Civilization VI!!?!

Started by Jarhead0331, May 11, 2016, 10:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

I'm having trouble firing this up tonight...anyone else got any issues?

It takes a while before it gets to the Resume Game screen and then when I click that, old Sean Bean gives his speech. Normally that takes about a minute...but I'm having to End Task on Civ VI because it just sits there saying it's loading waaay after his speech is over.

Rebooted machine and broadband even though machine says everything is fine and broadband says 220Mb speeds - still no joy.

Cana't load my game  :'(
Alba gu' brath

W8taminute

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 25, 2016, 03:08:40 PM
Quote from: Anguille on October 25, 2016, 01:51:31 PM
There was the exception of Civilization: Call to Power and Call to Power II...overall, it's true that it's not been a part of the "official" series...but why not? I would like it.

I don't think there is a man, woman, child, cat or dog that posts at Grogheads who wouldn't love to have combined arms officially modeled in Civ.

Quoted for truth!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

undercovergeek

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 25, 2016, 04:44:52 PM

It takes a while before it gets to the Resume Game screen and then when I click that, old Sean Bean gives his speech. Normally that takes about a minute...but I'm having to End Task on Civ VI because it just sits there saying it's loading waaay after his speech is over.

Rebooted machine and broadband even though machine says everything is fine and broadband says 220Mb speeds - still no joy.

Making a brew and booting up PC - let you know in 5

bbmike

That's a common bug right now. You can add the game folder to your Windows Defender exception list and it will work again. It happened to me as well.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

JudgeDredd

Thanks UCG

Yeah - just read that somewhere else - thanks BB

It eventually started this last time.
Alba gu' brath

bbmike

Glad to hear it's working, JD!
Here's the link to the Windows Defender fix if anyone else needs it.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

undercovergeek

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 25, 2016, 04:57:13 PM
Thanks UCG

Yeah - just read that somewhere else - thanks BB

It eventually started this last time.

ive got the same which i assume means its a server side issue

Barthheart

Quote from: bbmike on October 25, 2016, 04:59:22 PM
Glad to hear it's working, JD!
Here's the link to the Windows Defender fix if anyone else needs it.

Yeah I had to do that as well.  >:(

UCG give this a try and it should run fine after that.

undercovergeek

I'll bear it in mind thanks - but it started shortly after - a good thing really, those kind of things can have me up til dawn trying to get working

Grim.Reaper

Just curious any good strategy guides especially about what kind of units you should build early and in what order?  Do you create a lot of warriors to protect your city or do you focus on expansion?  Some kind of mix?

undercovergeek

I googled on release day and then realised the most fun I've ever had with a game was civ 2 and learning it all for myself, however what I did say was -

Old civ veterans had a near script like start apparently of monument, scout, scout for the first 3 units and then a few other improvements and a builder

The order for 6 seems to be another warrior first then scout and either scout or another warrior, because once a barbarian scout runs home to tell on you (which I think is a great mechanic) you're in for some trouble

Then granary and monument

JudgeDredd

I just love finding this shit out myself.

I agree a second warrior unit is worth it due to the Barbs kicking around. You can beat a barbarian unit with one Warrior and then heal the unit. But by the time it's healed another Barbarian unit will be there. Should you come across two, you're done for and you WILL come across two. They were quite feisty at creating slingers too - much earlier than I was able to do so.
Alba gu' brath

tgb

Remember the old axiom of the best defense.  The most effective way to deal with barbarian spam is to create a Slinger (for the Eureka), and then, rather than hanging around your capitol, send them out to explore.  Destroying camps is the most effective way to cut back on Barbarians.

glen55

I am starting out monument settler settler settler settler in my current game and saving my pennies to buy military units. There has been some excitement, but it looks like I pulled through the tough part and will survive with a really fast start.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Zulu1966

What speed ? Who you with ?
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.