patch came out.  I don't want to repeat history but it does sound like based on our community reviews that the out of box experience is fairly pleasing.

JudgeDredd

I can't say whether it's worth £40 or not for anyone.

All I can say is I'm having a blast playing it. It's great fun and similar enough to Civ V to not need a huge amount of reading up and investment in investigation (Civlopedia is fantastic) and different enough to be brilliant fun.

That's all I've got.
Alba gu' brath

tgb

I'll take it a step further and say this may be the best Civ yet.

DennisS

Quote from: tgb on October 23, 2016, 07:09:22 PM
I'll take it a step further and say this may be the best Civ yet.

I agree. Playing my first game, as America, on a huge map and marathon game length. I am 3rd, 5th, 5th, and 6th in rankings amongst all the players..but I am finally getting my production values better.

This ain't no Civ V pushover..this is a challenging game, even on the easier settings. Having said that..I never was a real micro-manager.

JudgeDredd

^ I would agree that this seems more challenging. I've certainly had to deal with Barbarians more than I EVER had to in Civ V, but also other nations trying you out, diplomacy and ways to annoy neighbours - all add to the difficulty.

I would also add to my last statement that I had Civ V since it was launched and apparently played 40 hours and on another website I said I couldn't see me buying this because the Civ games (or the later ones at least) always seemed to be more an exercise in patience as you hit the Next Turn button to get closer to whatever it was you were building.

This does seem to have some purpose. Some of that could obviously be my desire to dig a bit deeper in this title, but then perhaps that's the game making me want to do it where the last one never. I do tend to do a lot more thinking about what I'm building, where that build is taking me, and what I need. Currently, I'm 233 turns in and not anywhere near bored and I've been doing a lot of pontificating.

One example now is that you need to build builders for everything. They "disappear", or at least one of them does (you get 3 in a unit) when you build a farm or improve a plantation or such. So you have to continually build builders - they aren't there for the duration. A great mechanic. At first I was like "WTF did my builders go" and thinking it was a pita - but it adds to the deliberation of what to build because your cities need housing and amenities so you need builders to build farms and improve plantations etc

Everything seems to be much more tied in and more complex for it.

Superb fun. This may well be the Only Civ game I ever complete.
Alba gu' brath

jomni

I'd like to hear about those who hated Civ V due to hexes and no stacking (I'm not one of them). Does Civ VI appeal to you?  The game only allows limited stacking options.

W8taminute

Good stuff JD.  My will to wait until this game goes on sale is weakening!

jomni I'm not bothered by the hexes and stacking limits.  I was very excited about that concept in CiV.