Civilization VI!!?!

Started by Jarhead0331, May 11, 2016, 10:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

Sounds like a ransom note from mirth

Grim.Reaper

Thanks for info...will see how things go with building.

bayonetbrant

Sadly, I'm waiting until the 31st to pick it up, because I gotta wait for payday; everything else I've got is going to my insurance deductible for my car window.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JudgeDredd

I'm getting a bit lost here.

Ages and ages and AGES ago, I earned a Great Writer. I saw that I had to "place him" with the appropriate great works. I think I read about a Library or something.

Anyway I've got 2 issues...

• I cannot for the LIFE of me place this guy - what do I need to place the Great Writer?
  • At some point I thought he needed more than a Library but that he needed a Great Library. So I started building one - but it's gone. It's not being built in any of my 4 cities. It's not even showing up in any of my 4 cities build list or potential build list...it's just disappeared...what would make that happen? Has someone else beat me to it? If so, is my Great Writer useless?

Things have progressed in my game where I'm getting slightly lost. 290 turns in and I'm not sure why I cannot do certain things - like placing the Great Writer - or like building ships to harvest fishing. I've had harbours for some time now and I can create 3 types of ship - but no trading ships. I've found other nations across the water and want to trade - but the traders I'm producing in my cities are land traders...not going across oceans. I have lots of "naval" type research completed...so why no traders.

I think the "jump in and play" tactic has run it's course. Even the normally very helpful Civlopedia has run it's course with these particular issues.
Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

Great Writer: Haven't earned one yet myself but when he is selected it tell what he's looking for. Unlike Civ V, they are not all the same, each great person does something slightly different. Go to the civilopedia and type his name in the search it will tell you about him specifically.

Fishing boats are made by builders. Had me scratching my head at first as well. But with a builder selected you should see the fishing net appear of the fish or crabs in the water.

Same for traders. Just build a trader and if you have the range he will just jump in the water and sail across the water.

tgb

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 27, 2016, 05:41:31 PM

Ages and ages and AGES ago, I earned a Great Writer. I saw that I had to "place him" with the appropriate great works. I think I read about a Library or something.

• I cannot for the LIFE of me place this guy - what do I need to place the Great Writer?
  • At some point I thought he needed more than a Library but that he needed a Great Library. So I started building one - but it's gone. It's not being built in any of my 4 cities. It's not even showing up in any of my 4 cities build list or potential build list...it's just disappeared...what would make that happen? Has someone else beat me to it? If so, is my Great Writer useless?

Things have progressed in my game where I'm getting slightly lost. 290 turns in and I'm not sure why I cannot do certain things - like placing the Great Writer - or like building ships to harvest fishing. I've had harbours for some time now and I can create 3 types of ship - but no trading ships. I've found other nations across the water and want to trade - but the traders I'm producing in my cities are land traders...not going across oceans. I have lots of "naval" type research completed...so why no traders.

I think the "jump in and play" tactic has run it's course. Even the normally very helpful Civlopedia has run it's course with these particular issues.

Re the Great Writer:

If you haven't placed any Great Writings, Art or Music yet, you have one free slot in your palace.  March the Great Writer to your capitol, and you should see a writing icon light up on his command bar.

If you have already placed something in the capitol, you have to build a Theater District in one of your cities, and then the appropriate building (library, art museum, etc).  When you've done that, selecting the Great Writer will highlight all the Theater Districts you have with available display space.  March your Writer into one of the lighted hexes, and that icon should appear.  Once you've placed your first Great Work, there will be an icon of a picture frame at the top of the screen.  Clicking on it displays all your Great Works and shows how much space you have available.

When placing Great Paintings, you get a bonus for hanging three paintings with the same theme by three different artists together in the same building.

As to where the Great Library went, since it's a Wonder I'm guessing someone else beat you to it, and you didn't catch the message (the messaging system in VI really sucks.  I've missed several important messages myself).

DennisS

Quote from: Barthheart on October 27, 2016, 06:02:25 PM
Great Writer: Haven't earned one yet myself but when he is selected it tell what he's looking for. Unlike Civ V, they are not all the same, each great person does something slightly different. Go to the civilopedia and type his name in the search it will tell you about him specifically.

Fishing boats are made by builders. Had me scratching my head at first as well. But with a builder selected you should see the fishing net appear of the fish or crabs in the water.

Same for traders. Just build a trader and if you have the range he will just jump in the water and sail across the water.

About traders...look and see how long each potential route is. A route of five turns, generating 5 gold is better than a route of ten turns generating 8 gold.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: DennisS on October 27, 2016, 09:36:36 PM

About traders...look and see how long each potential route is. A route of five turns, generating 5 gold is better than a route of ten turns generating 8 gold.
Good tip.  O0
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: tgb on October 27, 2016, 09:33:11 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 27, 2016, 05:41:31 PM

Re the Great Writer:

If you haven't placed any Great Writings, Art or Music yet, you have one free slot in your palace.  March the Great Writer to your capitol, and you should see a writing icon light up on his command bar.

If you have already placed something in the capitol, you have to build a Theater District in one of your cities, and then the appropriate building (library, art museum, etc).  When you've done that, selecting the Great Writer will highlight all the Theater Districts you have with available display space.  March your Writer into one of the lighted hexes, and that icon should appear.  Once you've placed your first Great Work, there will be an icon of a picture frame at the top of the screen.  Clicking on it displays all your Great Works and shows how much space you have available.

When placing Great Paintings, you get a bonus for hanging three paintings with the same theme by three different artists together in the same building.

As to where the Great Library went, since it's a Wonder I'm guessing someone else beat you to it, and you didn't catch the message (the messaging system in VI really sucks.  I've missed several important messages myself).

I thought I had created the right environment for the Writer to thrive.

I have built a Campus District with a library in my capital. There's also an Entertainment Complex District there. I can't build the Theatre Square until I have 13 pop (I have 11)...thing is, I've had this guy for something like 100 turns!!

In one of my other cities, I have an Entertainment complex with an Arena. I also have a Campus with a University and a Library. Can't put him there.

In another city, I have the Entertainment Complex and I can build a Theatre - so I will do that next, see if I can place him.

Thanks for the tips - but I know how the mechanism works - I have already placed a Scientist. I just couldn't work out what I had to do for the Writer.

My Great Writer is Ovid. It says..."Must occupy a District or Wonder with a free slot of the Great Work type". My problem is finding one to make. For example, The Great Library says +2 Great Works of Writing Slots...but I can't build a Great Library anywhere. Not only cannot I not build one, they're not even on the list and the point was, there was one on the list and I was building it but it's gone. I was wondering if I missed a message that said someone else created the Great Library and if that makes it disappear...I'm not going mad - I was building it.

None of my cities has any buildings either allowed to be built or even "greyed out" which will create Great Writing slots.

I think this is all moot anyway - I've just been Surprise DoW'd by Greece now.  :knuppel2: And their military is considerably more advanced than mine.

Thanks for the info on the fisherman. For some reason, I thought in the previous game you had to build a fishing boat which required a harbour etc, etc...was that in CiV IV...because now you mention it, I think in Civ V you just needed a builder and a port.

One last thing if I may - is Faith whacked? I have 3205 Faith - by FAR the biggest collection of resource (Science at 54, Culture at 48, Gold at 700) and can't do a damn thing with it.

I'm just very confused as to where the Great Library went. I know I was building it because I remember thinking "He won't go in a library - perhaps as he's a Great Writer, he needs a Great Library"...but it has actually gone with no site of it anywhere.

It's entirely possible my life will be short lived anyway - I have Greek Knights banging on my doors.
Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

Civ V did indeed have you build actual fishing boats. This is a change in VI.

For faith if you want a religion you need to Buy a prophet with faith or gold. Go to the great person screen and you can see the prophets available. If one isn't you need to wait for the next to appear.

Not sure if you need a holy site but probably. Haven't got a prophet yet myself too busy doing other stuff.

JudgeDredd

Thanks BH.

I can now use faith apparently to buy troops - however, they're all disabled (too many of that type or something!)
Alba gu' brath

tgb

The Entertainment District is there to provide Amenities, and the Campus to provide Research.  They may both have buildings that allow you to place Great Writings, but it's possible they don't.

The Great Library is a Wonder, so only one is permitted per game.  If someone else built it, it will vanish from the build menu.  If you want it that badly your only option is to capture the city in which it was built. You can only build it in a city in which you have already built a Campus District and a Library.

Previous Civ's had had a list of what Wonders had been built and where, but that seems to be missing from this version.  Don't ask me why.

JudgeDredd

Thanks tgb. I'm glad there's an answer, 'cos I knew I was building it and it vanished.

Note to self - pay more attention to messages.
Alba gu' brath

tgb

So much has changed in this version that I would recommend reading tool tips carefully, no matter how many years of playing Civ you have under your bel.