Civilization VI!!?!

Started by Jarhead0331, May 11, 2016, 10:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Ouch. Memory is soldered onto the logic board in the Macbook Airs.  :(
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JudgeDredd

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 30, 2016, 11:01:59 AM
Won't run on my 5yo computer! 
:tickedoff: :tickedoff:  :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:
Ouch - feel your pain  :'(

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 30, 2016, 02:43:09 PM
My Mac doesn't have enough onboard memory to meet minimum specs. 
Need min 6gb RAM and I'm at 4gb. 
Clearly, it's time for a new computer :) 

Anyone want to pitch into a GoFundMe for one?!
You could do - but the general response may be "It's your own fault for giving money to Apple"  :P
Alba gu' brath

DennisS

Damn. I have started perhaps half a dozen games, and haven't completed ANY. The Goddamned AI insists on declaring war on me, by at least two countries, fairly early in the game.

This last game, I had four cities, two with encampments, and EIGHT military units. My military is by far the strongest in the game. I did this at a tremendous sacrifice to my usual start, which is to try to pump out settlers and builders...I figured, wrongly, that a massive military would be a deterrent.

Nope. This game gets shelved until this is fixed.

Oh...this last game was on the dead easiest setting...and it gets worse as you go higher in difficulty.

Barthheart

Huh.... I'm playing on Prince and the AI hasn't/won't declare war on me... I have the second largest military in one game and about 5th in another.

Capn Darwin

I really think it is a matter of which combinations of leaders you get and their agendas. My prince level game I'm friends with America and just went medieval on Pedro and his missionary spam. Most things seem okay at the moment. I have some frustration with the UI and the auto advancing units thing which has cost me units in battles by having the wrong thing move. Also took a bit to figure out battering rams are support only units and you just attach them to front lines to add a buff in hitting cities.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Freyland

No one is attacking me in my Test Game at Prince. Gorgo may change that soon, but she's busy. 
I haven't played long enough to judge the AI, but there is a lot of negative comments on the Steam forum, with examples. Apparently it's so terrible there is a "Guide" to improve the AI that does so by eliminating parts of the game! For example, he says the AI doesn't know how to deal with walls in city, so his solution is to remove them from the game. Has anyone else appreciated this?

JudgeDredd

I don't remember what level I'm playing on...I think it's Prince. I have had the AI seemingly DoW on me for no reason...but as pointed out earlier in the thread, their "agendas" may influence their motivations towards you.

For example, and I'm not saying it's the case, but perhaps one of the AI players agendas was to be strong militarily. They see you building an army and decide to put the flame of ambition out. But they can't on their own because they're not strong enough, so they form a pact with someone else to kick your arse

I'm not saying that's happening - just that it's possible. I'd like to think that was the case.

I've been DoW'd twice in my 300+ turns.
Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

Quote from: Freyland on October 30, 2016, 09:04:32 PM
No one is attacking me in my Test Game at Prince. Gorgo may change that soon, but she's busy. 
I haven't played long enough to judge the AI, but there is a lot of negative comments on the Steam forum, with examples. Apparently it's so terrible there is a "Guide" to improve the AI that does so by eliminating parts of the game! For example, he says the AI doesn't know how to deal with walls in city, so his solution is to remove them from the game. Has anyone else appreciated this?

Not sure what they meant by "AI doesn't understand walls" but I watched an AI attack a city state that had walls and he brought battering rams and then siege towers to the fight. Seems to understand it to me...

The AI is still not good at combat, I'll agree, but it seems to be about where V was so hopefully they can improve it from here.

As for the random AI war declarations, you can see why they are pissed at  you. Do to the spill screen and click the bubble that says "relationship" (or something similar. It will show you a list of positive and negative modifiers to your relationship. It will even give clues as to how to improve, or worsen, your standing with them. At first these are vague but as time goes on ther reasons become clearer, ie you'll see -4 because some unknown reason, then after you've known them for awhile, and maybe the diplomatic corps tech, you'll see -4 because you have a different government... or something similar.

To make friends early, as soon as you meet someone send them an envoy, cost 25 coins, right away. Then when you get diplomatic corps tech, build an embassy in their Capitol. It won't garrentee friendship but it does make a better chance.

undercovergeek

Well, I made 2 mistakes

Firstly I wanted to wipe out the Kongo but he was the suzerain of Toronto, a massive city state between me and him who had a crap ton of units and they were surrounded by mountains funnelling me through a mountain pass guarded by archer units who picked me off as I tried to advance, it took a long time to get through and take the city. This opened the way to the Kongo who simply seemed to have an endless supply of their special units that took no penalty fighting in jungle - the ai had built up their cities surrounded by jungle - it was a lost cause, although in the end Kongo sued for peace with no loss of cities - 600 years had passed and I felt the game has gotten away from me - I had no tech, no culture - lesson learned, start new game with new battle knowledge and see how we get on, it's only 1130pm what could go wrong

Second mistake, chose Greece (not the mistake) on a smaller map and almost immediately found Rome, India and Sumeria, the problem with Rome is he likes people to expand, the problem with the map is there's not a lot of room without going through Rome - at least he stopped complaining after his first 2 cities fell - hoplites rock - there's one Roman city left, India hate me but I'm happier with the way the game is shaping up, the mistake? Playing until 4 am!

bbmike

Quote from: undercovergeek on November 02, 2016, 03:55:15 AM
...600 years had passed and I felt the game has gotten away from me - I had no tech, no culture...

This has been a problem for me since the first Civilization. I just quit a game of Civ6 after receiving notice that China was moving from the Modern Age into the Atomic Age. I had just fielded my first musket units after being in a long war with Crazy Monty and German Redbeard. It seems like every time you get involved in a long war you end up falling behind in science.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

undercovergeek

In previous civs I've always built at least a fledgling science growth with libraries and the like but ignored it here in 6 - it's my fault for concentrating only on military units, I don't blame the game at all - I think the answer is a few dedicated military cities and a few dedicated science cities - that's what I'm trying with Greece anyway

undercovergeek

2nd run fairs better - i have my 4 cities, romes 4 cities and Delhi - Ghandi was running away with the science race so we decided to peg him back a step or two, ill take his next major city and then sue for peace - almost lost rome to barbarians but the garrison held on, i need to clear out some camps and then we can get to building some decent improvements

FlickJax

Gutted cant afford at the  moment and me mods have killed Civ V, 3rd uninstall lets hope i can get it back this time.

Rayfer