Civilization VI!!?!

Started by Jarhead0331, May 11, 2016, 10:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

Fun stuff with Sean Bean... no he doesn't die...

undercovergeek

Polish DLC lands for a fiver

bbmike

Quote from: undercovergeek on December 21, 2016, 06:34:05 PM
Polish DLC lands for a fiver

Looks like Vikings as well. For another fiver.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

steve58

A 60 turn demo (playable only as China) now available on the Steam page...

If you've been living off the grid and wiping your bum with nettles in the hope that Civilization will one day have a 'try before you buy' policy, today is your lucky day. The latest in the venerable strategy series, Civilization VI [official site], now has a demo.

Players who download the Sid Meier's Civilization VI demo will be able to play as China, led by Qin Shi Huang and take their first steps building a new civilization for up to 60 turns in to the game. For those completely new to the Civilization series the demo also includes the tutorial from the full game to introduce and guide beginners to the world of Civilization.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/16/civilization-6-demo/#more-435367
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

jamus34

Insert witty comment here.

Gusington

Civ 6 on sale for about 38% off at Bundle Stars!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Yskonyn

I read a lot of complaints about the AI being unable to wage effective wars? How do you guys feel Civ 6's AI holds up?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Barthheart

The AI is still pretty weak... unfortunately. There is a user mod which make the AI better at waging war.. but then it always wants to be at war....  :P

Yskonyn

Ok, it remains on my wishlist for a bit longer then. Thanks.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Barthheart

Yeah wait for a good sale and pick it up then even if you don't play it for a wile.

solops

The AI is not "weak". It is virtually absent. The game is best considered a sandbox with no meaningful opponents. Only at the highest difficulty levels is there a challenge, at the beginning of the game, and the opposition is largely just in numbers, not in any "intelligent" actions.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

bbmike

I'm not a warmonger. The AI is really good at stopping me from winning. I think it depends on how you play. I constantly lose at Prince level. If you like to role play the game and aren't the type of player who tries to take out every other AI I think you will be okay with it.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

SirAndrewD

Quote from: solops on March 17, 2017, 02:06:33 PM
The AI is not "weak". It is virtually absent. The game is best considered a sandbox with no meaningful opponents. Only at the highest difficulty levels is there a challenge, at the beginning of the game, and the opposition is largely just in numbers, not in any "intelligent" actions.

Pretty well my experience with it.  I mean, it was fun, but I shelved Civ 6 for a about a year.  I figure it'll get better with mods and age much like Civ 5 did, it just needs to grow into it. 

As it stands, playing Civ 6 against the AI is a lot like playing with yourself, and as a 40 year old man with  more than 10 years of marriage under my belt, I do that enough as is.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

ghostryder

It's a shame that a company with the resources of Firaxis can't devote some time to A.I.--- it was real bad in Civ5. sure those hexes and limit stacks looked great on paper-but since the A.I. was completely incapable of combining arms you either had to let the A.I. cheat it's way to a science, cultural or whatnot victory or admit the A.I. could never win a conquest game. Say what you will about stacks of doom- at least they challenged you in Civ4. Since their departure no civ game has been able to---from Beyond Earth to Civ6. I simply stopped buying them after the horrendously boring and lifeless beyond Earth.

There's nothing really wrong with the designs of their games--but the best designed game that has brain dead A.I. is simply not fun-- whereas a game with design flaws but a good A.I. can be enjoyed.

No chess game would sell if it can't beat you. Heck players demand not only that but one that adapts to play style and can teach the player to improve. For some crazy reason however no one expects this in any other game outside of chess -- but i can assure you if they started to game A.I. would see a marked improvement.

Barthheart

New DLC inbound soon with 2 new Civ's

First is Persia with Cyrus II leading:

Next is Macedon with Jeff Spicoli... err... Alexander at the helm: